Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First shot flyers from semi auto pistols

When I was shooting rifles today, I shot a group at 50 with my EDC G19 with a Mayhem barrel and Gold Dot 124, hand cycled. OK for 50 but I did have one flyer. Can't be certain it was shot one but it is suspicious.

Name:  469719E8-E6D7-4818-A5FB-4A756A88CB80.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  42.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I shot five different five round groups at 50 yards this afternoon, two with a G5 26 and three with a G47. Each group displayed what I consider a single flyer. I don't see this so much at 25, but at 50 and beyond, at least with a Glock it is something I have come to expect.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Over the last few years I've been shooting a lot of 22LR in scoped bolt action rifles from the bench at distances from 50 yards out to 400 yards.

Rimfire rifle shooters also see the first round syndrome. The rounds are chambered exactly the same way for all rounds. I can see the rounds hit the target in my scope. When I chronograph, the first round often has a significantly higher velocity.

This is the infamous "cold bore" shot. The reasons why have been discussed on the internet at least as much as the 9mm vs 45ACP question.

Just some food for thought.

This is definitely a thing with Glocks. My gen5's shoot predictably about 2" low and 1" right at 25 of the center of the group at 25 yds on the first shot.

User Tag List