Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EvoSec Podcast w/Tim Herron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Uhhhhh....no. The angle subtended by 32 MOA is a constant. The distance the angle "spreads" is a fairly easy computation. Unless I am really missing something fundamental, 32 MOA is 8.38" at 25 yards.
    This is why you’re an engineer and he’s a Rawk Guitarist.
    ;-)

Uhhhhh....no. The angle subtended by 32 MOA is a constant. The distance the angle "spreads" is a fairly easy computation. Unless I am really missing something fundamental, 32 MOA is 8.38" at 25 yards.
    I’m not denying the math on the subtended angle. I’m simply referring to the visual differences or distortions I see based on how far I hold the optic from my eye. And that MAY affect how someone sees the circle size to the size of the target. BUT, it just occurred to me maybe it’d due to my synthetic lenses from cataract surgery.

I’ll have to mess with it some more tonight. It could fully be a personal vision issue.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is why you’re an engineer and he’s a Rawk Guitarist.
    ;-)

I’m an accountant too.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    I’m not denying the math on the subtended angle. I’m simply referring to the visual differences or distortions I see based on how far I hold the optic from my eye. And that MAY affect how someone sees the circle size to the size of the target. BUT, it just occurred to me maybe it’d due to my synthetic lenses from cataract surgery.

I’ll have to mess with it some more tonight. It could fully be a personal vision issue.
    No worries, it's all good.

Doc told me couple weeks ago I was also due for cataract work sometime in the semi-near future...so I got that going for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    I’m an accountant too.
    Then you know the math doesn’t lie …

So I'm full of it regarding the change of 32moa size in relation to how far you have the pistol from your eyes. I tested it out on a target last night. It stays consistent... what I'm seeing is an "optical illusion" in reference to the window of the optic.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

No worries, it's all good.

Doc told me couple weeks ago I was also due for cataract work sometime in the semi-near future...so I got that going for me.
    So I had early onset, I was 44 I think when I was diagnosed. But it had been affecting my vision for a while and then went downhill FAST. Having my eyes fixed with synthetic lenses and then even further with laser was incredible.

With the combo of the RDO and my vision correction I'm shooting 40% better - basically instantly. My vision was simply "masking" my abilities that were there.

Back to shooting the 32moa. It seems it works better for me in competition as apposed to running drills where I'm trying to be more precise. I did take 2nd overall at my last IDPA match... just a local match of course. But it was my best match ever - I was running the 32moa circle.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

I enjoyed the episode with Tim Herron. I've used the 32 MOA reticle on my carry gun since seeing @GJM mention it here a few years ago.

After the Tim Herron podcast, I listened to the episodes with Defoor, and the one with Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny. Both were excellent, but I wish there was more discussion with Marc about his firearms training, and his thoughts on aging as a martial artist. @rawkguitarist - perhaps fodder for a future podcast with Crafty Dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I enjoyed the episode with Tim Herron. I've used the 32 MOA reticle on my carry gun since seeing @GJM mention it here a few years ago.

After the Tim Herron podcast, I listened to the episodes with Defoor, and the one with Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny. Both were excellent, but I wish there was more discussion with Marc about his firearms training, and his thoughts on aging as a martial artist. @rawkguitarist - perhaps fodder for a future podcast with Crafty Dog?
    Thanks for listening! Good suggestions on questions for Marc. I think he still goes to my bro's jits gym. Will have to have him on again.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

User Tag List