Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experiences with Warne or Shield Arms standard Glock magazine extensions?

Any experiences with Warne or Shield Arms standard Glock magazine extensions?

I'm not really considering them for carry, but I've been eyeballing some +5 magazine extensions for Glock mags for a while (19 and 17 mags), and I know the "school solution" is TTI's but I'm not a fan of their retention system. The Shield Arms ones seem to use a similar retention system as TTI, but the Warne extensions are different.

I know the Warne's were made with USPSA mag restrictions in mind. I'm not sure about the Shield Arms. I'm not currently shooting matches, but I'm thinking about starting back into it if ammo and component prices continue to come down, so I'd like to be able to use them there.

Any input would be appreciated.

Site Supporter
    What not just buy factory 24 round mags with no extension?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    What not just buy factory 24 round mags with no extension?

I actually have several of those. But, I don't believe they work for USPSA (too long). They are a handy size, and have replaced the 33rd mag I used to keep in my center console.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I actually have several of those. But, I don't believe they work for USPSA (too long). They are a handy size, and have replaced the 33rd mag I used to keep in my center console.
    My recollection is that they come in just under the USPSA length limit. I don't shoot USPSA, so I have no practical reason to remember this, but you might want to grab one of yours and measure it.

It appears the 24rd mags are ~165mm, which would be fine in Open... but if I shot a match, I'd shoot under Carry Optics, and the limit is 140mm. I'm certain I'd get my butt whupped in Open, but I'm probably not going to be super competitive in Carry Optics either. So maybe it doesn't matter.

Nothing bad bad experiences from friends with shield arms stuff.

The *other* school solution is Arredondo. The Arredondo extensions are the most secure I’ve seen. I’ve had a taran pop off an empty mag, and heard of others doing the same. Never had an Arredondo (or the re-branded Arredondo baseplates sold as ghosts for cheaper) have any issues.

Lot of guys running the Henning group extensions, as well as the Dawson baseplates for competition.

Taran extensions are over rated garbage.

Arrendondo mag extensions are extremely secure and extremely robust.

Personally, i've found that the most reliable extension you can find is the Glock factory plus 2. I have a set of training magazines that have probably north of 250k rounds through those five mags. I've never changed the original springs in the ten years that i've been using these magazines.

I wouldn't carry these but they're still working without issue. I should probably replace the springs lol. It's incredible how durable Glock magazines are.

I've heard the Arrendondo extensions are good, but the requirement of a special tool to remove them has always been a turn off for me.

I found that Palmetto State had the +5's for $25 each for both Glock 19 and 17 mags, so I ordered one of each to try, and kicked in a small donation to GOA while I was at it. Their website pictures were of the +3/2 models, but the part numbers were for the +5/4 versions. We'll see what shows up. I'll try to remember to update this thread after I get them and put a few rounds through them.

Like I said, these really are not for carry use (though I wouldn't rule it out, if they prove reliable), and I already have some mags with the OEM +2's and the 24's.

Don't rule out Magpul 21 rounders. In my experience they're great.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Don't rule out Magpul 21 rounders. In my experience they're great.
    I bought a couple of these a few years back, and they were the only magazines to induce a stoppage in my (now gone) Gen4 Glock 19. I don't trust them very much. (ETA: I had several jams with the two mags I tried, to be clear)

The size is great, and I wish Glock made a similar sized OEM mag. If I could get a 20-22rd OEM @ 140mm, I'd buy ten of them today. I have only put a few rounds through them in my Gen5 guns, and have not really given them a fair shake since my Gen4 issues. I should probably try them again. At one point, IIRC Magpul didn't suggest using them in Gen5 guns, but I don't know if anyone ever sorted out why. Magpuls website currently says they are compatible with all Glocks now. I know a lot of guys here in the G26.5 thread seem to like their 12rd 26 mag quite a bit.

User Tag List