Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: being "trail safe"

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    You don't have to give up your big bores that you love.

Just carry them in a different form.

The Glock 21 (or HK) slinging 250 grain slugs at 925 FPS is your basic .45 Colt in a lighter, easier to shoot, and faster to reload package!

I know 10mms are super popular, and for good reason, but a good polymer .45 does a lot of things very well and is often completely overlooked these days.

That, and hike with a friend you can outrun.
    You don't have to change anything on a G21 (specifically a gen 2 in my case) for that load?

The ballistics look like those for a +P load. How often would one need to watch over parts and be ready to replace them if that load is shot often (and I'm not sure what shot often would translate to in terms of actual rounds so any extra info would help).

ETA: any change in the POA/POI?
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 02-18-2023 at 06:09 PM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    You don't have to change anything on a G21 (specifically a gen 2 in my case) for that load?

The ballistics look like those for a +P load. How often would one need to watch over parts and be ready to replace them if that load is shot often (and I'm not sure what shot often would translate to in terms of actual rounds so any extra info would help).

ETA: any change in the POA/POI?
    It is definitely a +P load. While I developed it using a stock Gen 3 G21 and stock recoil spring, when shooting it, I tend to run a 20# Wolff recoil spring, which I would recommend if you are going to shoot it often. I have not noted any parts issues on my guns so far, with the heavier recoil spring in place. It is my personal favorite semi auto load for hiking in bear country. On some trips I tend to just take one handgun, and it may be a 1911, as it works well as a CCW, as well as a trail gun, and just use this load for everything.

I don't think you are going to see much difference in POA/POI at self defense distances. Recoil management and good trigger control are going to be a bigger factor. When shooting heavy loads, it takes a little practice to get the timing down. Once you do though, you can really hammer a target.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Do you have any experience on the differences in the runners kit vs original kit bag?
    I thought the runners kit just added a strap ?

As I recall they have two different size bags.

Site Supporter
    @fatdog I sent that Vice news link to a friend who I hike with out there sometimes and he respndded with this.

Damn, should have known it all stemmed from some dude trying to stack hoes all the way to the star-gate
    Also, I’ll be adding carbonated and uncarbonated beings to my vaocbulary now.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I believe it was on P-F, but it was a discussion on the reactionary window in a similar situation. Perp reaction times based on head position from the victim's view, such as eyes averted, profile view of the nose, view of ear canal. Using this in combination with your known draw speed.

Again, not sure where exactly I saw this, but found the idea interesting.
    From here:

https://www.instagram.com/activeself...3-5EFB6A1D4590

https://www.tierthreetactical.com/is...ave-your-life/

Average Draw Speeds for Different Self Defense Situations

Bad guy with eyes on you and weapon presented: average draw speed needed (0.6 sec)

Bad guy moves nose and eyes from you, weapon presented: average draw speed needed (1.0 sec)

Bad guy shows you his ear, head angled away, weapon presented: average draw speed needed (1.5 sec)

Bad guy shows you the back of his head, weapon presented: average draw speed needed (2.0 sec)
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I stopped going into the woods without a firearm after talking to some DCNR (Department of Conservation and Natural Resources) rangers. In PA they function similar to NPS rangers in the Federal Park system. They cover our state parks and state forests.

I live a relatively sedate part of the Commonwealth but they have some interesting stories. I've heard enough from different rangers about illegal grows, meth labs, and MHID/voluntarily homeless from a wide variety of them.

As I hit some of the trail systems in my part of the state and ran into some interesting people, it just reinforced the notion.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    IME the ironically named Hill People Gear “kit bag” chest rig - essentially a chest mounted “Fanny pack” is the easiest way to carry when hiking, especially with a pack. It comes in non-tactical colors.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I’ve long held the position that THE number one threat is ALWAYS two legged.

Crime and threats in the outdoors are nothing new.
    I use that bag all the time for mountain biking, hiking, black bear hunting, whathaveyou. Ideal.

And, yeah, I’m comfortable in the city with a J-frame, in places where permitted. On the trail outside of city limits, I typically go G17. And 2 spare mags. Mas Ayoob was talking about national parks and the like being sketch back in the 80s, and I doubt it’s gotten any better.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I have a HPG Kit Bag if anyone needs insight they can’t find elsewhere. I don’t remember which model but I’ll find out. Use it a lot though it’s mostly to transport to and from the jeep for quick trips nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I thought the runners kit just added a strap ?

As I recall they have two different size bags.
    Afaik the runners kit bag is a slimmer version of the original kit bag, lacking the middle zipper compartment. Stabilizing straps in the past were usually an extra addition and did not come with the bags, not sure if that has changed.

There is also a snubby runners bag which is much smaller than the others.

By the way .. great news, they started offering most kit bags in a very not tactical blue/grouse blue as standard order items (used to be special order / waiting list only in the past).

User Tag List