Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: $100 Field Pistol

A win is a win(?)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    At 6:00, man shoots at grizzly, hits himself in the leg in the process, and the bear runs off. Guess it is another win for a handgun?

Well…he’s still with us, so I guess one could say that. Talk about friendly fire, though- it’s sorta like using your ship to ram another one and you sink in the process. He was lucky, I think.
    I also can’t help but think that many folks buy the handgun as a talisman. Run a few rounds through it and good(?) to go. Same thing happens with self defense firearms…
    Glad he survived-Mother Nature is a bitch. In this case, she seemed forgetful.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    At 6:00, man shoots at grizzly, hits himself in the leg in the process, and the bear runs off. Guess it is another win for a handgun?

Was this piece done by an AI bot? I couldn’t get through it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Well…he’s still with us, so I guess one could say that. Talk about friendly fire, though- it’s sorta like using your ship to ram another one and you sink in the process. He was lucky, I think.
    I also can’t help but think that many folks buy the handgun as a talisman. Run a few rounds through it and good(?) to go. Same thing happens with self defense firearms…
    Glad he survived-Mother Nature is a bitch. In this case, she seemed forgetful.
    A guy from town, when across the bay, got attacked by a brown bear. He had a Glock 10. First shot hit the bear, stopping the attack. Second shot went into the ground between home and the bear. Third shot went through his foot. He still limps around town.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

On the testing front, I shot 20 rounds of the Underwood 147+P hard cast through a Walther PDP 4.5 without issue. First, I shot five rounds at 25 yards. It seemed to hit an inch or so high.

Name:  A3D913AD-2F75-40F5-9642-09ED638E548B.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  31.9 KB

I held down an inch and shot another five at 25.

Name:  F5380B70-42FA-4A02-9BC1-FE4D26F970E6.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  43.5 KB

With my ten rounds left, I shot an array, immediately followed by the same array with 124 Lawman. You can see I shoot the Lawman a bit faster, but probably not enough to matter in a field application.

Talk about anticipation/pre-ignition push!

Edit: I’m taking about the bear incident, not your shooting, @GJM!

2nd edit: looks like the UW load works in German and Austrian platforms.
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 03-05-2023 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Catching up in thread…

Just wanted to provide a quick little update on my p365xl with these hardcast type bullets.
    I experienced a very similar problem with LostRivers 148s. I only shot 17 rounds of LRs 148s but noticed a few semicircle shavings and one FTF. So I’m confident it’s my particular pistol.

I also received a callback from Sig and the tech said they don’t recommend shooting anything but fmj or jhp because that’s what the gun was designed around yadda yadda. I mentioned that a few other folks don’t seem to be having this issue with the same ammo and gun and he said he was confident it’s not the gun or barrel but rather the hardcast bullets and shapes. I didn’t push the matter.

I think I’ll start the search for a stainless throated barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    124 grain FMJ FTW! interesting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    124 grain FMJ FTW! interesting.
    Some call it 9x19mm Parabellum, others know it as 9mm Luger, but I say it's .35 Super Carry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bau4aPKwgg

I got some of the G9 Defense Woodsman penetrator ammo in to check out.

Name:  IMG_3755.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  39.0 KB

Small sample size, but I shot 5 rounds through a Glock 47, 5 rounds through a Gen 4 19 with a Mayhem barrel and comp, and 10 rounds through a Gen 5 26 with a Mayhem barrel and comp with no issues. It seemed to shoot an inch or two high. Here is the Glock 47 group from 20 yards.

Name:  IMG_3759.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  41.9 KB

Good to have another penetrator load available.

User Tag List