Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 103

Thread: Ammo on the shotgun - 4? 6? More?

  1. #1
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    PA

    Ammo on the shotgun - 4? 6? More?

    Hello all!

    Since we all tend to agree that the defensive/duty shotgun is generally a "fight with what is on the gun" affair, how many rounds are you carrying on the gun? I am specifically thinking about sidesaddle/shot card capacity. What saith the group?

    I have given the matter some thought and am leaning toward 5 rounds of LE133 in the tube with an "empty slot" to select a slug combined with 6 round carrier on the gun with the concept of a 2 Brenneke slug/4 LE133 buckshot load. Does anyone have any other configurations that they use for the same purpose?
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

  2. #2
    The R in F.A.R.T RevolverRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gotham Adjacent
    870s are currently running six rounds of buck (LE133 in 12ga and Spartan #1 in 20ga) in the tube + six rounds of buck on the side, guns are cruiser read (empty chamber, safety off, slide forward but unlocked).

    I'm OCD - so I have a hard time not having the side saddle completely full of the same shell that I grab and load the same way.

    I've thought of making something kind of like the old Ares Armor 'Remora' Shell holder - https://soldiersystems.net/2014/08/2...tshell-holder/ to attach to a forend for slugs. But I got waylaid from that by the Flamingo and Rob Advanced Side Saddle which in its current design iteration has a provision for a couple of slugs to be mounted on the ends.

  3. #3
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    PA
    Thanks, RR.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

  4. #4
    Tactical Nobody Guerrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    The MKE
    I don't remember who, but someone on the forum runs a 5-shot card, because that's how many shells are in a box. Seems like decent advice, so I do it, too. A 5-shot card seems about the right size for me, too.
    ďBad decisions are not made through a lack of skill or innate judgement: they are made because of an inability to handle pressure at the pivotal moment.Ē
    -James Kerr, from his book Legacy

  5. #5
    What gun are you running? If itís an 870, or something similarly capable, I wouldnít download the tube. Just half cycle the action, push the shells past the shell catch, open the action, and port load a slug. Assuming you pre-emptively know you need one as your first shot for whatever reason.

    For shells, on my home gun I run front to back, a Buck shot brass up, 2 slugs brass up, 3 buck brass down. Working, I run all the same load, first two are brass up, next four are brass down.

    Personally, when Iím working I want more rounds, and am trying to find a way to carry more on my kit. But thatís not lethal ammo, and the gun is used for more diverse applications using more ammo. If it was a home defense, sbs, Iíd likely consider a 4 round saddle since the weight it already reduced. However, on the 18.5 gun, with a light, and extended tube, the extra weight/bulk of the 6 round saddle vs 4 is negligible.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I don't remember who, but someone on the forum runs a 5-shot card, because that's how many shells are in a box. Seems like decent advice, so I do it, too. A 5-shot card seems about the right size for me, too.
    We donít issue tube extensions. I assume because they like that 4 in the tube and 6 on the saddle is exactly 2 boxes.

  7. #7
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    PA
    Thanks fellas!

    This is for an 870. The ability to load a slug from the beginning is a capability I wish to have. Leaving a space in the tube, loading a slug, and working the slide is something with which I have experience/reps.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

  8. #8
    The R in F.A.R.T RevolverRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gotham Adjacent
    Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    What gun are you running? If itís an 870, or something similarly capable, I wouldnít download the tube. Just half cycle the action, push the shells past the shell catch, open the action, and port load a slug. Assuming you pre-emptively know you need one as your first shot for whatever reason.

    For shells, on my home gun I run front to back, a Buck shot brass up, 2 slugs brass up, 3 buck brass down. Working, I run all the same load, first two are brass up, next four are brass down.

    Personally, when Iím working I want more rounds, and am trying to find a way to carry more on my kit. But thatís not lethal ammo, and the gun is used for more diverse applications using more ammo. If it was a home defense, sbs, Iíd likely consider a 4 round saddle since the weight it already reduced. However, on the 18.5 gun, with a light, and extended tube, the extra weight/bulk of the 6 round saddle vs 4 is negligible.
    My variant is to slam the slide back and roll the gun starboard and dump the shell on the lifter into my hand or onto the ground. Then port load the slug.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Thanks fellas!

    This is for an 870. The ability to load a slug from the beginning is a capability I wish to have. Leaving a space in the tube, loading a slug, and working the slide is something with which I have experience/reps.
    In that case, I'd roll brass down front two shells as slugs in the saddle, back 3-4 are buck and also brass down. Remember the reason we roll brass down vs. brass up is how we're going to load the shells (tube vs. port). Brass up lends itself to the port load more than tube loading. Brass down you can easily do both with.

    While I'm OCD, OCD takes a back seat to practical. For my single-shot 50-state legal road trip gun, I have 2-slugs in the fore-most spots on a 6-round butt cuff.

  9. #9
    If you are carrying in a side saddle on the shotgun, brass up is less likely to fall out hiking over hill and dale, thrashing thru brush.

    I leave a side saddle on the shotgun when the shotty is stored, and the side saddle goes into my back pocket or an AR15 holder on my belt when hiking. Slugs in the tube, slugs in the side saddle, and one high brass 6 shot in my pocket for whatever.

    Lower 48, buck in the tube inside, slugs in the side saddle. It is hard for me to envision reloading (except admin loading) when I would prefer buck to slugs.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  10. #10
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TEXAS !
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Hello all!

    Since we all tend to agree that the defensive/duty shotgun is generally a "fight with what is on the gun" affair, how many rounds are you carrying on the gun? I am specifically thinking about sidesaddle/shot card capacity. What saith the group?

    I have given the matter some thought and am leaning toward 5 rounds of LE133 in the tube with an "empty slot" to select a slug combined with 6 round carrier on the gun with the concept of a 2 Brenneke slug/4 LE133 buckshot load. Does anyone have any other configurations that they use for the same purpose?
    3 or 4 for balance and weight reasons.

    Iíve generally done 4 but Rob Haught makes a good argument for a 3 round carrier for handling and balance point issues.

    AFAIK there is only 1 documented example of a select slug drill being done for real.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •