Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What happens when your Wife asks to use your knife when she's gardening...

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The Hori Hori is the answer. Fiskars makes one that’s full tang with a wood handle that is one of my favorite tools every. A couple of the Japanese style ones I’ve seen or tried are half tang because that’s the traditional way to make one when you live on an island with limited amounts of iron ore. They don’t hold up nearly as well to hard use in my experience.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    That's pretty damn cool!

I'll just add that any gardening knife should be a fixed blade of some sort... Pivots and locks do not appreciate soil and dirt baths. And wet, dirty, or gloved hands can usually hold on to a fixed blade easier than a folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Wait, dont they make special garden guns?
    Anschutz made rifles in 9mm flobert called garden guns. I always thought it was .22lr just looked it up I was mistaken.
    Last edited by UNK; 02-22-2023 at 09:29 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Anschutz made rifles in 9mm flobert called garden guns. I always thought it was .22lr just looked it up I was mistaken.
    Remington made some smoothbore 22s, I think variations of the 550/572 auto and pump action. Some were for shooting galleries but I think some were marketed for pest control

My wife is absolutely a keeper, too. Couldn't live without her. One of the reasons?

Shortly after we were married, she asked me to borrow my knife. I told her "NO", and offered to buy her one of her own.

She accepted that at face value and that plan has worked for 26 years to our mutual satisfaction.

Background: I had a wife before the current one who borrowed my knife and promptly broke the tip of the blade off. Pretty much summarized our relationship.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    My wife is absolutely a keeper, too. Couldn't live without her. One of the reasons?

Shortly after we were married, she asked me to borrow my knife. I told her "NO", and offered to buy her one of her own.

She accepted that at face value and that plan has worked for 26 years to our mutual satisfaction.

Background: I had a wife before the current one who borrowed my knife and promptly broke the tip of the blade off. Pretty much summarized our relationship.
    LOL; Pretty much the same experience....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    So yesterday we're working in the yard and my wonderful she's a keeper (repeat to self, repeat to self) wife asks to use my knife.

Luckily I handed her my Benchmade Trauma which is admittedly my beat it up do anything I won't so with my defensive knive's knife...

However I didn't expect this...

Attachment 101621Attachment 101622

She's a keeper (Repeat to self)
    When did Benchmade start making trowels?
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

The good news its a tool and it will wash. The other good news is you have now justified to her why you needed such a nice knife since you have not used it much. The next time you buy a knife you can always point out how great it will handle gardening task as a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    So yesterday we're working in the yard and my wonderful she's a keeper (repeat to self, repeat to self) wife asks to use my knife.

Luckily I handed her my Benchmade Trauma which is admittedly my beat it up do anything I won't so with my defensive knive's knife...

However I didn't expect this...

Attachment 101621Attachment 101622

She's a keeper (Repeat to self)
    Did she dig with it or cut with it?

Maybe a nice set of pruning shears and a hand trowel as a gift for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @MDFA, if she asks to borrow your gun for gardening... then I'd worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Wait, dont they make special garden guns?
    Every gun is a gardening gun, if you do gardening correctly, no?

We were supposed to turn the soil in a gardening plot. I kept trying to explain how this could be done with much less effort, but for some reason my girlfriend just wouldn't go along with my excellent plan: first you grab a shotgun and some (probably preferably non-lead, like DDupleks Monolit) slugs, and shoot some holes into the soil. Next you grab some dynamite and cut the sticks into smaller pieces. Attach your fuse and drop a piece into each hole. Light your fuses when ready. Badabing, badaboom - the soil has now been turned.

(Don't forget to tune into That Guy's Gardening Programme again next week, when we'll be looking at the many uses of a flame thrower around the house and garden.)

Those Japanese Garden Knives are great. I've had one for over 20 years. It is the best small garden tool I own.

Pulling weeds, digging holes for planting, cutting roots with the serrated edge, cutting open fertilizer bags. A great tool.

User Tag List