Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good DAO Options in 2023?

The TDA version of Dot Torture really cleans up the performance and understanding of the system.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

It would be useful as well to get your definition of DAO, as I hear new shooters at the range I work at refer to striker fired pistols as DAO. Your join date says you're new here so we shouldn't assume you are only referring to a hammer fired gun with a DAO pull. That said, if you do mean hammer fired DAO, are you totally adverse to going to a striker fired pistol? I feel like if you dislike DA/SA then striker fired is the way to go.

Kahr k9

The Kahr K9 gets my vote for a nice double action only compact, concealable pistol. Very smooth consistent double action trigger.

Hammertime
    I forgot the Beretta PX4 series I believe can be set up with a DAO trigger in which case I would lean towards that one as a first choice for carry if it were properly vetted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarrrnation! View Post
    The Kahr K9 gets my vote for a nice double action only compact, concealable pistol. Very smooth consistent double action trigger.
    Kahr is a striker

Although very smooth and similar to TDA only

I would say the P2000, P2000SK, P30SK, and USP Compact (all in LEM, usually in V1, V2, or V7 variants) are probably the most realistic current production compact guns with some form of a DAO trigger. LEM is not a true DAO but, it sort of mimics it. It's a love it or hate it trigger system for a lot of people, though, so I'd see if you can try one out locally first. One thing to watch out for, though, is a few of the models like the P2K and USP Compact did briefly come in a true DAO variant. I might be off but, I believe this was around the end of the 90's to the early 2000's, possibly mid 2000's. That true DAO is not the one you want as it's a heavier trigger that isn't great. If you buy something recent production or new, you'll be fine. I'd just pay more attention if you find something used, much older production, and getting close to ~20y/o. If browsing used guns, take note of the date codes on the frame or slide to figure out production year.

The Px4 series are also decent. I believe the Type-D (DAO) variant only came in the Full Size. However, the Compact or Compact Carry can be converted to DAO by removing several components, similar to how you would on a 90-series. Doing this conversion may be more work than you want but, I bring it up since LTT offers tuned Px4's as well as red dot mounting options. If you don't mind the full size, you can occasionally find the Type-D model (visible by no safety levers on the slide) on Gunbroker. They're a bit tough to find but, I usually see a few listed there every other month.

If you don't mind an out of production option that's still plentiful, the P250 still has a lot of attractive qualities. Obviously the numerous sizes and frame options are one of the nice features. The trigger might be heavier than some like if they're used to a light SA or striker pull of ~5.5# or less. Anyone with any real time on a revolver shouldn't have an issue with them though. One of the nice things about the P250 series is, despite being out of production for a few years, a number of components are shared with the P320 series, including magazines. So they should remain viable for many, many more years. Some parts supply is drying up a bit for them though, so if going with one of these, I'd stock up on some spare parts to be safe. I really regret not snatching up a dozen or more of these when Cabela's had a blowout on them years ago for something like $200-250 a piece.

If you don't mind the weight and prefer a metal-framed DAO, beyond the SIG DAK's others have mentioned, just about any Beretta 90-series is always an option. For carry, I'd probably opt for something like a 92 Compact. For DAO, there is the 92D / 96D (and Centurion versions), 92D-XR (rare), and possibly some rare models I'm forgetting. The D models are getting harder and harder to find but, nearly any 90-series can easily be converted to DAO by removal of a few components. If it was me and I was going the 92 route, I'd probably get something like a 92 Compact non-rail frame, convert it to DAO, add Langdon's TJIB, and call it a day. In a more perfect world, for me it might be a 92D Compact Type M but, I wouldn't have the heart to carry a $2-3K rare gun like that.

Bottom line, most of your options will probably be Beretta, HK, or SIG if looking for current or recent production options. Others exist but, you don't hear about them as much on PF, or else you do but they're long since out of production (e.g. S&W third gen autos or older).

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I'd probably get something like a 92 Compact non-rail frame, convert it to DAO, add Langdon's TJIB, and call it a day. In a more perfect world, for me it might be a 92D Compact Type M but, I wouldn't have the heart to carry a $2-3K rare gun like that.
    Have you ever owned a 92 Compact Type M? I had both an M and standard compact at the same time. They felt no different and carried no different in my experience. Even took out the calipers and the grip dimensions could be measured in the thousandths.

Outside of uniqueness or nostalgia, I see no reason to do a Type M over standard compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Have you ever owned a 92 Compact Type M? I had both an M and standard compact at the same time. They felt no different and carried no different in my experience. Even took out the calipers and the grip dimensions could be measured in the thousandths.

Outside of uniqueness or nostalgia, I see no reason to do a Type M over standard compact.
    I haven't, and I wouldn't expect that it's any significant difference in size like you said, which is why I said that sort of jokingly. I just like oddball and uncommon stuff.

I'm sure it's just like the Beretta 85 vs the 84. 85 being single stack with thick grips such that there's no appreciable size difference and only a capacity deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

Or like when you're on a square range training and find the timing difficult to get used to?
    I have a PX4CC and the way the gun times when I fire continues to defeat me. I can fire the first DA shot and when the gun returns from recoil, the front sight is way low. With almost every other pistol, the front sight returns with the sights aligned toward the target. I have a LTT Elite 92 and several other SA/DA guns that I can shoot successfully. I have too many other guns that I can shoot well to spend time with this one.

I converted it to DA by removing some parts, but I didn't spend much time with it to see if I would be able to shoot it competently. I switched it back to SA/DA just so it would be normal if anybody else shot it.

I'd probably go looking for a 92D of some sort, preferably a Centurion.

It would be great if Beretta or LTT offered an optics cut, slick slide 92DAO option with all the modern goodies.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List