Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Good DAO Options in 2023?

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Just my 2 penny’s worth. The challenges of “two different trigger pulls” and the “transition” is blown way out of proportion. Look, if I can shoot the TDA system pretty well then pretty much anyone can. You pull the trigger straight to the year as you clean up your sight picture. The first pull is going to be longer than the rest. I just ran out and banged a few rounds through my PX4CC. Six rounds, 40 yards, three two round stings, 1st DA and 2nd SA. The next is a B8, all 10 rounds shot DA. Shoot, decock, repeat. 94, not bad considering shot cold and I ran through it quickly. Also, the “decock” problem. I’ve never been able to wrap my head around that one. Ever hear someone say that the safety on a 1911 is a problem because someone might forget to throw it back on? If someone did forget to decock, they would be in the same situation as a lot of folks who carry SFA pistols that have a decent trigger. I’m sure the undecocked decocker would be noticed when reholstering with the hammer thumbed.
    The 10 round DA string, (94), was at 25 yards. Oops, don’t want anyone to think I did that at 40. I need to leave a sharpy pen at my range to mark up the targets before pics.

Not our favorite but a Glock is an option. My wife started carrying a G19 in 2014 and my immediate thought was the trigger was too light for purse carry so I started experimenting w/ trigger bars etc. One we tried got rid of the bump or wall completely. I 'think' it was the Edge but not 100% on that.
    https://ghostinc.com/comparision-chart-for-connectors/

I mis-read my Armorer's parts list-actually the #39651 black NY1 and the gray #47337 NY2 INCLUDES, not excludes the G19X and G45-my bad.

And there's a slim NY1,#39324 that's for the G42, G43, G43X and G48.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Not our favorite but a Glock is an option. My wife started carrying a G19 in 2014 and my immediate thought was the trigger was too light for purse carry so I started experimenting w/ trigger bars etc. One we tried got rid of the bump or wall completely. I 'think' it was the Edge but not 100% on that.
    https://ghostinc.com/comparision-chart-for-connectors/
    Yep, the Ghost Edge connector definitely does it. It's my favorite connector by far. On this video you can see the force curve mapped against other connectors to get a sense of how smooth the break is. (Edge connector is at 10:30)

If you combine the Ghost Edge connector with an NY1 TRS, it's quite a different experience. The wall is mostly gone. The over-travel no longer goes from break -> zero trigger weight instantly, as you have constant tension from the TRS. You also get a robust reset. It ends up being somewhat reminiscent of a DA revolver trigger, though with ~1/3 to 1/4 of the length of trigger travel. Still not a replacement for a good DA/DAO but, I quite like this combo for what it is.

That is my preferred config for gen 2 & 3 Glocks, NY1 w/ "-" connector. For Connectors I like the Zev Pro-Con the best, but also use Ghost Ranger and a LW in one gun.

Indeed, removes the wall, is smoother and a little more DAO-like in feel, and yields very positive reset.

I ran a NY1 w/ standard connector for a while, and just got tired of it, as it yields a very hard break at the wall. The "-" connector makes the press a bit lighter, and more consistent throughout travel.

Definitely worth trying for someone who already owns Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I mis-read my Armorer's parts list-actually the #39651 black NY1 and the gray #47337 NY2 INCLUDES, not excludes the G19X and G45-my bad.

And there's a slim NY1,#39324 that's for the G42, G43, G43X and G48.

Best, Jon
    Good info, thank you - I’ll get one of these ordered for my carry 43.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

LEM does not mimic DAO. It is a true DAO trigger. HK just perfected it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I would say the P2000, P2000SK, P30SK, and USP Compact (all in LEM, usually in V1, V2, or V7 variants) are probably the most realistic current production compact guns with some form of a DAO trigger. LEM is not a true DAO but, it sort of mimics it. It's a love it or hate it trigger system for a lot of people, though, so I'd see if you can try one out locally first. One thing to watch out for, though, is a few of the models like the P2K and USP Compact did briefly come in a true DAO variant. I might be off but, I believe this was around the end of the 90's to the early 2000's, possibly mid 2000's. That true DAO is not the one you want as it's a heavier trigger that isn't great. If you buy something recent production or new, you'll be fine. I'd just pay more attention if you find something used, much older production, and getting close to ~20y/o. If browsing used guns, take note of the date codes on the frame or slide to figure out production year.

The Px4 series are also decent. I believe the Type-D (DAO) variant only came in the Full Size. However, the Compact or Compact Carry can be converted to DAO by removing several components, similar to how you would on a 90-series. Doing this conversion may be more work than you want but, I bring it up since LTT offers tuned Px4's as well as red dot mounting options. If you don't mind the full size, you can occasionally find the Type-D model (visible by no safety levers on the slide) on Gunbroker. They're a bit tough to find but, I usually see a few listed there every other month.

If you don't mind an out of production option that's still plentiful, the P250 still has a lot of attractive qualities. Obviously the numerous sizes and frame options are one of the nice features. The trigger might be heavier than some like if they're used to a light SA or striker pull of ~5.5# or less. Anyone with any real time on a revolver shouldn't have an issue with them though. One of the nice things about the P250 series is, despite being out of production for a few years, a number of components are shared with the P320 series, including magazines. So they should remain viable for many, many more years. Some parts supply is drying up a bit for them though, so if going with one of these, I'd stock up on some spare parts to be safe. I really regret not snatching up a dozen or more of these when Cabela's had a blowout on them years ago for something like $200-250 a piece.

If you don't mind the weight and prefer a metal-framed DAO, beyond the SIG DAK's others have mentioned, just about any Beretta 90-series is always an option. For carry, I'd probably opt for something like a 92 Compact. For DAO, there is the 92D / 96D (and Centurion versions), 92D-XR (rare), and possibly some rare models I'm forgetting. The D models are getting harder and harder to find but, nearly any 90-series can easily be converted to DAO by removal of a few components. If it was me and I was going the 92 route, I'd probably get something like a 92 Compact non-rail frame, convert it to DAO, add Langdon's TJIB, and call it a day. In a more perfect world, for me it might be a 92D Compact Type M but, I wouldn't have the heart to carry a $2-3K rare gun like that.

Bottom line, most of your options will probably be Beretta, HK, or SIG if looking for current or recent production options. Others exist but, you don't hear about them as much on PF, or else you do but they're long since out of production (e.g. S&W third gen autos or older).

User Tag List