Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 3” K frames are….

Absolutely, right there on the spot. I didn't walk away from the case. It's posted on the previous page as well.

Last edited by onehalfmvsquared; 06-06-2023 at 03:32 PM.

I've got an opportunity to pick up a 66-3 3" for a pretty decent price (for the market anyway). As a shooting gun (as opposed to a collector) are they worth the $1200-1500 or so that many go for? Would I be better off with a new production gun that, while suffering from MIM, lock, and current QC issues, come with a factory warranty and inherent replaceablity that a 3" 66 wouldn't have? I guess the real question is would I be dumb for passing it up at the same price as something like a new 19 Carry Comp?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveThePirate View Post
    I've got an opportunity to pick up a 66-3 3" for a pretty decent price (for the market anyway). As a shooting gun (as opposed to a collector) are they worth the $1200-1500 or so that many go for? Would I be better off with a new production gun that, while suffering from MIM, lock, and current QC issues, come with a factory warranty and inherent replaceablity that a 3" 66 wouldn't have? I guess the real question is would I be dumb for passing it up at the same price as something like a new 19 Carry Comp?
    For a shooter I would have a hard time justifying $1200-$1500 when I could buy a 66-8 2.75 for considerably less. I know its got the lock and such but if I didnt have a 3" 65 I would buy a 2.75 66-8. The 66-8 may have issues but I trust S&W would make it right though it sucks they would probably have to.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    For a shooter I would have a hard time justifying $1200-$1500 when I could buy a 66-8 2.75 for considerably less. I know its got the lock and such but if I didnt have a 3" 65 I would buy a 2.75 66-8. The 66-8 may have issues but I trust S&W would make it right though it sucks they would probably have to.
    Honestly, if I as going to spend 66-8 money, I'd just pony up a couple hundred extra for a 19 Carry Comp, and then I'd be into the same price range as the 66-3 3" that my guy is selling. I'm not trying to compare a 66-8 to this one, but I definitely appreciate your thoughts.

Honestly, if I as going to spend 66-8 money, I'd just pony up a couple hundred extra for a 19 Carry Comp, and then I'd be into the same price range as the 66-3 3" that my guy is selling. I'm not trying to compare a 66-8 to this one, but I definitely appreciate your thoughts.
    Unless you just prefer blued than I'd still stick with the 66. I've shot and handled several of the 19 carry comp and never felt like it was worth the extra $. If they were the same price then no biggy.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/986504887
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Unless you just prefer blued than I'd still stick with the 66. I've shot and handled several of the 19 carry comp and never felt like it was worth the extra $. If they were the same price then no biggy.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/986504887

Apples and oranges there. I'm not considering a new 66. I'm looking at a 1980s era 66-3. My issue is that I don't want a safe queen, and getting a new 19 CC or another newer model might be better due to better factory support.

In full transparency I'm considering the following as guns that I really want to shoot a bunch:
    3" 66-3
    19 Carry Comp, or lightly used
    Off topic option would be a 325 Thunder Ranch because I also want a big bore space gun

3” 64 I got back from my dad. Got it for him a while back for his bday. He’s got arthritis so bad he can’t pull the trigger anymore. Started life as a California Youth Authority gun.

Name:  IMG_1325.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  71.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1330.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  78.0 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Apples and oranges there. I'm not considering a new 66. I'm looking at a 1980s era 66-3. My issue is that I don't want a safe queen, and getting a new 19 CC or another newer model might be better due to better factory support.
    Respectfully, I think you're overthinking this. K frames from that era aren't especially fragile unless you're thinking about running thousands of full-power .357s through them. I've got two, admittedly .38s (67-1 and 10-8), that I used for IDPA over about a five-year period when I went through a couple hundred rounds of +P-level handloads weekly with no parts breakage. They're still running strong. If you plan to stick to a diet of hot .357s, IMO an L frame or GP-100 would be a better choice.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Respectfully, I think you're overthinking this. K frames from that era aren't especially fragile unless you're thinking about running thousands of full-power .357s through them. I've got two, admittedly .38s (67-1 and 10-8), that I used for IDPA over about a five-year period when I went through a couple hundred rounds of +P-level handloads weekly with no parts breakage. They're still running strong. If you plan to stick to a diet of hot .357s, IMO an L frame or GP-100 would be a better choice.
    For sure, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'm sure an 80's era 66 will run thousands and thousands of rounds of 38 through it. However, I also know it's a bit of a collector piece, and acknowledging that I'm not intending to treat it as such (nor do I intend to abuse/neglect it).

Appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    3” 64 I got back from my dad. Got it for him a while back for his bday. He’s got arthritis so bad he can’t pull the trigger anymore. Started life as a California Youth Authority gun.

Name:  IMG_1325.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  71.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1330.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  78.0 KB
    That's a fortunate abbreviation for a carry gun.

User Tag List