Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 43x-best 10-round subcompact CCW?

https://www.glockstore.com/4-Magazin...1&custcol9=527

If the ability to increase magazine capacity over ten rounds is a deal-killer, then the 43X/48 is no more of an option for you than your G27.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

I have a 43, but not 43X, a G48 and G19. I've had a 26, but no longer own one. I'm in Florida, so it's rare to be wearing anything heavier than a T-shirt, so the slimlines make some sense as they are a bit more comfortable and easier to conceal.

I like the 48, but the grip is a bit too narrow for my XL sized hands, both for trigger reach and "twist" in my hand, so I added a Hogue grip and that helped the issue. It didn't noticeably impact concealment or comfort. I didn't pick up a 43X because the G43 is pretty unpleasant to shoot, more like a J-frame and the extra grip wasn't going to solve that issue. I need the extra holster length of the 48 to push the grip back into my stomach anyway, so the 48 made sense and it's noticeably more pleasant to shoot than the 43.

I've recently taken up carrying a G19.5 vs. the 48, because I can shoot it better and it's winter, so concealment is less of an issue. Also because the LTT grip anchor solved some of what I dislike about the 19's grip, so I didn't mind shooting it more frequently. It's much easier to get a consistent grip on a G19 vs. the 48 without the aftermarket grip sleeve.

The 26, for me, doesn't offer enough of an advantage over the 19 to purchase one again. I always want a full fingered grip and my 26 was always wearing extended mags, so the difference was slight. It's too chunky to be a "Rule #1" or NPE gun, in my opinion so I don't find a role for it in my inventory. I do like the grip circumference of the 26 better than the slimlines due to trigger reach and consistency problems, but solved that issue with the aftermarket grip sleeve.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser92 View Post
    I happen to be sitting on a stack of Cabelas gift cards, and I'm thinking this may finally be the year to replace my 20-ish year old G27 for CCW. I have big hands and use pinky extenders on it. Due to some pending legislation (Oregon Ballot Measure 114) it could be illegal to leave the house in possession of a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds in the near future. My understanding is that modified magazines, i.e. extended floor plates could also be illegal even if they still hold 10 or less. There's so much confusion and I don't want to be a test case. The G43x factory mags hold exactly 10 and will have a grip the same length as the G27 with pinky grips.

Has anyone made the jump from a G26 or 27 to a G43x (or MOS)? At Cabelas I can order one online, but then I'm buying it without being able to hold one. The gun counter had an hours-long wait last time I was in there, even if they had one in stock.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I tried jumping from the 26 to the 43x. It was a short trial period. Went back to the 26. It does more things better for me. My needs/wants my not be the same as yours.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Site Supporter
    As we age, weight and bulk become an issue for some of us. For me comfort has usurped logic. I like the 43x because it's light and handy. The same reasoning directed me this morning to strap on a J frame when I went out with my wife. As much as I hate to face facts, I'm approaching that time when I might cease to carry a weapon. Though I still have all my marbles, I'm physically weak. However, I recently began a physical therapy program that is yielding wonderful results. I exercise at home too.

@willie "comfort has usurped logic". That is exactly why I am riding the slimline train.
    No doubt in my mind that the 26/19 is better than the 43X/48, but the comfort usurps that fact so I go with the slims.

Another G48 carrier here. Found it much more comfy to shoot than than the G43 and also the G43X. It has not replaced my G26 or G19 but in my work attire did find the slimline seems to conceal better. I really do like the G48 and so far a few people who have tried it ended up committing to one. Stock mags in mine, just fiber sights.

In the 43X vs 48 debate, I'm on the side of the 48, my personal experience with them notwithstanding. The 48 checked almost all the boxes for me; easy to shoot, accurate, slim, and easy to carry. Plus SCD. I think a stock 48 with irons or a 48 MOS with a decent optic is the best bet out of a choice of G26, G43X and G48.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    In the 43X vs 48 debate, I'm on the side of the 48, my personal experience with them notwithstanding. The 48 checked almost all the boxes for me; easy to shoot, accurate, slim, and easy to carry. Plus SCD. I think a stock 48 with irons or a 48 MOS with a decent optic is the best bet out of a choice of G26, G43X and G48.
    I have an as new night sight equipped 48MOS traded in by a nerd who said he couldn't hit anything with it. I'm toying with the idea of placing a small, green laser Streamlight weapon light on it. Then I could shoot rocks and dirt clods from the hip.😃 In my area certain folks refer to laser sights as a "beam" as in y'all got any beams here.

Like @gkieser92, I'm threatened by the OR measure 114 standard capacity magazine ban. I've thought quite a bit about it, believe me. Here's what I concluded:

If the 114 mag ban is allowed, most of the time I will keep carrying my preferred CCW, a CZ P-07 but with 10 round mags. I shoot a P-07 or G19 significantly better than a subcompact, and 5 less rounds won't change that. I might carry an extra reload though.

As a number of members already posted, I prefer the G26 to the 43 or 48. This is for several reasons: I shoot it well, it's very compact, highly reliable, and can use standard capacity G19 and G17 magazines. I don't have giant hands though, and if I did I might not make the same choice. (But people with giant hands typically prefer larger guns than the 48).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

In 30+ years of shooting Glocks, the only 9mm Glocks that I never "meshed" with were the slimlines. Lack of texturing from the factory tends to make them very "squirmy" in recoil. And, while the G43X definitely carries "flatter" than a G19 (or G26), the length of the grip make is not significantly more "concealable" than the G19, and a lot LESS concealable than a G26.

If I were going to live in a 10-round only environment, I'd opt for a P365XL with neutered magazines. It gives plenty of grip length for me, shoots "softer" than the G43X, and is optics ready out of the box with direct-mount of Holosun 507K/EPS Carry.

User Tag List