Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SHO and WHO with the RDS

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...on shot three that I start to mess up the trigger press, stop the press and fix it before firing the shot.
    Good post, and I totally agree. Maybe semantics, but I wouldn't call that a messed up trigger press in your video. That's a timing error (almost a pre-ignition push), and in my experience only really good shooters can recognize and stop that as it's happening (as you did).

I do agree about the tradeoff between gripping hard and keeping the trigger finger and other fingers from co-contracting. I focus on my wrist, and that seems to help. "Seems" is the operative word because every time I think I've really got my WHO shooting squared away, some issue crops up for whack-a-mole.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Shooting one hand, I find that extending my arm fully, aligns me skeletally, and makes the dot reliably appear. One or two hands, any time the dot isn't there, I look at the spot on the target I want to hit, and extend my arms fully. Looking for the dot is the worst thing for me to do.
    This.

If I blade my body I often lose the dot.

What works for me is keeping my normal stance, dropping 1 hand, and making sure that the dot goes to my dominant eye. It’s something that I really visualize on WHO classifier type stages.

I found canting the gun was inconsistent for me personally. I bend the elbow just short of full extension and have the gun straight up and down. If I don't find the dot, its usually due to lack of pinky pressure. I also prefer thumb somewhere between flagged and pointed towards target

One of the things I stole, with attribution, from @AsianJedi is how he does experiential learning for SHO & WHO shooting. I include it in my optics classes and use a SHO version of it in my low light classes - because low light work is SHO work.

Strong side forward & back;
    Arm locked or bent;
    Thumb up, straight forward, or down;
    straight up & down, inboard cant, outboard cant;

I've got a Two x Three drill that works acquiring & re-acquiring the reticle SHO, freestyle, and WHO. A reload is how I drive the re-acquisition.

HTH

Shooting one hand, I find that extending my arm fully, aligns me skeletally, and makes the dot reliably appear. One or two hands, any time the dot isn't there, I look at the spot on the target I want to hit, and extend my arms fully. Looking for the dot is the worst thing for me to do.
    Finding that a fairly pronounced "snap" of locking the elbow is making this sure and repeatable. A nuanced difference than my earlier extended arm efforts.

@LukeNCMX and vertical with the above.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I carefully tried Tim Herron’s method, very early this morning, when anything physical, that I do, is typically at its worst. Keeping sights well-aligned at the moment of the trigger break, in the early morning, during dry fire, is not a normal event. The sights remained perfectly aligned, during dry-fire, with each hand, one-hand-only. I thought that I had finally learned The Perfect one-hand-only hold, for both of my hands. I had not previously liked using a high thumb, with the weapon hand, but his detailed explanation made everything click, in my brain. Angels seemed to be be singing, somewhere. Then, I dry fired with the thumb locked down, with each hand, and the sights remained perfectly aligned. I then tried with a relatively horizontal thumb, with each hand, and, well, the sights remained perfectly aligned. Hmm. I repeated, with my thumb on the safety lever, though only right-handed, because there is no ambidextrous lever to use, on this particular pistol. Again, perfect. Hmm. I reckon that I am just having a very good morning, regardless of how I hold a 1911.

I shall need to repeat this whole thing, when I am having a worse morning, to see which method is truly my best old-man-in-the-morning one-hand-only hold.

To be clear, this was all dry fire. Controlling recoil was not part of the equation. Time for a range session!

I shall, of course, need to repeat this, with a Glock.

Having plenty of time to type this, I did not use the “SHO” or “WHO” acronyms. I am Left Hand Dominant, but Right Arm Dominant. Age, plus wear and tear, have affected the strength of my right hand, so, it is now the noticeably weaker hand, but, I still carry “primary” on the right side, and, all but one of my 1911 pistols lack ambidextrous safety levers.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

My WHO index is aided by turning my head to the left. (I do not tuck my chin because I always want to shoot with my head erect, with my eyes centered.)
    This was the remedy to help me clean up my who dot index.

As others have posted, I found further extension helps if I don't have a dot (rare issue but that generally fixes it).
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    This was the remedy to help me clean up my who dot index.

As others have posted, I found further extension helps if I don't have a dot (rare issue but that generally fixes it).
    Is this turning the upright head to the left aligning the dominant eye in a more advantageous position?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Is this turning the upright head to the left aligning the dominant eye in a more advantageous position?
    Yes.

I think when i switch hands and no longer have the dominant hand as an anchor, my support hand favors the left side just enough that i can lose the dot and a slight turn of the head realigns my dominant eye.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List