Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An 11-87P Resurrected

An 11-87P Resurrected

I know the hotness isn’t old Remington semiautos, but every now and then you stumble across a gem that can’t be passed up. A buddy had this old 11-87P with rifle sights and an 18.5” fixed IC choke barrel that he wanted to sell, but it didn’t run. He brought it to a class and said if I could fix it, he would sell it to me for cheap. I had it fixed the next day, and a new shotgun for $300.

Name:  8D704F9B-6DB7-48C1-81B7-FD7F796AE26A.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  93.1 KB

The person that cerekoted it apparently didn’t understand how 11-87’s worked and cerekoted the magazine tube underneath the forend, impeding function the gun. It also needed a new magazine spring to get enough juice behind the shells being launched out of the magazine to trip the carrier latch. Easy enough fixes than only took a $15 magazine spring and some elbow grease to fix.

I have added a couple bits here and there, but all together I am into this gun for less than $400. Probably the best $400 I have spent on a gun in a long time.

Even though 11-87s aren’t known for their ability to run low recoil ammunition, this one so far has only balked at one load, a low recoil 8 pellet Herters buckshot. It has even run 1100fps birdshot loads.

It has been a fun journey to learn what makes this gun run. I am usually a pump gun guy, this gun is stupid fast compared to what I am used to.

The 11-87 is, IMO, a great shotgun. While you're right, it isnt the latest, greatest, it is more than capable of holding it's own. The fact that it shares some parts commonality with the ubiquitous 870 is not lost on me. I am passively searching for an 11-87Premier to serve as my backup to my 1301 Comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    The 11-87 is, IMO, a great shotgun. While you're right, it isnt the latest, greatest, it is more than capable of holding it's own. The fact that it shares some parts commonality with the ubiquitous 870 is not lost on me. I am passively searching for an 11-87Premier to serve as my backup to my 1301 Comp.
    What separates the Premier from the other 11-87s?

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    As far as I remember, just cosmetics. But it’s been a long time since I worked at the gun shop and had my own 11-87s.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    My 11-87P has been my boom stick for over 25 years. I often wonder if I should jump on the 1301 bandwagon but I keep coming back to the realization that it has worked well for me in the field and I more than trust it at home.

If there is a weak link in the equation- it’s certainly not the gun.

Back in 2020 I found an 11-87 Police for $650. Here's a before-and-after. I've also added an XS Big Dot. I'm not really fond of the Urbino stock but it's way better than the factory stock. Choate also makes a stock for the 11-87, not sure if I'll try it or just sell the gun and put the money towards an A300 UP or 1301.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Back in 2020 I found an 11-87 Police for $650. Here's a before-and-after. I've also added an XS Big Dot. I'm not really fond of the Urbino stock but it's way better than the factory stock. Choate also makes a stock for the 11-87, not sure if I'll try it or just sell the gun and put the money towards an A300 UP or 1301.

Is the LOP on the Urbino noticeably shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    It's a hunting shotgun, not a patrol/tactical shotgun. It'll be blued, have fancy wood, it'll have the shorter carrier release whereas the the Police will have the longer version. I would want a vent rib barrel on mine

It has been awhile, but the "Premier" designation, in addition to the wood and finish, impiied a "light contour" barrel.

In any event, really nice snag. One of my hobbies is restoring old guns so they can be preserved for future generations. Saving that 11-87P is a great thing.

Site Supporter
    NH Shooter had a very memorable thread regarding the 11-87.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37084-1187P

User Tag List