Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 75hard challenge

Site Supporter
    Thak you... reach out in three months or so...

pat

Is there any reason the workout can't be yoga or Tai Chi for the time slot? For the average sedentary overweight American, that would still be a huge improvement over eating potato chips on a couch watching reality TV.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Is there any reason the workout can't be yoga or Tai Chi for the time slot? For the average sedentary overweight American, that would still be a huge improvement over eating potato chips on a couch watching reality TV.
    From the little I read about it, it just says a workout. If all you can do is yoga or Tai Chi for 45 minutes, twice daily, then you do that.
    --Jason--

I turned 32 a month ago and I have:

1. Two shoulder dislocations resulting in a scope. Scope “fixed” the torn cartilage labrum but even five pull-ups or 30 push-ups and I’ll knot so badly that I’m in severe discomfort in the elbow and wrist. It’s bad enough to be the limiting factor in my push-ups now.
    2. Three partial MCL tears, a dislocated patella that tore a hole in the cartilage on the back of my patella, and a very shallow ridge for my patella to ride in. Strained/minor tear in my calf about six months ago and now have something weird going on with my heel in the same leg. The calf was related ti the knee injuries LC the heel likely is too. Diagnosed arthritis in my knee and ankle.
    3. TBI from a stupid landing during an airborne operation. Have yet to recover normal speech pattern and memory. More frequent neck pain persists.
    4. Currently under diagnosis for recurrent migraines that basically put me in bed for an entire work day. I’ve had five since thanksgiving, always after a hard workout. Unknown if the TBI was a factor.

That’s the bulk of the relevant physical stuff. The emotional and mental that has come with some of that, especially considering that the worst knee injury significantly altered my life and was only a few months after a near fatal accident brings a lot more.

I wrote all of that to say that yoga is some hippie ass shit. It’s also something that will probably be almost essential both the older and/or more active I become.

I think a lot of people would benefit just as much from slamming weights and putting miles on their feet as they would yoga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    First of all, big props to @cornstalker for completing the challenge and making significant improvements in multiple areas. That is freaking awesome. cornstalker - you are a machine!

The following comments are from the perspective of someone who has embraced fitness for 40 years. I workout 3 - 6 times per week and recent DEXA scan put me in the 99th percentile for FMI (fat mass index) mass for my age. I love exercise, and nerd out on nutrition and health. With that out of the way...

For most people, the workout requirements in the challenge are a recipe for disaster. For most Americans, jumping in two 45 min workouts per day, every single day for 75 days, will result in some kind of injury.

I don't want to discourage folks from doing the challenge, but I think it's important to note the workout requirements violate almost every principle of effective programing.

As always, mileage will vary.
    Those are great call outs. I would definitely recommend reading the book, or listen the the RealAF podcast episode #14 before starting. Andy does mention that if your physical condition is as such that all you can do is walk for 45 minutes for a workout, then that is what you do. As long as you can look in the mirror and honestly know that you challenged yourself, not coddled yourself, then it counts. Everyone’s situation is different an you have to start somewhere. It’s much more about the discipline and challenging yourself than it is about risking foolish injury. Gotta be honest though.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My son's regimen for speed was all: 5 pull-ups 10 push-ups 15 squats for 20 cycles and that's how I did mine. By my third Murph I got those done in about 30 minutes but my runs were invalid slow and painful.

Now I'll go out on Memorial Day and AMRAP kettlebell swings of the #53 for 20 minutes (~350) and be smoked and having hallucinations.

Attachment 101908
    Hmmm. I’ve done a Memorial Day Murph for the past four years or so but a 20 minute AMRAP of kettlebell swings sounds pretty good too. Are you doing two handed or one handed swings for that?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Decided to do it right...
    Last edited by UNM1136; 03-04-2023 at 07:58 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    From the little I read about it, it just says a workout. If all you can do is yoga or Tai Chi for 45 minutes, twice daily, then you do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Those are great call outs. I would definitely recommend reading the book, or listen the the RealAF podcast episode #14 before starting. Andy does mention that if your physical condition is as such that all you can do is walk for 45 minutes for a workout, then that is what you do. As long as you can look in the mirror and honestly know that you challenged yourself, not coddled yourself, then it counts. Everyone’s situation is different an you have to start somewhere. It’s much more about the discipline and challenging yourself than it is about risking foolish injury. Gotta be honest though.
    My take as well. This first week has been all about long walks in the park with the dog and long walks on stairs at work in body armor and a duty belt. I have the P90X videos converted to MP4 and will use them as quick get-it-in workouts, and maybe the 90 minute yoga video on days off of work.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Hmmm. I’ve done a Memorial Day Murph for the past four years or so but a 20 minute AMRAP of kettlebell swings sounds pretty good too. Are you doing two handed or one handed swings for that?
    Two. Single handed swings work 'ok' on my right but invariably I aggravate wrist and elbow stuff on the left. So I steer around them mostly.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I need to get back into doing kettlebell swings regularly again. I used to do them a few times a week, but mostly I've been incorporating my kettlebells into my weight training workouts.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List