Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AIWB: use longer holster than model of gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Too short of a holster can dig, and tip out above the belt. But, I don't solve this by using aa longer holster. Like @FreedomFries, I use a Mastermind ACP "Crotch Pillow" that extends below the holster itself. That solves the lever/fulcrum problem at the belt line, while avoiding a long stiff thing (phrasing) in my pants.
    Name:  BA6212A6-D43B-4C36-B4C9-3ADE5C51C915.jpeg
Views: 573
Size:  57.8 KB

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I'm new to CCW and read in a couple places that suggested carrying your pistol in a longer-than-spec'd holster for AIWB. In my case, this would carrying my Glock 26 in a holster for a Glock 19. I don't understand why this is done (comfort? concealment?). Do wedges and/or wings give same benefit without longer length? Thanks.
    Short answer, yes, longer is better. This is THE forum where all of that came to be, so as far as modern AIWB goes, you're in a pretty awesome spot. Concurrent thought with many of the same folks also on Total Protection Interactive. Poke around and catch up on some of the cool history here.

Longer response, some copy-pasta from something I'm trying to polish up...

Working with the following understanding...

Wedge: Hard formed feature typically integrated into the holster.
    Pad: Softer foam of some sort item added to the holster later by the user. The pillow devised by a P-F user here applies as well.
    Wing: A lever on the back, trailing side of the holster that uses the belt/pant tension to react against and apply inward force to the holster about the axis of the barrel, rotating the grip inward.
    Muzzle Extension: On a small semi-auto, a longer slide portion of the holster. On most double stacks, merely carrying in the longer model holster (G19 in a G17 holster).
    Muzzle Wedge: A formed feature directly under the belt, a predecessor to a wing, and serving the same purpose.

A good AIWB holster will use some combination of all of these features. In order to keep the gun, grip, and slide most tangent to the body to conceal, there will need to be some amount of force applied with the belt/pants or body. We manipulate several things to do all of this. We can push the muzzle outward (muzzle extension, wedge, or pad) and we can push the grip inward (wing or belt wedge). To push the muzzle outward we can use a wedge or pad, but there will be some issues as the holster gets shorter. The shorter the slide, the more force the wedge or pad will see. If using a pad here, you may squish is a little more. A wing with a ramped lever like our Dark Wing will do this ever so slightly for some. In the specific case of a G26 in a G19 holster, the G26 has a pretty broad margin of concealment, so you won't need to get super aggressive on pads and wedges.

A muzzle extension/longer holster takes the corner of the muzzle that would be pushing into the pelvic tissue and moves it down a bit, leaving a flat part of the holster against the body instead.

Pad placement is dictated by what you need it to do. You can use them for comfort or concealment, in both cases it's pretty easy to figure out. If there's a hot spot, pad it. If you need a little rotation about the belt, the left-right is kinda indifferent. If you need some help for a wing, then more towards your centerline will help. Be mindful though with pads, as they are softer there's only so much they can do. If you find yourself crushing pads over and over, perhaps consider something more firm, or adjust the holster position so you're not fighting things so much.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

I always carry my 26 in a 19 holster for AIWB. Short holsters have tendency to want to roll over the top of the belt, es no bueno.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

I won’t claim to have it all down. But my preference is a Glock 17 holster with my 17 or 19’s. Amazing enough, longer holsters are more comfortable. Mostly a Tenicor Certum 3 and I have a JM AIWB I dig as well. I get wedges from Mastermind and form my own. Proper size camming bar, wedge and a great belt (Tenicor Zero) I’ve got a good system. 2 other major components of my AIWB system is Underarmour compression underwear and compression under shirt. They both keep the gun/holster from grabbing skin and help comfort a ton.

I also have a JM kydex AIWB for my Glock 42. It’s longer than the pistol too.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

I have a G17-length Velo 3 that I used when I ran nothing but G17s. I've sold the pistols but kept the holster and it works really well for carrying a G26 and G19. It has an integral wedge which performs an identical function to the foam wedges/pillows. I have no personal experience with add-on wedges and pillows so I cannot offer a comparison.

I made the mistake of ordering a 43-length holster for my 43X and it taught me what rollover/tipping was. For such a slim gun, it printed more than my G17s did simply because the grip would tip outward with any normal movement like sitting down, or bending over to pick up something I dropped on the floor. Also, the shorter holster body didn't lend itself to adjusting cant. With AIWB, I prefer a slightly muzzle forward cant to make it easier for me to get a good grip before I clear the holster. Adjusting the 43X rig to give me that cant lessened the amount of holster below the belt, increasing the tendency to roll over.

I needed to wear the holster closer to 2 o'clock, with no cant, to help stabilize the whole thing but it wasn't comfortable for more than a few hours. I should have gotten a 48-length holster and even then, I wonder if that length would have been enough for my body type and build.

Aside from the length of the holster, I would give some thought to attachment method. Whether you choose clips or loops, you may want to go with something that will allow you to straddle belt loops.

I always have went the longer holster to help with concealment.
    (Ex.19 in a 17holster)

The whole “keel” function of a longer pistol, and attendant enhanced concealment, is why I have always carried only full size pistols successfully in AIWB.

For me and my specific physical characteristics, a combination of a VP9L with a PL350 in a PHLster Floodlight using a Vdevgru Megingjörð AIWB belt with their teardrop foam wedge produces a solution that was comfortable enough to routinely endure 10 hours in my sports cars.

No small feat, I can assure you. (But a darn small car.)

I tried a 19 in a 17 holster for a while and wasn't a fan. Dark star gear wedge on my tenicor certum 3 has been the best combo and I stopped my holster shopping/ experimenting when I found that combo

Site Supporter
    Valid points here.

I just dropped a huge chunk of change and a lot of time waiting on my second SME holster. My original was for a 5" 1911. When I ordered the second one I was carrying a G17, and decided I might want to do the Roland Special thing with a comp that brings it to G34 length.

Still the most comfortable holster I have ever worn AIWB, and it will work from G26 to G34....not the only AIWB Glock holster I have, but almost always the one I reach for...

I like my Enigma for my Ruger LCR so much that I may get one for a Glock, but different standards and all....it would still be a special purpose rig, and not likely to replace the SME as my daily go-to.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 02-11-2023 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

I’m currently carrying either a Commander 1911 in a Government length holster or a snubby LCR in either a true 3” LCR holster or a slightly trimmed one that’s still longer than necessary for the snub.

If you’re doing really low ride carry, take that into consideration. It’s the only time I don’t want an extra inch or so.

Another benefit is if you end up with different size pistols you’ve simplified your inventory. Two of my three 1911s are Government length, and all my 1911 holsters work for them if they need to. Same could be true if you had, say, a mix of Glock 17s, 19s, 26s, and even 34s.

User Tag List