Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AIWB: use longer holster than model of gun?

The “rise” of the trousers is also part of the equation. Low-rise trousers, and a long holster body, can present an engineering problem.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    As others have said, I find that a longer holster works better in AIWB for me as well. Also relaxed fit pants work better as well. The fabric being loose in the area of the muzzle won't compress a wedge or pillow as much so the grip won't tip out. YMMV
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    ...relaxed fit pants work better as well. The fabric being loose in the area of the muzzle won't compress a wedge or pillow as much so the grip won't tip out.
    That's a great tip. Some "tailored fit" pants still have enough room or stretch in the crochital region.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I carry a 26 in a JM AIWB for a G17.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I carry a 26 in a JM AIWB for a G17.
    Is this your normal EDC? I’m just curious. I have been carrying my 19 in a JM made for it or one made for a 34. There are times I carry my 26 simply because I appreciate the shorter barrel and a different pressure spot. When I carry my 26 it’s in a raven Vanguard. I just figure
    If I’m carrying a 19/34 holster I might as well carry at least my 19. Is there a reason you choose the 26 with that set up?

I found that it is more comfortable than in a holster for the 26. With a short holster the muzzle wants to dig in and the grip wants to tip out. I tried claws, wedges, pads, and it helped some but was not nearly comfortable and not as concealable as using a 17 length holster.

I carry a 17 too, but the 26 in the same holster is a lot lighter and the grip doesn’t print near as much.

I've been finding that with a shorter holster I need a bigger wedge, the reason being that the wedge doesn't have anything firm to push against if it lands above my superior pubic ramus. I think that's the biological version of "longer holster prevents grip tip-out."

So counterintuitively, I find it easier to conceal a G19.5 in a G17 holster than a P365XL in a P365XL length holster. I mean the 365XL is doable, but requires a bigger wedge... and at some point it just seems weird to have a huge wedge for a small gun.

User Tag List