Thread: Sig P Series Rear Sight Optics Plate

Sig P Series Rear Sight Optics Plate

I want to mount a SRO to my 229 40cal, but I'm not willing to have the slide milled. Has anyone successfully used a rear sight mounted optics plate? I'm not concerned with the increased sight over bore height vs a milled gun.
    Thanks!

With my P226 I didn't want to hassle with getting the slide milled either. Plus there are numerous versions of the 226 slide which some could be milled and others not. Ultimately I bought a factory slide that was cut at the manufacturer.

With your P229 you can try what I did...

https://www.sigsauer.com/rx-slide-as...romeo1pro.html

Edit: Never mind. It's not compatible with .40 cal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by iWander View Post
    I want to mount a SRO to my 229 40cal, but I'm not willing to have the slide milled. Has anyone successfully used a rear sight mounted optics plate? I'm not concerned with the increased sight over bore height vs a milled gun.
    Thanks!
    Based on other .40 cal experiences, either cut the slide or swap for a factory cut 9mm slide.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-17-2023 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Based on other .40 cal experiences, either cut the slide or swap for a factory cut 9mm slide.
    What do you mean? Were there recoil induced issues with the 40s?
    Last edited by iWander; 02-17-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by iWander View Post
    What do you mean? Were there recoil induced issues ruth the 40s?
    Yes - across multiple platforms. There’s a reason Aimpoint bragged about testing the ACRO on .40 cal pistols.

40/357 are harder on optics than .45 ACP.

I’ve seen an optic and plate literally break off a .40 cal M&P CORE and hit the shooter in the forehead.

Mounting is at least half of the equation in the durability and reliability of an optic. Combine.40 recoil and a dovetail mount and you are asking for trouble.

A good milled optic is the strongest options should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes - across multiple platforms. There’s a reason Aimpoint bragged about testing the ACRO on .40 cal pistols.

40/357 are harder on optics than .45 ACP.

I’ve seen an optic and plate literally break off a .40 cal M&P CORE and hit the shooter in the forehead.

Mounting is at least half of the equation in the durability and reliability of an optic. Combine.40 recoil and a dovetail mount and you are asking for trouble.

A good milled optic is the strongest options should be fine.
    Thanks. That helps decision making.

User Tag List