Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Splash 2: Aerial object shot down over Alaska

Just listening to a government press conference, and their decision to shoot the hobby balloons (my description, not theirs) for the safety of aircraft. Let's just say I wouldn't want to be a sand hill crane these days.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

S2 Underground briefly discussed some of the stories being thrown out there. The basic point of a weather ballon or hobby balloon costing $150 traveling that distance does feel unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    S2 Underground briefly discussed some of the stories being thrown out there. The basic point of a weather ballon or hobby balloon costing $150 traveling that distance does feel unlikely.

I don't know who S2 Underground is but it's been reported that some of these 12$ balloons can stay aloft long enough to circumnavigate the globe multiple times. A quick google search will find ham operators gleefully talking about pico-balloons going around 6 times in 75 days.

EDIT: It actually looks like a pretty friggen cool hobby, and apparently there are active high-altitude ballooning clubs near me....but I'm guessing now isn't the best time to get into this.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 02-18-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I don't know who S2 Underground is but it's been reported that some of these 12$ balloons can stay aloft long enough to circumnavigate the globe multiple times. A quick google search will find ham operators gleefully talking about pico-balloons going around 6 times in 75 days.

EDIT: It actually looks like a pretty friggen cool hobby, and apparently there are active high-altitude ballooning clubs near me....but I'm guessing now isn't the best time to get into this.
    https://youtu.be/kzGRfoQq06w

I started following them prior to the Russian invasion. I was getting classified intel updates twice a day at that point and they were the source putting out consistently good OSINT that I was aware of. They’re far more knowledgeable and experienced than I am in every topic they discuss but it all fits with what I do know from work.

They didn’t directly acknowledge this theory, they just briefly discussed commercial weather balloons. How they’re similar or different, I don’t know, but it seemed reasonable that balloons from hobbies groups wouldn’t suddenly be the target of fighters without some interesting reasons. Just like I wouldn’t expect to have a platoon of Abrams suddenly start blasting my local gun club.

"Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    I'm feeling a little verklempt.

We were standing with a friend in front of his house this afternoon, when Charlie announced "guys, you better take cover because a sidewinder may be inbound." We said what, and she pointed at the sky, where a small plastic bag was floating around in the thermals.

Name:  3A3E1FA4-D7C5-44A2-B960-E78B02A04DD2.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  25.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This is going to keep happening, isn't it?

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List