Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Syderco Delica Trainer?

Syderco Delica Trainer?

Dudes and dudettes,

So I almost went singer sowing machine on two dudes about 30 minutes ago. I realized I should get a trainer, as I haven't done any knife training since casual Arnese about 5+ years ago. Even then, it was pretty basic stuff. I did not attend ECQC with a trainer, as I was purely a gun guy until that class.

The Syderco Delica trainer that I saw doesn't have the Emerson opener. I'm carrying a Delica 4 Emerson, so I would think I should get one with an opener. Train how you fight, that whole thing.

Is this not really an issue, or something that I can work around? Are you guys aware of a similar trainer that would serve the same purpose/function, even if it's not exactly the same knife?

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Hope you're OK

Here you go:
    http://newgraham.com/store/product/4...-Wave-SC11TRW/

Says they have 1 left in stock: go grab it!

You're the man. Ordered.

I'm good. MUC'ing works, even if it's two (with a baseball bat) on one.

Greg Hamilton, John Holschen and the Insights crew have 1 and 2 day courses specifically focused on the use of the folder. They also push the Delica as ideal. All my info on them is a few years old, but when I took those courses I found them to be excellent.

You can also ghetto wave any Spyderco with a zip tie. I've done this with my Delica trainer when I want to practice wave presentations.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    Greg Hamilton, John Holschen and the Insights crew have 1 and 2 day courses specifically focused on the use of the folder. They also push the Delica as ideal. All my info on them is a few years old, but when I took those courses I found them to be excellent.
    Thank you, I'll look into them if I can get into anything.

Nice to know the Delica is preferred. I chose it because it's the only quasi-fighting knife that I could play off as a utility knife. NJ law is that it's legal to carry a knife, but only for the intent of utility purposes. It'd be pretty hard to play off a P'Kal as something I carry as an EMT, whereas a waved knife in general I can.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    You can also ghetto wave any Spyderco with a zip tie. I've done this with my Delica trainer when I want to practice wave presentations.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Such as this? Neat, thanks for mentioning.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You're the man. Ordered.

I'm good. MUC'ing works, even if it's two (with a baseball bat) on one.
    Glad to help! If I'm not mistaken, Spyderco no longer makes the Delica 4 Waved Trainers. You can still find them at some stores (as evidenced by the fact that you just ordered one, ha), but eventually that supply will dry up. Just a heads up in case you decide you want spares at any point in the future.

And yea man, MUC is powerful stuff. While I know I could never get my loved ones to take ECQC, I wish I could get them all to absorb the MUC material. Unlike most things we can pick up in a weekend seminar, it's something that can be applied every single day with significant results.

Glad you're OK

I'm not sure about the Delica part though, those knives are small enough for me that I have trouble handling them, kind of like if I was trying to shoot a COF with a G26 instead of a G19, I could pull it off but some of the handling like reloads would be off. Since handling with a knife means getting it deployed that is a pretty big deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Glad to help! If I'm not mistaken, Spyderco no longer makes the Delica 4 Waved Trainers. You can still find them at some stores (as evidenced by the fact that you just ordered one, ha), but eventually that supply will dry up. Just a heads up in case you decide you want spares at any point in the future.

And yea man, MUC is powerful stuff. While I know I could never get my loved ones to take ECQC, I wish I could get them all to absorb the MUC material. Unlike most things we can pick up in a weekend seminar, it's something that can be applied every single day with significant results.
    Most definitely. The MUC presentation that's floating around is something that I've sent to 3 friends now who have come around to admit the threats in daily life (and 2/3 of them live in much nicer places than I..think Dow Jones executive la-la land). Doing the flight-time on each other in the class felt silly at first, but after the first night I could see the improvement in being comfortable with confrontation. Unless you're a wife-beater or cop, most of us don't get that confrontational experience. Everything helps, even if it's yelling at your 5'2" Vietnamese asian-power beefcake roomie who attended the course with you.

My sister just mentioned to me that she heard me go apeshit from down the street, even though the windows were closed. (thanks mother green, you taught me well on using vocal cords). She said it was "sharp and crisp", even using the word "explosion" without me putting it in her head. So, that's exactly what Craig taught...thankfully I learned something in a practical way! I'm guessing the dog fight I was in 2 months ago kept me fresh, as well. Seems like a perishable skill, to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Glad you're OK

I'm not sure about the Delica part though, those knives are small enough for me that I have trouble handling them, kind of like if I was trying to shoot a COF with a G26 instead of a G19, I could pull it off but some of the handling like reloads would be off. Since handling with a knife means getting it deployed that is a pretty big deal to me.
    I can't totally understand that. Unfortunately, anything over 3" is going to jeopardize my legal standing.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Most definitely. The MUC presentation that's floating around is something that I've sent to 3 friends now who have come around to admit the threats in daily life (and 2/3 of them live in much nicer places than I..think Dow Jones executive la-la land). Doing the flight-time on each other in the class felt silly at first, but after the first night I could see the improvement in being comfortable with confrontation. Unless you're a wife-beater or cop, most of us don't get that confrontational experience. Everything helps, even if it's yelling at your 5'2" Vietnamese asian-power beefcake roomie who attended the course with you.

My sister just mentioned to me that she heard me go apeshit from down the street, even though the windows were closed. (thanks mother green, you taught me well on using vocal cords). She said it was "sharp and crisp", even using the word "explosion" without me putting it in her head. So, that's exactly what Craig taught...thankfully I learned something in a practical way! I'm guessing the dog fight I was in 2 months ago kept me fresh, as well. Seems like a perishable skill, to some degree.

I can't totally understand that. Unfortunately, anything over 3" is going to jeopardize my legal standing.
    One of the points in the Insights course is that carrying a knife with a name like "Delica" takes away one line of attack from a legal standpoint. The newer ones, like the 4, are made shorter to ensure meeting the 3" limit common in many states.

User Tag List