Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery powered ACOGs?

Battery powered ACOGs?

I’ve never owned an ACOG due to the initial cost, the need to have them relamped ($$$) and generally shitty eye relief on many models. I didn’t realize or forgot that they now have a few models that are LED powered, the TA-02 4x and TA-110 3.5x.

They still aren’t cheap, but they have a proven durability that I suspect is lacking in my PA prisms. I have one carbine in particular that would be a good platform for a quality optic, my LaRue. I’m not interested in a LVPO at this point.

Does anyone have one of the LED ACOGs that can comment?

https://www.trijicon.com/products/pr...con-acog-TA110

https://www.trijicon.com/products/pr...icon-acog-TA02
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have a TA110 ACOG on a .308 M&P10 Sport rifle. It’s a cheap rifle that is unbelievably accurate with the ACOG. My experience with the TA110:

Pros - Better eye relief than advertised. The adjustable brightness suits me far more than the standard ACOG. Batteries are cheap; $20 will buy me enough batteries to last the rest of my life. Etched reticle that’s decent even without illumination. Bombproof durability.

Cons - I can’t use the Bindon Aiming Concept with a magnified optic, it makes my eyes go all wonky. If I needed CQB or close-in capability on this rifle I’d need an additional red-dot optic or sights.
    Last edited by Snidely Whiplash; 02-11-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Some additional thoughts:

I bought the M&P Sport .308 rifle on a whim while it was on-sale at Bass Pro. At the time I didn’t really know what I was doing and didn’t realize the M&P10 Sport was a lower-tier quality rifle. Since it’s too heavy for me to shoot off-hand I needed an optic appropriate for use while shooting from a fixed position with a bipod. The fixed 3.5x power ACOG seemed to fit that role perfectly. After a lot of research I decided on the LED TA110 ACOG and I’m very glad I did. The ACOG was much more expensive than the rifle but it completely transformed the M&P10 Sport into the most accurate rifle I own. Most members here are probably better shots than I am, but at 100 yards this rifle with the TA110 shoots consistent 1” groups. I don’t shoot that well with my better quality rifles equipped with higher magnification optics.

I don’t shoot nose-to-charging-handle so the eye relief on the standard ACOG was too short for me. The eye relief on the TA110 seems much better than advertised. I shoot approximately 4” back from the optic and the sight picture is great.

The adjustable brightness was a big selling point. I didn’t want to deal with cutting up inner tubes or using adjustable covers, reticle visibility and brightness issues going from dark to light, etc. Being able to adjust the green-crosshair reticle brightness allows me to make the reticle much more crisp if needed and that’s a huge help to my accuracy. I chose the green reticle because personally, and I know everyone is different, I find my eyes are attracted to a red reticle quicker so it’s better for CQB distances but the green allows me to be slightly more accurate which was more important for this rifle’s role.

Another big plus for the TA110 is the eye-box. I have a VCOG 1x6 on another rifle and I HATE the eye-box (scope shadow) on the VCOG. The very poor eye-box makes the VCOG my least favorite optic. Since the ACOG body is tapered in exactly the opposite direction as the VCOG it has a much more forgiving eye-box that suits me MUCH better.

I really enjoy having the ability to adjust the brightness in varying light. In and out of buildings it works great. Eye relief is a non issue with the ADM mount. The 4x has made shooting out to 400 a breeze and the reticle works darn good for the holdovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not going to rush this decision since the PA is serving the purpose for now, but I’d really like a first tier optic on this rifle. I just can’t get excited over LPVOs since I always run them at the extremes of the range and my little reptilian brain likes fixed magnification. The PA has reaffirmed the 3-4x range is good for me at the ranges this is being shot (normally out to 300, occasionally further - but not on paper.)

The red horseshoe TA-110 is really appealing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I got a TA-02 to replicate the TA31s we are issued in my unit, mainly because I didn't want to deal with the tritium dying.

It is a little heavier (2 Ozs) than a TA31.

Reticle brightness can get super bright.

Always appreciate the ranging feature and BDC.

It's built like a tank and likely more durable than most folks need.

Glass is excellent as to be expected.

FOV is wide which is useful for the optic's secondary role for observation.

Eye relief is manageable but I shoot with a fairly collapsed buttstock.

I mounted a holosun 507C on top of it for close transitions though I still prefer a dedicated RDS for that role as the height over bore is so high.

I've basically settled on using a RDS + Magnifier if the majority of my shooting will be 200m and in, versus the TA-02 for longer ranges.

For my latest lightest weight build I've been running a Primary Arms SLx 3X ACSS with a offset 507C which has been a very reasonable combo for the price and weight.

I was looking at prism alternatives this morning, and the one I’m seeing with the most appeal is the SIG BRAVO4 (the current one that they sell paired with a ROMEOZero, not the spaceagey original.) But we’re talking over half the price of a TA110. Vortex makes a couple, but like the SIG they are made offshore.

I wish there were other US made options for battery illuminated prisms besides Trijicon.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I was looking at prism alternatives this morning, and the one I’m seeing with the most appeal is the SIG BRAVO4 (the current one that they sell paired with a ROMEOZero, not the spaceagey original.) But we’re talking over half the price of a TA110. Vortex makes a couple, but like the SIG they are made offshore.

I wish there were other US made options for battery illuminated prisms besides Trijicon.
    I suppose it matters what you want. Acogs are expensive until you realize they will last forever. I have am acss model and regular ol triangle reticle. Both have fiber and tritium. I have an offset rds for low light so I'm not concerned with it dying to be honest.

This is petty, but one of my biggest hesitations in buying an ACOG is the difficulty in capping the lenses. I know you can get a ScopeCoat for most models for safe protection, but that won’t do anything in the field. I’m a photographer, and when I see exposed optics I reach for a cap.

I can get over it.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This is petty, but one of my biggest hesitations in buying an ACOG is the difficulty in capping the lenses. I know you can get a ScopeCoat for most models for safe protection, but that won’t do anything in the field. I’m a photographer, and when I see exposed optics I reach for a cap.

I can get over it.
    Carried an acog on two deployments as an infantryman. Never had an issue when only using a kill flash. Wiped the lense daily and thst was it

User Tag List