Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: being "trail safe"

being "trail safe"

Salamander's excellent posts got me thinking about this subject. Our deer season is finally over and I am headed into my favorite haunts in the Talladega National Forest this weekend because that marks the beginning of "safe to hike" season. But events late last summer in an area I frequent have got a lot of us TNF hiking and 4 wheeling people looking over our shoulder in a different way.

There are a few, very few, Black bears in the TNF and in the last 30 years I have never seen one. Our greatest critter threats are timber rattlers, copperheads, rapid coyotes, feral dogs, rapid racoons I would say in that order. I once would have told you MJ growers were the greatest human threats if you stumbled into their grow patches, but they have been pretty well suppressed the last decade or so, or at least it seems that way to me. Then you have a few methbilly's, but those are not as frequently encountered the last 5-6 years because the cartel import streams have priced their manufacturing efforts out of the market. We have had a really bad run of rural convenience store robberies and murders the last few years, particularly in Talladega county, and until last summer, that was probably the place where I was on highest alert, stopping to gas up or grab something on my way to the trailhead.

The murder of a college student by some really strange hobo's who had built a big camp last summer changed everybody's perspective. While the judge in the case put a gag order on everybody involved, there have been some third party researchers who turned up a lot of disturbing facts about the murderers

Summary of the incident

From other reports, we know that there were over a half dozen tents in this hobo encampment, so it was a much larger group than these two women. Who knows when the others decided to bug out. The five year old toting a pump shotgun around...yesh...I respect the restraint the deputies showed.

I really hate that my peace of mind about wilderness hiking has been more or less disrupted by this event, but it is probably a healthy wake up call for solo hikers like me. I think Salamander pointed out a lot about the criminal human element of wilderness safety in his posts.

The days of me entering the trail with anything but a hi-cap handgun and two reloads are certainly over forever. I guess I should go ahead and sell all these great "woods gun" big bore revolvers because I will never carry one again. The nearest grizzly is over 1,500 air miles away, but what I could stumble into is now just as challenging in my mind and it might resemble a firefight more than trying to stop the charge of a bad critter.

My alertness will be tuned up this weekend and from now on I guess. Stumbling upon a timber rattler will happen this year as it always does, and we will just avoid each other as usual. Stumbling on violent gangster cult hobo's is much higher on my risk list now.

And no, if you have me at gun point and a window opens, I am not going to give you a chance by telling you to drop the gun and get on the ground like this kid did. A whole lot more shooting and no time for talking.
    Last edited by fatdog; 02-18-2023 at 12:54 AM.

Site Supporter
    I always carry a G19 and extra mag with me when I'm on the trail. My college roommate's brother claimed to have shared a campsite with Eric Rudolf one night. At the time, he didn't know who Rudolf was, so no awkward moments. I'm not 100% sure he's correct, but you never know who you might meet out in the woods.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

You don't have to give up your big bores that you love.

Just carry them in a different form.

The Glock 21 (or HK) slinging 250 grain slugs at 925 FPS is your basic .45 Colt in a lighter, easier to shoot, and faster to reload package!

I know 10mms are super popular, and for good reason, but a good polymer .45 does a lot of things very well and is often completely overlooked these days.

That, and hike with a friend you can outrun.

Even sitting in the Whataburger across the street from the PD headquarters, you are, nonetheless, on your own when things go sideways - so be prepared. That said, being in the woods is the epitome of being on your own. Roll heavy.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I hike quite a bit and always carry. Lately, it’s my P365 X Macro without the comp and a full mag reload. Like you, I’m more concerned with human threats than wildlife.

My wife and I are headed to a trail in TN now. Hike on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    You don't have to give up your big bores that you love.

Just carry them in a different form.
    Yep the gen 5 G21 was bought for this purpose, and likes your heavy load, for which it is now zero'ed, but the Ruger Blackhawk and Smith 625 are now official safe queens.

Finding someone slower than me to hike with might be quite a challenge however...

Timely thread as I'm about to take a solo trip to a national park. I don't ever do off body carry but the thought of hiking all day while carrying is less than appealing even with an enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    And no, if you have me at gun point and a window opens, I am not going to give you a chance by telling you to drop the gun and get on the ground like this kid did. A whole lot more shooting and no time for talking.
    I believe it was on P-F, but it was a discussion on the reactionary window in a similar situation. Perp reaction times based on head position from the victim's view, such as eyes averted, profile view of the nose, view of ear canal. Using this in combination with your known draw speed.

Again, not sure where exactly I saw this, but found the idea interesting.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Salamander's excellent posts got me thinking about this subject. Our deer season is finally over and I am headed into my favorite haunts in the Talladega National Forest this weekend because that marks the beginning of "safe to hike" season. But events late last summer in an area I frequent have got a lot of us TNF hiking and 4 wheeling people looking over our shoulder in a different way.

There are a few, very few, Black bears in the TNF and in the last 30 years I have never seen one. Our greatest critter threats are timber rattlers, copperheads, rapid coyotes, feral dogs, rapid racoons I would say in that order. I once would have told you MJ growers were the greatest human threats if you stumbled into their grow patches, but they have been pretty well suppressed the last decade or so, or at least it seems that way to me. Then you have a few methbilly's, but those are not as frequently encountered the last 5-6 years because the cartel import streams have priced their manufacturing efforts out of the market. We have had a really bad run of rural convenience store robberies and murders the last few years, particularly in Talladega county, and until last summer, that was probably the place where I was on highest alert, stopping to gas up or grab something on my way to the trailhead.

The murder of a college student by some really strange hobo's who had built a big camp last summer changed everybody's perspective. While the judge in the case put a gag order on everybody involved, there have been some third party researchers who turned up a lot of disturbing facts about the murderers

Summary of the incident

From other reports, we know that there were over a half dozen tents in this hobo encampment, so it was a much larger group than these two women. Who knows when the others decided to bug out. The five year old toting a pump shotgun around...yesh...I respect the restraint the deputies showed.

I really hate that my peace of mind about wilderness hiking has been more or less disrupted by this event, but it is probably a healthy wake up call for solo hikers like me. I think Salamander pointed out a lot about the criminal human element of wilderness safety in his posts.

The days of me entering the trail with anything but a hi-cap handgun and two reloads are certainly over forever. I guess I should go ahead and sell all these great "woods gun" big bore revolvers because I will never carry one again. The nearest grizzly is over 1,500 air miles away, but what I could stumble into is now just as challenging in my mind and it might resemble a firefight more than trying to stop the charge of a bad critter.

My alertness will be tuned up this weekend and from now on I guess. Stumbling upon a timber rattler will happen this year as it always does, and we will just avoid each other as usual. Stumbling on violent gangster cult hobo's is much higher on my risk list now.

Have you watched any of David Paulides trail safety videos by any chance? https://youtu.be/dYvwf1vLyps

Site Supporter
    Force Science did a breakdown of someone drawing against a drawn gun and found that it can and has been done. I've seen it in class. Esp. if the gun holder is blabbling, the disconnect from your verbalism gives the shooter enough time to shoot you. However, if you are the gun holder and just watch the hands of the opponent you shoot him first.

My relatives in the PNW lived where there were great trails to hike on. Now they won't as they are full of sketchy folks. We used to do the Portland systems, don't know if I would if I lived there anymore. @Clusterfrack - is Tryon Creek funky? They said Forest Park was a definite no go.

Hochul has made our trails safe by banning carry in the Bruen aftermath.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 02-18-2023 at 11:25 AM.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List