Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery powered ACOGs?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This is petty, but one of my biggest hesitations in buying an ACOG is the difficulty in capping the lenses. I know you can get a ScopeCoat for most models for safe protection, but that won’t do anything in the field. I’m a photographer, and when I see exposed optics I reach for a cap.

I can get over it.
    The best part of the ACOG is that it is the most Soldier & Marine resistant optic ever made. The spectacularly stupid and abusing things those optics suffer happily must be seen to be believed. Uncovered optic? No biggie. Joes wiped moon dust from out of the objective using baby wipes, dirty socks, all kinds of shit, and only the real ham-fisted idiots ever managed to scratch the lens. The Trijicon lens pen works far better, unsurprisingly.

One of my joes dropped a TA11 ACOG equipped M249 off of a guard tower. Well, more accurately, he leaned the M249 up against the guard railing in a stupid way, and bumped it, and it fell off the tower. Same derp, same derp result. Thankfully it was clear with a sealed belt box and the feed tray closed.

Belt box broke off, IIRC it bent one of the bipod legs a bit, but the optic and weapon were fine. The ACOG did take a substantial hit on the side of the optic, and we had to destroy the cover for the windage adjustment to remove it. Worked fine though, and it even held zero which I wasn't expecting, especially considering the fragile nature of the feed tray cover, which the ACOG or any other optic mounts to on the M249.

Sold me on the ACOG though, that much is for sure. Yes, the LVPO's beat it in overall performance especially with a trained/familiarized shooter that knows that specific LVPO. But LVPO's service lives are measured in weeks sustaining use & abuse where ACOG's will survive for decades.

If you really want caps, the caps and tenebraex set made for the M150 TA31 RCO reportedly fit the TA02 as well, but the front cap mounts to the tenebraex so you'd have to keep that. Not sure about options for the 3.5x TA110 or other TA11 style models.

With the TA02, though, you can skip the eyebox problem if you forego the installation of a folding backup rear iron sight, and mount it further rearward to your preferred hold.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...o-mount-lt681/

For eye relief issues I've seen this mount recommended.

https://www.admmfg.com/b3-c-acog-mount-tl

ADM also has one that allows the use of MBUS Pro under the mount while still pushing the optic rearward.

No experience with either.

I’m not sure the TA110 will accept a killflash, I’ll have to look at that.

There’s a lot of Walter Mitty going here for me - no way do I need the full capability of an ACOG. But I *want* one, and have for years. It won’t be going on patrol in this lifetime. But that’s ok, quality has its own appeal.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    https://www.larue.com/products/larue...o-mount-lt681/

For eye relief issues I've seen this mount recommended.

https://www.admmfg.com/b3-c-acog-mount-tl

ADM also has one that allows the use of MBUS Pro under the mount while still pushing the optic rearward.

No experience with either.
    Very useful - thank you! I need to get my hands on one to see where I’d me mounting it with my preferred stock position. There’s something fitting about using a LaRue mount on a LaRue rifle, though.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Very useful - thank you! I need to get my hands on one to see where I’d me mounting it with my preferred stock position. There’s something fitting about using a LaRue mount on a LaRue rifle, though.
    https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/kra...g-pattern.html

Also this option gives you more rear sight options, but has to be paired with a optics mount. On the plus side it is compatible with the OEM mount so is the most cost effective option.

Again, no experience.

Site Supporter
    What I wouldn't give for a battery powered TA33.

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    What I wouldn't give for a battery powered TA33.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/kra...g-pattern.html

Also this option gives you more rear sight options, but has to be paired with a optics mount. On the plus side it is compatible with the OEM mount so is the most cost effective option.

Again, no experience.
    I have one and a cantilever from adm, both are great

I may have found another non-PRC made battery powered prism option that is more economical than a ACOG - Steiner.

The T series is on clearance at many places, it’s made (or at least assembled) in Germany and has flip-ups. Downside seems to be no QD option, but current thinking seems to be to not use QD and add offset backup sights. I think we’ve discussed these recently, I need to find the threads.

The 4x T432 is the one most tempting me. But, my concern is that I’ll still want the ACOG.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Do the battery-powered ACOGs direct mount on a carry handle?

User Tag List