Thread: Beretta 92X Defensive

Beretta 92X Defensive

I like the gun but not the rear adjustable sight which hangs way over the hammer. I couldn't find any options but did find that MGW has replacement LPA sights identical to the factory sight so ordered one. Took it apart by driving out the pivot pin and found that there are set screws to lock it into the slide. I could get the rear portion of the sight off just by unscrewing the L-R adjustment screw. But removing the height adjustment screw doesn't release that part so the pin had to come out.
    Name:  20230213_162031.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  51.5 KB
    I was hoping to be able to drill a new pivot pin hole in the other end of the base and re-assemble so the dovetail would be at the rear of the sight which would move it forward just fine. But I decided that would be beyond my diy machining abilities. So I got a small piece of sheet steel and bent and filed it.
    Name:  20230215_105819.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  53.7 KB
    I found out that the original height adjustment threaded hole in the base is the same size as B92 grip screws. So I used a black one I had that is an allen head style. The OE screw is a slot type which was a real trial to get the threads to start each time I put it together. The allen screw makes it a lot easier. I took a little too much steel off when I trimmed the top but that actually works out well. 2 layers of the aluminum duct tape get the height just right. A little brass punch and small hammer work got the drift just right.
    Name:  20230217_081005.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  36.1 KB
    I am really happy how well this turned out. I think I may make another one out of something solid vs sheet metal. I am much more satisfied w/ the decock by lowering the hammer while pulling the trigger now than when the hammer had the sight over top.
    BTW, the nistan finish on this gun is kind of slippery and w/o the usual safety/decocker levers I had to switch slide racking to a push on the front of the slide vs pull on the rear. You can see just forward of the sight my slide racker piece. It is just .125" kydex replacing the standard filler piece for the dot sight plate mount slot.

Just curious, so it is non adjustable now right? Why not just go with a standard rear sight if it cannot be adjusted?

That’s another reason I like pistol optics, it makes zero adjustments so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Just curious, so it is non adjustable now right? Why not just go with a standard rear sight if it cannot be adjusted?

That’s another reason I like pistol optics, it makes zero adjustments so much easier.
    For some unknown reason Beretta decided to use a non-standard dovetail cut in the rear of the steel-framed 92X Performance & Defensive models.

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    For some unknown reason Beretta decided to use a non-standard dovetail cut in the rear of the steel-framed 92X Performance & Defensive models.
    Exactly. I have been whining about this for a long, long time. I can't see any reason why every Beretta pistol can not have the same front and rear dovetails. Think how many more manufacturers would make sights for us. Look at Beretta sales #s compared to others and we are a small group. Now divide that group to even smaller subgroups because there are 2-3 different dovetails used, and we are lucky anyone even bothers.

Ok now I got you.

Yea that is dumb that Beretta would put a different dovetail cut on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Exactly. I have been whining about this for a long, long time. I can't see any reason why every Beretta pistol can not have the same front and rear dovetails. Think how many more manufacturers would make sights for us. Look at Beretta sales #s compared to others and we are a small group. Now divide that group to even smaller subgroups because there are 2-3 different dovetails used, and we are lucky anyone even bothers.
    +10000000000

User Tag List