Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AIWB: use longer holster than model of gun?

AIWB: use longer holster than model of gun?

I'm new to CCW and read in a couple places that suggested carrying your pistol in a longer-than-spec'd holster for AIWB. In my case, this would carrying my Glock 26 in a holster for a Glock 19. I don't understand why this is done (comfort? concealment?). Do wedges and/or wings give same benefit without longer length? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I'm new to CCW and read in a couple places that suggested carrying your pistol in a longer-than-spec'd holster for AIWB. In my case, this would carrying my Glock 26 in a holster for a Glock 19. I don't understand why this is done (comfort? concealment?). Do wedges and/or wings give same benefit without longer length? Thanks.
    I always carry my G26 in a G19 or G17 sized holster. The added length provides stability vs. rollout at the waistline and makes it easier to keep the gun tucked into the torso.

A wedge can assist with comfort and keeping the gun tucked in, whereas the wing in most cases keeps the grip tucked into the ribs. You'll have to fine tune the fit...which is part of the overall experience.

Start out with a good holster. I highly recommend both JMCK and Dark Star Gear...which are my two go-to makers for my Glocks. (Tenicor is another quality maker.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I was a big believer in carrying everything in a 17 or even 34 length holster. It is less of an issue for me now with a crotch pillow. I just have the king sized crotch pillow overhang the bottom of the holster an inch and this gives me the stability I need even with a 19 length holster. The crotch pillow also has moved me over to preferring WML holsters as they feel more stable than non-WML holsters.

Yes, allowing for personal ah, comfort in that area, longer is better (helps to keep the holster tilted in board, and not flop over) I've found.

I carry a P365X in a P365XL length holster, for example. (JM CK AIWB 2.5 with a single DCC slip, MMT Appendix Carry Pillow).
    Name:  IMG_1229.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  101.7 KB

I strongly recommend you read this... and then read it again.

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/wp-c...andout-PDF.pdf

Too short of a holster can dig, and tip out above the belt. But, I don't solve this by using a longer holster. Like @FreedomFries, I use a Mastermind ACP "Crotch Pillow" that extends below the holster itself. That solves the lever/fulcrum problem at the belt line, while avoiding a long stiff thing (phrasing) in my pants.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I strongly recommend you read this... and then read it again.

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/wp-c...andout-PDF.pdf
    Read this and had no idea about wedge placement. I figured dead center was the way to go. I’m gonna play around a bit now.

To OP yes I carry a G19 in a G17 JMCK George holster and my P365 in a P365XL holster of the same make.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    Read this and had no idea about wedge placement. I figured dead center was the way to go. I’m gonna play around a bit now.
    Some "wedges" lend themselves to a lower and/or offset position, but some don't. This issue was what led me to develop the Junk Carry Pillow" that Mastermind now makes a commercial version of.

Name:  e4203c7b8e2a07a40194ed6203a1a920.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  31.5 KB
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

No. Well maybe. I like 1911s shorter than 5 " and k frames shorter than 4" for aiwb.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Some "wedges" lend themselves to a lower and/or offset position, but some don't. This issue was what led me to develop the Junk Carry Pillow" that Mastermind now makes a commercial version of.

Name:  e4203c7b8e2a07a40194ed6203a1a920.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  31.5 KB
    I’ll have to try those out. Currently using a foam wedge that seems less forgiving of placement (just tried it out).
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

User Tag List