Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: QUIT DRINKING ALCOHOL NOW

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    You’ve reminded me of a story. By profession, I have been in literally *hundreds* of bars, breweries, wineries, hotel lobbies that serve cocktails, whathaveyou, over the years. I see my fair share of career drunks. One time, in the bar of what was at the time the nicest hotel in town, I’m doing my hybrid classical music thing. This guy—who has probably been drinking all day by the time he hit our hotel lobby—starts talking loudly about how he’s “the best spoon player in the world.” Won’t shut up about it. About 15 min later, hand to god, he pulls out a set of musical spoons, and he’s going “clackety clack clack” along with the art music that the rest of the bar is trying to enjoy, and I’m trying to be a part of performing. Serious pain in the ass. Eventually, the guy gets so vocal that he gets kicked out. On the break, I’m talking to the bartender “What took so long?”

“Man, I’m sorry about that, but we have to make *really* sure that it’s warranted before we are allowed to kick anyone out. But if it’s any consolation, I can tell you that he was paying 20 bucks a cocktail for water with flavors mixed in for the last 4 rounds…”

Site Supporter
    Trying to parse this thread against my Army experiences is an interesting thing.
    PTing at 0445, working until 1800, drinking 8-15 drinks with the boys from 1900-0200ish, and PTing at 0445ish the next day was a common thing. Done for weeks straight, no less.

I don't miss those 0445 PT formations, I don't miss Bud Ice or Fireball or any of that other trash we drank, but I definitely miss drinking with those guys.

Alcohol consumption can drastically affect your health, both physically and mentally. This is well known.
    I've seen the good and the bad sides of it; Some of my happiest memories with good people I've known are set against a backdrop of drinking together.
    But I've also destructively self-medicated through deep depression and loss with Dr. Jack and Mr. Beam to barely-functional excess.

I've sat with a dear friend and enjoyed an very long evening as we both completely emptied and deeply enjoyed a whole bottle of 29 year old single malt together.
    I've also seen our flag draped over the casket of an NCO I deeply respected who died of liver cirrhosis, because Dr. Jack Daniels was the only doctor he'd talk to about the demons that followed him home.

Bottom line, folks, is that Alcohol is a component that doubles down on whatever reason you're drinking. If you're drinking for bad reasons, it's going to make all that bad stuff worse. If you're drinking for happy reasons, it often makes those happy occasions just that much more fun.

If you're living a life where your happy occasions aren't made happier by alcohol, by all means skip it and do your thing.
    If it's been 10 years since you drank and some part of you is still dying to crack open a bottle - Well done! Keep up the good fight!

The key, as with anything, is to maintain self awareness and self control. Accept help if you need it, and just as with any other vice or material thing in life - never let it control you more than you're controlling it.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

Bottom line, folks, is that Alcohol is a component that doubles down on whatever reason you're drinking. If you're drinking for bad reasons, it's going to make all that bad stuff worse. If you're drinking for happy reasons, it often makes those happy occasions just that much more fun.
    Fair and sensible.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Indeed, interesting responses in this thread. I dunno… I have a couple of beers nearly every night over the course of a few hours. I’ve done “experiments” and can tell no difference in how I feel in the morning regardless of whether I drink or not. Once, when I gave up beer for Lent, I promptly developed kidney stones… I don’t have any perceived issues when I don’t drink for a day or two (those rare occasions when I work overnights), so I don’t think I necessarily have a physiological dependence. If nothing else, it’s a habit that I enjoy that helps me to unwind from a management job. I really do sincerely enjoy craft beer, bourbon, and the crafting of cocktails. I may knock the 2 a day down to one a day, but the timing would be critical to the enjoyment. I am intimately familiar with the dangers; my father and grandfather were both alcoholics, albeit with very different manifestations. I am also acutely aware of the image that my kids see. Maybe once or twice a year, I’ll drink to “excess” and it’s a conscious decision (hunting or fishing trips with friends). Otherwise, I don’t drink enough to result in impairment or a hangover the next day. Like most things in life, I think this is a very individual topic and experience.

Site Supporter
    I would largely agree with this except alcohol is a depressant and it does impair judgement.

My theological view is drunkness is bad but alcohol isn’t. Jesus’ first miracle was water into wine, etc.

My family/life view is that alcohol has often taken over people’s lives. I also have a long history of addiction and alcoholism in my family. According to some statistics I’ve seen I’m 4x more likely to become an alcoholic than others. So, I avoid it typically. But, I don’t think everyone will have that experience and there are millions that haven’t.

I’ve drank it in certain social situations. Celebrating a child being born (and the person brought it to celebrate), at a dinner among friends when they offered it as a kind gesture.

To be honest my world view of alcohol was relaxing. I did feel like a bit of a hypocrite as my Dad was fighting with cirrhosis and my step Mom passed of cancer. But, I cared about the people there and fitting in more.

Then my Dad died and all of the addicts came out of the wood work in my life again and I’m reminded why I don’t drink alcohol. Their problems were all pushed on me in various ways brought on largely by addiction and inability to participate in normal life.

Now? I don’t care as much about the perceptions of folks in this regard.

Alcohol it’s self isn’t bad. It just can be a problem and it’s viewed as an enhancer of life by many I know and that usually ends up being a false narrative.

But that being said - I think alcohol isn’t the problem. I think the problem is how people view and therefore use alcohol.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

I'm 56, based on that chart I should be dead.
    OMG!!! Maybe that's why my posts seem futile.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    I don’t drink enough to result in impairment or a hangover the next day. Like most things in life, I think this is a very individual topic and experience.
    This is not intended to be a lecture directed at anyone, especially LJP. The problem is that many folks think they are good to go when, in fact they are not. Sitting at home is one thing, carrying a sidearm in public and driving are different animals.

Determining BAC and rate of alcohol elimination in anything but general terms is difficult because they are dependent on body weight and composition, rate of intake, stomach content and more:

Take as an example a 175 pound man. If he drinks two beers, or two shots of whiskey, in quick succession on an empty stomach, his BAC will climb to slightly above 0.04. Two more beers will boost him above 0.08. One more will push him over 0.10. In one respect, then, it doesn't take very much alcohol to impair someone: "a couple of beers" can do it

These are degrees of impairment based on BAC:

Name:  BAC.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  61.9 KB

ETA: data from NHTSA SFST Instructor Manual
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Being a creature of habit I avoid anything thats not a good habit.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Being a creature of habit I avoid anything thats not a good habit.
    That's what the nun said.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s been a *long* time since our paths have crossed, but in the early 2000s Artis used to smell like his liver and kidneys hated him. If @Totem Polar ‘s hotel gent was in the same shape, he’s probably zinnia food by now.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List