Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo on the shotgun - 4? 6? More?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    3 or 4 for balance and weight reasons.

I’ve generally done 4 but Rob Haught makes a good argument for a 3 round carrier for handling and balance point issues.

AFAIK there is only 1 documented example of a select slug drill being done for real.
    Regarding that statistic. Is that a case of selecting a slug after rounds are already being fired? Or is that including an officer arriving with a tube full of buckshot then determining that the threat may be in a vehicle? If time permits, loading a slug when a slug would be better as you prepare the SG for the engagement would be prudent. Stuffing a slug into the tube from the side saddle before charging the gun may make some sense. This kind of decision on arrival seems reasonable. I have heard @jlw mention that he used to roll/currently rolls with two like SG. One with buck and one with slug so that the most appropriate load can be selected upon arrival.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That setup sounds like a good setup for a police issue gun in a department that runs buckshot and slugs where an officer may be required to slug select to deploy the gun against a vehicle or a big animal that needs to be put down.
    Or for someone who owns livestock/property and has a shotgun handy and may need to engage a critter at distance.

For typical home defense I wouldn't worry about slugs at all. I live in a pretty typical suburban environment and I just keep buckshot in my side saddle.
    This was exactly my thought on the issue. I agree about HD and buckshot being the go-to.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Tube capacity?
    5 in the 14"
    6 in the 18"
    Last edited by Jason M; 02-10-2023 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Regarding that statistic. Is that a case of selecting a slug after rounds are already being fired? Or is that including an officer arriving with a tube full of buckshot then determining that the threat may be in a vehicle? If time permits, loading a slug when a slug would be better as you prepare the SG for the engagement would be prudent. Stuffing a slug into the tube from the side saddle before charging the gun may make some sense. This kind of decision on arrival seems reasonable. I have heard @jlw mention that he used to roll/currently rolls with two like SG. One with buck and one with slug so that the most appropriate load can be selected upon arrival.
    IIRC: An officer was engaging a suspect with buckshot and it was not having the desired effect due to range. Perceiving that the buckshot wasn't hitting sufficiently the officer performed a slug select drill and proceeded to end the fight.

Site Supporter
    Just one period. And in that one slug was selected before rounds started flying. The idea of swapping ammo types under fire is, IMHO unrealistic.

Just adding a slug to a “down one” mag tube and racking is the easiest way to do it vs some of the convoluted kabuki dance bullshit promulgated over the years.

For me slugs are mostly a replacement for a rifle at short ranges when you don’t or can’t have a rifle.

Site Supporter
    Ok. Thanks for the response. Simpler is certainly better. Waaaaaay back in the academy (with revolvers and SG) we did drills with decision making about the SG. They all revolved (pardon the pun) around distance and whether or not you were getting shot at upon arrive. The "correct" responses varied but one was "select slug" via the tube prior to loading the SG. I agree with you about the folly of trying to change up once things go loud.

5 in the 14"
    6 in the 18"
    Sorry. I meant to address GJM in my post and was curious about the tube capacity in his shotgun with the loadout he described in his post.. Should have been more specific in my question.

I am thinking along those lines as well. The most versatile product for this seems to be the VCS velcro cards and plate.
    You probably already know this but that plate isn't really necessary as you can just add your own loop velcro directly to the receiver to keep things simple and much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    You probably already know this but that plate isn't really necessary as you can just add your own loop velcro directly to the receiver to keep things simple and much cheaper.
    You can, certainly, but with steel-receiver guns there is the potential for trapping moisture against the metal and inducing rust where you can't see it. That's the reason VCS uses the plate system.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Just one period. And in that one slug was selected before rounds started flying. The idea of swapping ammo types under fire is, IMHO unrealistic.

Just adding a slug to a “down one” mag tube and racking is the easiest way to do it vs some of the convoluted kabuki dance bullshit promulgated over the years.

For me slugs are mostly a replacement for a rifle at short ranges when you don’t or can’t have a rifle.
    Do you have any reference/link for that incident? I'm sincerely curious, as I've often heard of select-slug utility (and we teach it, if only because it's a great way to get reps in on manipulating the action), but I've long wanted to find an actual case of select-slug drill being used.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List