Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo For Shotgun Training Class

As others have mentioned, Winchester AAs are the gold standard for birdshot (just be sure you get a load that will run your gun if you've got a semi). Federal's Top Shot has been historically decent as well. I've not had issues with Rio in pump guns, but I trust that TC has. I just ran a case of Remington's heavy dove load in a one-day Fisher class, and had zero issues out of my 1301. My newly circumcised VEPR also likes it, so I'll likely be buying more. What you want to stay far far away from are the super-cheap shells like Winchester Universal, the kind that you buy in 100rd packs at Wally World. They tend to have very soft hulls that are prone to deformation, and cheap soft rims that cause extraction and ejection issues. I've seen more than one student show up for a class with that crap and spend the day mortaring every other round (and having to punch some out with a rod because they got stuck so badly that the extractor tore through the case rim) rather than learning. S&B buck and bird loads have consistently gone bang, but man do they stink of burning hair with the felt wads they use.

You'll have to ask the instructor for specifics, but for our classes, good birdshot is good birdshot (as long as it's lead), buckshot is split into "Verify pattern on your good/defensive stuff" and "this series of drills is a step up in recoil to confirm your push-pull technique, we don't really care how it patterns", and slugs are "confirm zero on your good/defensive stuff and use it in a timed/scored test". So, for our 2-day class that comes down to 400rds of reliable lead birdshot, 35rds buck (10 good, 25 whatever), and 15 slugs (you will want stuff that's got a good zero).

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Going off on a tangent, make sure you bring the correct screwdrivers/Allen wrenches/whatever tightens the fasteners on your shotgun to the class. Stuff loosens on a shotgun during a high-volume class the same way it does on a revolver.
    So much this. I keep an 870 forend wrench in my kit all the time, and at the class I attended earlier this month, I lent it to another student, so it came in useful even when I didn't have an 870 with me

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    You'll have to ask the instructor for specifics, but for our classes, good birdshot is good birdshot (as long as it's lead), buckshot is split into "Verify pattern on your good/defensive stuff" and "this series of drills is a step up in recoil to confirm your push-pull technique, we don't really care how it patterns", and slugs are "confirm zero on your good/defensive stuff and use it in a timed/scored test". So, for our 2-day class that comes down to 400rds of reliable lead birdshot, 35rds buck (10 good, 25 whatever), and 15 slugs (you will want stuff that's got a good zero).
    That was pretty much the answer I got. Thanks.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    For what it is worth, I used Winchester AA birdshot, usually 8s, for shotgun class and our IDPA ish shotgun side matches. For 00 in class, it was Flite Control. I had some Federal 'Tactical' 00 that was old but seeing how it patterned in a Givens class, I prefer the Flite Control. Didn't do slugs much in classes.

I'll echo what others have said. I used Winchester AA and Federal Game Load/Heavy Field in a Symtac class last year in a 2009-era 870P and didn't have any issues for birdshot rounds.

The Federal was #5 and #6. I don't recall what the AA load was. I did have a box cheap Winchester to use up and had extraction issues. They kept sticking in the chamber. Thankfully I just had one box.

I used Federal Flight Control 9 Pellet for buckshot and it worked very well. For slugs, I used Federal Hydra-Shoks. No issues there.

Listen to everyone who said bring tools to tighten things down. My 870 had a factory +2 extension. During a string of fire the barrel clamp for the extension pinged off the gun. I had the correct screwdriver on me and was able to tighten it down. It got loose again on the 2nd day. During down time check your gun to make sure everything is where it should be.

Classes are also a good place to shakedown your gear too My 870P has a different fore-end, tube extension, and sling mounts now. Changed gear based on my class experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    What you want to stay far far away from are the super-cheap shells like Winchester Universal, the kind that you buy in 100rd packs at Wally World. They tend to have very soft hulls that are prone to deformation, and cheap soft rims that cause extraction and ejection issues. I've seen more than one student show up for a class with that crap and spend the day mortaring every other round (and having to punch some out with a rod because they got stuck so badly that the extractor tore through the case rim) rather than learning.
    My two early 870 Express guns will run the Winchester white box so I was mystified by these claims until several people tried to shoot them in their 870s at our clays club and I saw firsthand how bad it chokes a gun. FWIW, Federal “Field & Target” (red box) or “Dove & Target” (white box) shells from Walmart are cheaper than the Winchester bulk ammo but function and pattern like AA’s. The Winchester white box loads are crap for shooting clays at any distance.

Walmart usually has Winchester 1oz Foster slugs in the five round boxes at a decent price.
    Last edited by Rick R; 02-16-2023 at 09:51 PM.

User Tag List