Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: QUIT DRINKING ALCOHOL NOW

I used to be pretty anti-booze but have succumbed a bit over time.

My dad was a wild man back in the day. Like, wear a shirt with his nickname to bars just to get into more fights about it kind of wild man. Drinkinst, fightinist guy around. He's all crippled up now and it'd directly due to using his body as a jackhammer his whole life (mechanic), but a lot of damage was done in those days.

He put it down when I was born and I've never seen him drink, although he was always open with his wild and crazy stories. Never had alcohol in the house of any kind. Pretty anti-alcohol and the stupidity it brings.

I made it through college without drinking. I had really good friends who always offered to share but never pushed it on me, and I appreciate that greatly. I hate a drunk or being around drunk people.

Finally gave in when i was about 36, on a business trip, and tired of explaining i don't drink to people. I jumped straight in and decided to adopt Scotch figuring it both had enough variety there was lots to try, and it was too damn expensive to for my cheap ass to get drunk and into to be in trouble. I don't sit around drinking at home. If I have a sip it's after the kids are in bed, but that's rare even. I don't want my girls to have a sense of "dude sitting around drinking" being normal to them. It's not a good recipe for a husband/father in general and since I'm the theoretical model for them to look to was what a man should be, I don't like that to be in the checklist anywhere. My wife will enjoy a bit of wine every now and then (her mom and sister are both sorta lushes with the stuff). They all took a napa trip last fall (and didn't even bring any autoparts home!).

As such, I occasionally partake in various whisk(e)ys these days but mostly at special events. I'm still working on one of the bottles i bought pre-covid lockdown, even. I'll drink a beer if I have to but I really don't care for it much. It mostly just makes me sleepy. Honestly none of it stays with me very long (of course I don't keep the ramp going, as JBP said in the video).

If it all ceased to exist, my world wouldn't change the least. But i've learned to appreciate it to a small degree.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    The first time I had alcohol was in college. A friend had a bottle of port, and I drank a couple of small glasses. After the second glass, I wondered how I was supposed to turn the strange feeling off. That was it for me. It always amazes me when parents say, “My kids went to bed, and we had a few drinks.” What the hell happens when your kids have an emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    2 drinks over the course of an hour is significantly less cognitive impairment than working a double shift. It's not going to turn you into a zombie potato.

My alcohol intake is roughly 1 drink a week. I think I'll be fine.
    Aside from what BB said you also build up a tolerance. After some time those 2 glasses you had wouldn't give you that feeling. In fact real alcoholics act drunk when they're sober. They "sober up" with a few drinks and it takes a lot for them to actually get drunk. But you're talking professional alcoholics.

And it matters how you drink. Guzzling beer / pounding shots, or casually sipping. You can get to where you sip all day and never get drunk but finish a case of beer or whatever you're into.

I have a few drinks on the weekends. Varies between beer and hard liquor depending on what I'm doing

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    ...I could see where booze could turn me into a buffoon.
    I don't need booze for that to happen to me, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    To be faaaaaiiiir, it is worth calling out here that if beer is your thing check out Athletic Brewing Company's line of non-alcoholic beers. They have lite, they have an ale called Golden which is my favorite and a couple of IPAs. All non-alcoholic.

With a fraction of the calories. Like I think the IPAs are like 65 calories vs 200+ for normal IPAs.

And best of all, if you taste test them, you'll judge them to be VERY good beers. Not compromises, not O'Douls. But damn good IPAs for example and they're non-alcoholic and low cal.
    I've cut out my 1-2 beers/night since I'm training to get back into semi-competitive cycling. But I friggin' love beer. Heineken's 0.0 stuff kinda tastes like beer and it's the best I've found, but I'm not fond of it. I need to try ABC's ale, it sounds like what I'm looking for.

NO U

I'm not much of a drinker. One or two "drinks" a week would probably be about normal for me, at most. I'll occasionally get on a kick of an ice cold beer after a day working in the hot summer sun... but I still have most of a 12 pack sitting here, of my "summer" beer from last year.

I generally don't like being "out of control" of my bodily and cognitive functions. I like being armed, and my state made a BAC of .05 the new DUI limit/level... and that also applies to drinking and guns/CCW. It's not worth risking my toting permit (let alone my job etc) to have a drink with dinner anymore, most of the time. I did have a beer with my birthday dinner recently. I usually drive, and prefer not to risk it. I don't think having a drink is a bad thing, but being a drunk and addicted certainly is. Binge drinking is maybe even worse than being a classic "drunk"... But Folks should be able to make their own decisions, and I'd prefer not to nanny-state everyone. On the flip side of that, throw the book at habitual DUI, they deserve it.

I've always had a pretty strict one drink/beer limit when not at home. An old co-worker of mine gave this advice to everyone: "Don't drink anywhere you can't take your pants off." I think it was good advice.

Site Supporter
    I had a lot of fun in my younger years, nothing crazy but just enough lube for my introvert self to dance and hit on the ladies.

I wish I could do it again but my belly and my body can't handle even two drinks. Once in a blue moon I'll hit some red wine for a glass.

Maybe tonight is a blue moon.

I don’t drink much at all.

But I used to.

Been alcohol poisoning drunk more than a few times.

Lotta days, hell weeks I don’t remember.

Been to AA.

Just don’t want it anymore. There’s always liquor in the house, I have a shot on occasion if it’s a special occasion, but the urge to drink is gone. Never was a self medicator, just partied hard.

Liberated from alcohol since 12/17/2011. God willing it stays that way, one day at a time.

My patients ask me about alcohol all of the time. This is what I tell them:

1) Alcohol is potentially heart beneficial due to its ability to raise HDL (good cholesterol) and lower LDL (bad cholesterol). However, it is only a small part of the big picture like exercise, diet, not smoking, good sleep, treating known cardiovascular risk factors.

2) You should probably limit your intake to one standard drink (12 oz of beer, 5 oz of wine, 1 oz of 100 proof liquor) per day. There was a study in Lancet that looked at 600,000 people without heart problems. People who drank 10 or more drinks per week died 1-2 years earlier vs. people who drank 5 drinks or less per week. People who drank >18 drinks per week cut their life expectancy by 4-5 years.

3) If you don't drink, don't start.

4) I drink a scotch maybe 5 times a month (I'm always working).

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I

From a religious standpoint, this position paper is as good as any that can be found.

https://ag.org/Beliefs/Position-Pape...e-from-Alcohol
    A slightly larger and older church’s position:
    2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List