Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: $100 Field Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    @GJM Have you ever tried the Federal "Solid Core" 9mm load: https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...11-P9SHC1.html

I've been curious about it since it was announced, and I don't remember seeing it mentioned in this thread yet. They claim 1120fps from a 4" gun. I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that this stuff has nickle cases and sealed primers (I have not confirmed that part), which for field ammo, might be a good thing. It's fairly expensive compared to Underwood or the loads @Lost River is now cranking out. It can be found for $26-27 box of 20 online.

I'm also sort of bumping this thread for my own reasons, as I'll be visiting Grand Teton, maybe Yellowstone, and probably fishing a little along the Grays River in Wyoming in a few weeks. I'll likely roll some of my own 147gr hard cast, and probably buy some of Lost River's loads before then (if he restocks soon), but I figured the Federal load may also be an option, if I find some before my trip.
    I have not checked out this load, but you should try some and see how it runs in your pistol. I like that it is coated. I have a preference for jacketed bullet loads in semi auto pistols, but that is probably more anecdotal than hard science.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@GJM Have you ever tried the Federal "Solid Core" 9mm load: https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...11-P9SHC1.html

I've been curious about it since it was announced, and I don't remember seeing it mentioned in this thread yet. They claim 1120fps from a 4" gun. I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that this stuff has nickle cases and sealed primers (I have not confirmed that part), which for field ammo, might be a good thing. It's fairly expensive compared to Underwood or the loads @Lost River is now cranking out. It can be found for $26-27 box of 20 online.

I'm also sort of bumping this thread for my own reasons, as I'll be visiting Grand Teton, maybe Yellowstone, and probably fishing a little along the Grays River in Wyoming in a few weeks. I'll likely roll some of my own 147gr hard cast, and probably buy some of Lost River's loads before then (if he restocks soon), but I figured the Federal load may also be an option, if I find some before my trip.

WDR

Thanks for tagging me.

Just an update. Typical small biz headaches. I actually have the ammo. It is the packaging that is giving me fits. Been going rounds for weeks trying to secure proper boxes with my logo on them, and get them shipped, which is proving to be a massive headache. The ones I had initially produced for the large 325 grain .45 Colt had to be custom produced as nobody made a box that tall. It was literally about .2" too tall.

The boxes I received were good, but they needed improvement and not exactly what I wanted. They opened at opposite ends. So unless you knew which side was up you could open the wrong side and have rounds upside down. That was fixed (in theory) by labeling, but the future boxes need to be better in multiple ways as far as I am concerned and I have been working trying to get a manufacturer who can make what I need. That is proving to be difficult, to put it mildly.

I do have clear plastic boxes in the interim that I will be using, so I will get the 9mms back in stock very shortly. They are not ideal, but they will work temporarily until I can get a box built that is actually built right. This is about round 4 or 5 maybe.

Who knew packaging would be such a struggle..

WDR

I now have those 9mms back up in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    WDR

Thank you! Order placed!

Site Supporter

I purchased 200 of these about 2 months ago, but have yet to get out and test them. Maybe soon (tm). They are nickel cases and appear to have primer sealant.

Site Supporter
    WDR

You've got one less box now!

I appreciate it.

The heavy hardcast 9mms are certainly a popular round, as so many people prefer to roll with what they know and they are definitely easy to shoot well/fast.

Trying to get some ammo boxes headed my way (still) and being educated on the fun and games involved with the box industry. Sheesh.

WDR
    Ordered at 12:30, shipping notification by 3:00, and tracking says it should be here tomorrow! Part of that is how close I am to you... But impressive packing/shipping speed! Just want to give a shout out and a "Thank You!" here.

https://ballisticdummylab.com/produc...zzly-bear-head

Another gel test demonstrating the penetration potential of hard-cast 9mm Luger.

User Tag List