Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First shot flyers from semi auto pistols

I either have not noticed this with Glocks, or am just not good enough to notice anything super-subtle. That said, it’s absolutely been a thing with 2nd and 3rd gen Smiths, in my experience. As in, off by an inch at 10 pretty consistently.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

@SLG noted that over on Pistol-Training:

https://pistol-training.com/my-glock-shoots-to-the/
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

HAve noticed on several occasions. It is always vertical displacement. I have assumed that it was powder-position related because it seems consistently more of a thing with .45ACP than 9 or 40.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Name:  2AE0FF9A-911F-4A5D-BFB7-AFA862574558.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  41.7 KB

Pistol and a typical B6 if I was doing my part. Can’t remember why or how that FMJ round snuck in there. I may have posted this pic in the FS 25 yard thread.

Pistol is stock and the ammo was SWC hand loaded stuff I was gifted.

If I hand chambered, that first round would be high/right 5 or six ring action.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    If I hand chambered, that first round would be high/right 5 or six ring action.
    Definitively, my P30 does not have such a big POI shift when I hand chamber the first round. Because I'm especially focused shooting the first round, usually I hit at least a 9 with the first shot (ISSF pistol precision target @ 27 yd, diameter of the 9 ring ≈ 3.9 inch).

PS:
    What exactly do we mean by "hand chambered" and "hand cycled"? Usually I load the first round from a locked-back slide by pressing the slide release lever. I do not ease the slide forward when loading.

PPS:
    Sorry, did not see that @lwt16 shot from 50 yd (I assumed 25 yd). Did some maths:
    B-6 target, diameter of the 6 ring = 14.80 inch. That means a POI shift of 3.7 inch @ 25 yd (10.3 cm @ 25 m).
    No, my P30 does not have such a big POI shift.
    Last edited by P30; 02-09-2023 at 02:02 PM.

25 yard group from Sunday. Hand cycled. A lightly sprung 9mm Operator. If this is something that doesn't show up til 50 yards then I don't have much to offer.

Name:  9mm Op 25 yds.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  35.5 KB

ETA I was holding on the center staple spot so I may have a click or two left needed.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    25 yard group from Sunday. Hand cycled. A lightly sprung 9mm Operator. If this is something that doesn't show up til 50 yards then I don't have much to offer.

Name:  9mm Op 25 yds.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  35.5 KB

ETA I was holding on the center staple spot so I may have a click or two left needed.
    do you know which shot was the first one -- if it was the one at 2 o'clock it would be a flyer for that excellent group?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Also from Sunday was this Modified FBI Bullseye shot from 25 yards. I shoot this in 5 round strings so there are 6 hand cycled first shots there.

Name:  287 9x.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  43.0 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    do you know which shot was the first one -- if it was the one at 2 o'clock it would be a flyer for that excellent group?
    Yes the one lowest to the left/center. I was dismayed the group shaded right, possibly because of not enough grip which I've been coached will error 1911 hits to the right.

This is a "thing" but a pretty miniscule thing at 25 yds. and under.

Funny things don't start really showing up on target with loads until 50+, or at least for my handloads when I was testing.

User Tag List