Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide stop activated while firing - Shadow Systems DR

Slide stop activated while firing - Shadow Systems DR

My SS DR came with Glock OEM gen 3/4 extended slide stop. I noticed that it gets activated when I am shooting strings. This has never happened to me with a Glock using extended slide stops.

While looking at my grip, it does seem that my support (left) hand is a bit higher than on a Glock. Have others encountered this issue? Is substituting a non-extended slide stop a good first step before changing grip?

I had this issue with Glocks when using a very aggressive/high thumbs forward grip. My left hand (support hand) would bump the slide catch up while shooting. I used the Kagwerks extented/raised slide catch for a while, and it works well in getting the lever away from your thumb and hand. Long term, howerver, I found that I needed to work on my grip to alleviate the issue. I’ve since gone back to factory slide catch levers and haven’t had any issues

I’d try a non-extended one first, and see how that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    My SS DR came with Glock OEM gen 3/4 extended slide stop. I noticed that it gets activated when I am shooting strings. This has never happened to me with a Glock using extended slide stops.

While looking at my grip, it does seem that my support (left) hand is a bit higher than on a Glock. Have others encountered this issue? Is substituting a non-extended slide stop a good first step before changing grip?
    @JCS turned me on to the Kagwerks and I really like that.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have that problem on Glocks with extended slide stops and sometimes factory as well. For me it's because I can't get good traction right at the stupid "dimple" in the Glock frame as that's where the drumstick of my left thumb clamps down on the support side of the gun.

I fix it by applying some 3M Safety Tape right to that area to get something I can really dig into. Degrease with isopropyl alcohol, cut out a section that fits exactly the area where you need more traction. Looking at the Shadow Systems frames I think there's enough area there for the tape to adhere properly and stay. One application lasts me at least a couple of years if the frame was properly degreased before applying.

I'd stick with the 3M because it doesn't shed grit like lots of similar products do, meaning it doesn't end up in your holster or the working bits of your gun.
    3/15/2016

Kagwerks is the way. It may look weird and off-putting at first but, it works great at eliminating this issue. Only thing you need to watch out for is interference with your holster(s).

For kydex, you may need to heat and press a small section to account for it. On a Safariland 6378, I found I needed to remove the ALS mechanism and file an edge or two down on the inside of it that were occasionally catching on the Kagwerks lever.

Name:  20210711_194610_tn.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  20210828_114546_tn.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  33.4 KB

If not mentioned already--check to make sure the slide stop is installed properly. If the little spring lever is not in the proper location with the locking block pin the slide stop may not have proper downward pressure. This means the slide stop can bounce around during recoil and make its way into the notch in the slide without being pushed up by the magazine follower.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Kagwerks is local to me but I've never tried it (probably because I've never had this issue). I've always meant to but never got around to it, thanks for the reminder.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

The Shadow Systems, is a gift that keeps on giving...

Based on the recommendations, I ordered the Kagwerks. Upon installing it into the DR and doing function checks, the slide would lock back by itself, simply from me cycling it back and forth. The spring pressure feels a light on the Kagwerks while installed in the DR. I verified that the Kagwerks spring is under the locking block pin.

Installing the Kagwerks into factory G19.4, it worked without any issues while manually cycling the slide.

Is it some weird tolerance stacking between Kagwerks and shadow? I double/triple checked and reinstalled the slide stop 5 times and it still locks the slide while it's manually cycled.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I'm not shocked.

The Shadow Systems guns are a lot like Glocks...but not quite exactly like Glocks. Small differences in the frames, in the way the parts fit together, all can add up to produce a part that works fine on a Glock but not on the SS. If you are experiencing slide lock just from manually running the slide on the SS gun using a different part, then it's possible it was never your grip in the first place and was something up with the gun. Might be time to contact SS and see what they say.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Might be time to contact SS and see what they say.
    Let's see how long it will take me to get an answer this time...Last time was about 4 weeks.

User Tag List