Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EvoSec Podcast w/Tim Herron

EvoSec Podcast w/Tim Herron

I just listened to @rawkguitarist's outstanding interview with USPSA GM Tim Herron. This episode was jam-packed with awesomeness, including a very intriguing discussion of the 32moa circle reticle on Holosun optics.

https://evosec.libsyn.com/tim-herron...ot-circle-only
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I just listened to @rawkguitarist's outstanding interview with USPSA GM Tim Herron. This episode was jam-packed with awesomeness, including a very intriguing discussion of the 32moa circle reticle on Holosun optics.

Man... thanks so much for the kind words Clusterfrack! It was a fun interview... unfortunately he spent my money. I already have the standard EPS with the 2moa Dot only. But, I ordered a EPS Multi-Reticle today.

Literally about to record an episode right now. Gotta go!
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Tim is a solid instructor. I got a yuge amount of benefit from his two-day class last Feb in Homestead. I will definitely check this out.

I listened to this at the gym this week; it's an excellent podcast. Very well done.

Quick summary of the start times for some of the red-dot centered content, in case it helps others focus for this thread:

06:55

The 32 MOA Dot overview
    Diagnostics and brightness
    Losing the dot, erratic movement

17:40

Refining the dot using lowered intensity
    Dealing with getting eyes drawn to the dot
    Target Size of 32 MOA at 25 yards

20:28

The 32 MOA Ring as "training wheels"
    Newer dot shooters and issues with presentation consistency

One comment: Tim indicates a couple times the 32 MOA circle is the size of an NRA B-8 9 ring (black part) or 5.5", or inside a USPSA 6x6 headbox, at 25 yards. I am not 100% sure of this; I calculate 32 MOA at 25 yards as 8.38"? This would be the size of the 8 ring (8.00"), not the 9 ring (5.54"). What I use for making B-8s are X=1.70", 10=3.30", 9=5.54", 8=8.00". My calculation for "spread" of MOA in inches at arbitrary range is Spread = Range * Tangent of (MOA * PI / 180) (have to convert minute of angle to radians). But maybe someone can check my math on this in case I'm forgetting something.

Overall I really enjoyed the discussion. Maybe I need to rethink my next dot purchase to include the option for the MRS. I will definitely look at Tim's suggestions for using the dot with what I have now, though; a 6 MOA 407k.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-23-2023 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I listened to this at the gym this week; it's an excellent podcast. Very well done.

Quick summary of the start times for some of the red-dot centered content, in case it helps others focus for this thread:

06:55

The 32 MOA Dot overview
    Diagnostics and brightness
    Losing the dot, erratic movement

17:40

Refining the dot using lowered intensity
    Dealing with getting eyes drawn to the dot
    Target Size of 32 MOA at 25 yards

20:28

The 32 MOA Ring as "training wheels"
    Newer dot shooters and issues with presentation consistency

One comment: Tim indicates a couple times the 32 MOA circle is the size of an NRA B-8 9 ring (black part) or 5.5", or inside a USPSA 6x6 headbox, at 25 yards. I am not 100% sure of this; I calculate 32 MOA at 25 yards as 8.38"? This would be the size of the 8 ring (8.00"), not the 9 ring (5.54"). What I use for making B-8s are X=1.70", 10=3.30", 9=5.54", 8=8.00". My calculation for "spread" of MOA in inches at arbitrary range is Spread = Range * Tangent of (MOA * PI / 180) (have to convert minute of angle to radians). But maybe someone can check my math on this in case I'm forgetting something.

Overall I really enjoyed the discussion. Maybe I need to rethink my next dot purchase to include the option for the MRS. I will definitely look at Tim's suggestions for using the dot with what I have now, though; a 6 MOA 407k.
    Thanks for listening!

I came here to report I’ve been toying with the circle only. Shot a match yesterday running it. I’m no superstar even at local matches. But it was the best match Ive shot. 2nd overall. I still think shooting groups I need to run the 2moa dot. But if I’m doing explosive movement around an IDPA stage, I think the 32 circle may be my jam.

My first EPS is the dot only. I’m super glad I sprung for another one in the multi-reticle format.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

Eric and Aaron do a great job with their show . One of the few that provides great info on every episode. Plus they are just great humans.

QUOTE=Clusterfrack;1450633]I just listened to @rawkguitarist's outstanding interview with USPSA GM Tim Herron. This episode was jam-packed with awesomeness, including a very intriguing discussion of the 32moa circle reticle on Holosun optics.

https://evosec.libsyn.com/tim-herron...ot-circle-only[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLapre View Post
    Eric and Aaron do a great job with their show . One of the few that provides great info on every episode. Plus they are just great humans.

QUOTE=Clusterfrack;1450633]I just listened to @rawkguitarist's outstanding interview with USPSA GM Tim Herron. This episode was jam-packed with awesomeness, including a very intriguing discussion of the 32moa circle reticle on Holosun optics.

Thanks Chris!

I'd suggest anyone looking for our episodes, they take a listen to your's. I think you're the raining king of repeat appearances. Also... for good reason!
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I was thinking about your observation here today as I was dry firing. The circle gets larger the further you extend it. So I don't think there could be any hard and fast measurements regarding actual MOA of the reticle. Depending on the length of someones arms, how far they extend them, their own vision ect. I think its hard to say exactly how large the circle/dot will appear. I've seen others besides Tim comment on the circle being the size of the 9 ring. But unless I didn't pace it off correctly or its the proclivities I mentioned above, my 32 MOA circle was still larger than the 9 ring when I tested it at 25 yds.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    Thanks Chris!

I'd suggest anyone looking for our episodes, they take a listen to your's. I think you're the raining king of repeat appearances. Also... for good reason!
    Reigning. Reining. Raining.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    I was thinking about your observation here today as I was dry firing. The circle gets larger the further you extend it. So I don't think there could be any hard and fast measurements regarding actual MOA of the reticle. Depending on the length of someones arms, how far they extend them, their own vision ect. I think its hard to say exactly how large the circle/dot will appear. I've seen others besides Tim comment on the circle being the size of the 9 ring. But unless I didn't pace it off correctly or its the proclivities I mentioned above, my 32 MOA circle was still larger than the 9 ring when I tested it at 25 yds.
    Uhhhhh....no. The angle subtended by 32 MOA is a constant. The distance the angle "spreads" is a fairly easy computation. Unless I am really missing something fundamental, 32 MOA is 8.38" at 25 yards.

User Tag List