Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FUCK CANCER - the 2023 Edition

FUCK CANCER - the 2023 Edition

Just venting, and asking for prayers. Last night, my 56 year old sister in law, Dr. Deb Mueller, died from an extremely aggressive metastatic breast cancer. She had been diagnosed with breast cancer about 13 months ago, had surgery and targeted treatment, and had seemed to be in the clear. She spent the last year working and traveling with her family, and, about a month ago, was going on hikes in the mountains of New Zealand with her daughters. When she got back to the States, she had a significant rapid onset of symptoms, and she died less than 30 days later, with the disease having spread throughout her body.

Deb was a Retired USAF Reserve Colonel, and, while on Active Duty deployed in late 2001 to help establish a mobile surgical operation in Kyrgyzstan. Once she left active duty, she worked in the UT Health System as a trauma surgeon, and was critical to keeping one of San Antonio's largest Emergency Departments afloat during the worst days of COVID. She leaves behind my brother, Dr. John Doski, two daughters - Sarah (19) and Julia (16), her mother and father, and two sisters.

My brother tried to explain the mechanisms involved, but all I heard was a bunch of science words and the fact that this disease was the oncology equivalent of Deb being struck by a meteor.

Anyone who's the praying type, please pray for peace and comfort for John and the girls, and all the other people who will miss Deb desperately.

Cancer has taken both of my parents, several dear friends, and now Deb. Somehow, someday, someone with a 50-pound brain has got to figure out how to kill this m*****-f*****.

So sorry to read this, K. You and the family will be in my thoughts.

Fuck Cancer.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

A life too short, but well lived.

Condolences
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

RIP. What a magnificent woman! May her memory be a blessing.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    RIP. What a magnificent woman! May her memory be a blessing.
    This. So sorry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Just venting, and asking for prayers. Last night, my 56 year old sister in law, Dr. Deb Mueller, died from an extremely aggressive metastatic breast cancer. She had been diagnosed with breast cancer about 13 months ago, had surgery and targeted treatment, and had seemed to be in the clear. She spent the last year working and traveling with her family, and, about a month ago, was going on hikes in the mountains of New Zealand with her daughters. When she got back to the States, she had a significant rapid onset of symptoms, and she died less than 30 days later, with the disease having spread throughout her body.

Deb was a Retired USAF Reserve Colonel, and, while on Active Duty deployed in late 2001 to help establish a mobile surgical operation in Kyrgyzstan. Once she left active duty, she worked in the UT Health System as a trauma surgeon, and was critical to keeping one of San Antonio's largest Emergency Departments afloat during the worst days of COVID. She leaves behind my brother, Dr. John Doski, two daughters - Sarah (19) and Julia (16), her mother and father, and two sisters.

My brother tried to explain the mechanisms involved, but all I heard was a bunch of science words and the fact that this disease was the oncology equivalent of Deb being struck by a meteor.

Anyone who's the praying type, please pray for peace and comfort for John and the girls, and all the other people who will miss Deb desperately.

Cancer has taken both of my parents, several dear friends, and now Deb. Somehow, someday, someone with a 50-pound brain has got to figure out how to kill this m*****-f*****.
    I will pray for them.

Your last paragraph really got my attention. Genetics is absolutely a risk factor.

There are multiple gene mutations whcih can make cancer more likely. At least a few of these involve the DNA which is used to produce the proteins which encapsulate the cell nucleus and control cell division. With cell division uncontrolled, cancer can spread rapidly. These mutations can either be passed from a parent to a child, or can simply occur as one of the many mutations which occurs any time we have children. I am not a doctor, and am sure there is much more to this subject than I am capable of explaining. I have, however, had to become familiar with a small number of these genes as a result of other family issues.

From your family history, I am seriously concerned that you may be genetically more susceptible to certain cancers.

DO NOT EVER DELAY OR NEGLECT ANY ROUTINE SCREENINGS.

If your insurance will cover it, talk to a doctor who specializes in genetics and/or oncology to see about getting tested for any specific gene mutations which are associated with any of the cancers which affected any of your relatives.

Your nieces should also be evaluated to ensure that they are not at any elevated risk, and if so, screening and other precautions should be discussed with your doctors.

If you ever have symptoms of anything going wrong in your body, get checked out immediately. Unfortunately I am aware of multiple cases in which serious cancers were mistaken for something much simpler and less serious. Do not hesitate to seek second and third opinions, particularly if you do not feel that your doctor has listened to you appropriately. As I am sure you have seen, by the time you have symptoms of cancer, it is already bad.

Site Supporter
    So sorry. Prayers.

This is really sad to read. Condolences, and F cancer.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

My condolences for your loss. Your sister in law sounds like an amazing person.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Fuck. I am so sorry to hear.

User Tag List