Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
Sometimes, you need to not move. Once, a moose charged my wife and me, while we were on snowshoes. We both pivoted to face the threat (the charging moose) and we both fell over on our backs, as the snowshoes got caught in the side of the trail. That was instructive, learning occurred, and we were lucky not to have been stomped. A few years later, a brown bear charged me, while I was standing in knee high brush. I made certain to resist the urge to move, so I didn't fall. I think it is instinctive to move in the face of a threat, and it takes training or experience to sometimes resist the urge to move!
Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
I can’t be the only person who has walked into a restaurant or store where the floor was startling slippery and had similar thoughts about how that could greatly complicate any kind of a fight.
Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
Now try cobblestone streets, the old very rounded, lots of space between the stones, European type. :-)

Example: Tallinn, Estonia.

Yes, indeed. I will add my personal example, of experiences checking perimeters of buildings, at night, in response to burglar or panic/hold-up alarms. Vines, dense growths of saplings, pipes and cables running every which way, various types of machinery, various types of holes, deep mud created by run-off from HVAC units, or, simply that a narrow catwalk or ledge that restricts one’s path, because, well, gravity. One might have to suddenly draw, and perhaps fire, while standing on one’s hind legs, completely or relatively immobile. Getting Off The X may well be a luxury that is unavailable.