Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Syderco Delica Trainer?

I bought a very used Delica off eBay and hit it with a grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I can't totally understand that. Unfortunately, anything over 3" is going to jeopardize my legal standing.
    Oh, I get that. I worked quite a bit with a couple of Delicas before going on a trip to Belize. I checked the loacl laws and found carrying anything larger than a 3" knife was illegal, and I prefer to not get locked up in foreign jails. (However I found after being there awhile that EVERYBODY and his son carried a machete....).

I see a real need for a knife with a blade shorter than the handle size, as in most folders have a length balance between the handle and the blade. Bigger handle = longer blade. I'd need a handle the size of an Endura with a Delica blade bolted to it to be efficient with a 3" bladed knife.

Dudes and dudettes,

So I almost went singer sowing machine on two dudes about 30 minutes ago. I realized I should get a trainer, as I haven't done any knife training since casual Arnese about 5+ years ago. Even then, it was pretty basic stuff. I did not attend ECQC with a trainer, as I was purely a gun guy until that class.

The Syderco Delica trainer that I saw doesn't have the Emerson opener. I'm carrying a Delica 4 Emerson, so I would think I should get one with an opener. Train how you fight, that whole thing.

Is this not really an issue, or something that I can work around? Are you guys aware of a similar trainer that would serve the same purpose/function, even if it's not exactly the same knife?
    Since no one has asked.... can we hear the story?

I was walking my dog home. We crossed (not went down) an alleyway, in which were loitering two upstanding citizens with an unleashed Bull Terrier, which started approaching us. I pulled my spray and challenged the dog, which stopped.

Then one of the dudes waved a bat. They started exhibiting threat indicators, such as target glancing and weight shifts (didn't process it at the time, but now that I'm remembering the guy without the bat was grooming as well). At this point I wasn't concerned about the dog as I had my dog, so these two guys immediately took my threat focus. Given the waving bat, their engaging language and targeting indicators, I'm guessing they felt the same as they didn't stop just from seeing my dog.

So, I went right into ECQC mode. Threw up a fence and yelled. At that point they figured there were easier fish to catch, and the guy with the bat stopped actin'a'fool.

What I did wrong was that I didn't start creating space. I actually made an aggresive step towards them, similar to how we were taught to thrust into people during bayonet fighting. I should have immediately started moving down the sidewalk.

When I got inside I called 911, they sent out 2 officers. All the officers needed to hear was "2 guys in an alleyway with a bat and unleashed dog" and they basically started completing my sentences for me and left to find the guys.....they didn't need to hear much more. They were obviously up to something........there aren't any parking spots on that side of the alley, so I don't think they were waiting around to jump someone specifically as they got in their cars, nor is it initiation season. My guess is they were gang members trying to exert their influence in Franklin Park....we're mostly a family neighborhood within Trenton where gangs haven't had much influence. Every time they try to expand into my neighborhood of Trenton, the neighborhood kinda gangs up on them in response. We write down license plates, call them in, cops work with us and harass them, ect. Not like we're a utopia....far from it.....but it's best to go pick on a different neighborhood in Trenton if you're a silly gang member. We shoot back, moreover we cheer on the cops when they start beating the shit out of you 8 vs 1.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-11-2012 at 08:50 PM.

You're the man. Ordered.

I'm good. MUC'ing works, even if it's two (with a baseball bat) on one.
    It appears you got the last one sir! After a cursory search of the interwebs I have been unable to find another. If anyone happens to come across another I would be much obliged for a heads up! After reading your story I figure it's probably a good idea to have something to practice with...

Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-DIS...item256dcde5f4

And if they're going for that price, I may have to sell off one of the two I have!

Where can one find this MUC presentation?

Most definitely. The MUC presentation that's floating around is something that I've sent to 3 friends now who have come around to admit the threats in daily life (and 2/3 of them live in much nicer places than I..think Dow Jones executive la-la land). Doing the flight-time on each other in the class felt silly at first, but after the first night I could see the improvement in being comfortable with confrontation. Unless you're a wife-beater or cop, most of us don't get that confrontational experience. Everything helps, even if it's yelling at your 5'2" Vietnamese asian-power beefcake roomie who attended the course with you.

My sister just mentioned to me that she heard me go apeshit from down the street, even though the windows were closed. (thanks mother green, you taught me well on using vocal cords). She said it was "sharp and crisp", even using the word "explosion" without me putting it in her head. So, that's exactly what Craig taught...thankfully I learned something in a practical way! I'm guessing the dog fight I was in 2 months ago kept me fresh, as well. Seems like a perishable skill, to some degree.

I can't totally understand that. Unfortunately, anything over 3" is going to jeopardize my legal standing.

Muchos gracias.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-DIS...item256dcde5f4

And if they're going for that price, I may have to sell off one of the two I have!
    Indeed! That's a little steep for me at this time, almost twice the cost of what I paid for the knife!

Thanks for the link though!

User Tag List