Thread: Dark Star Gear "Apollo" Holster - G19

Dark Star Gear "Apollo" Holster - G19

Wanted to take a minute to mention Tom's @Dark Star Gear new Apollo holster which I received in the mail today.

Cool holster that goes on and off easily with the RCS hooks and grabs my Tenicor "Zero" belt securely. I tried reasonably hard to pull it off the belt by pulling straight up as well as side to side with no luck at all. Neither hook lost its purchase.

The hooks easily straddle my Duluth pants belt loop with room to spare. Even without installing the Dark Wing, the holster tucks into my torso pretty darn well...making it invisible under a sweatshirt, and nearly so under a long sleeved cotton tee shirt.

The G19 length is very comfortable for me both standing and sitting, and I don't feel a need for a wedge for comfort, or, at this juncture, to enhance concealment.

The hooks lay flat enough on the belt line that my eye is not drawn to them in the mirror...nor, without the Dark Wing, is the rear corner of the slide making its presence known with a dimple in the fabric.

The only thing I have found in any fashion to call a "nit", is that since the holster is ambidextrous, the guard, (if not trimmed), makes a tapping sound if you hit your finger over your shirt against the top of the slide. Other than that, I haven't found any weaknesses.

Fit and finish are as we've come to expect with any holster from DSG.

(By the way, here's a link to a short review from Shooting Illustrated.)

And here's a quick image of the holster with my Gen5 G26:

Name:  IMG-1199.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  68.4 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'll report back here on any mods...such as adding a pillow / wedge, or installing the Dark Wing as time goes on.

I just got one too. I replaced it with DCC clips. I really like it. I think i might add a pad or part of one.

Any ideas whats the best way to trim the sweat guard?

Quote Originally Posted by NoLock View Post
    I just got one too. I replaced it with DCC clips. I really like it. I think i might add a pad or part of one.

I'd go to the source...

@Dark Star Gear can you help the brother out?

I installed one of my Mastermind pillows (standard size) to try out the next time I'm out of sweatpants. I'm still hoping to not have to put the Dark Wing on. I like having a wingless holster as an alternative. We shall see how things progress.

I think the DCC's would be a good swap out, but I plan to use the holster as built by Tom since he was the one that reached out to me to get my impressions.

One thing I forgot to mention in the first post, (my apologies), is that the retention of the holster is very positive, and the gun seats with a firm click. (This is not an impediment to drawing, however.)

Okay, back with some results from further testing...

The addition of the standard sized Mastermind pillow, (of which I already had a few on hand), added a bit of extra comfort, but more importantly added some extra tuck to both the grip and rear of the slide. Both are so well tucked into the torso with this minimal addition, that I can't even spot the grip or slide under a long sleeved tee worn outside the pants. (Obviating the need for a wing in my case.)

There may be slightly less thickness with DCCs at the waistline, but truth be told, I wasn't picking up the RCS hooks from the front or side. (Tested with and without a spare mag on the belt line at 11 o'clock.)

Retention of the pistol, with my G26 as well as my Blue Gun for practicing presentation, is stellar...with a positive click going in, but an easy firm draw from the holster. The gun is not going anywhere and would stay put during vigorous activity up to the point of someone getting a hold of it and yanking it out.

The RCS clips hold the gun to the belt just fine. You will lose the gun to an adversary long before you will lose the holster from your belt in a tussle.

Very comfortable...the G19 length hits a sweet spot for me when positioned near or at the inguinal crease.

The width and spacing of the RCS hooks easily accommodates my Duluth belt loop and allows positioning in the same exact location every time. The width also contributes to a very stable positioning of the grip for presentation, and holds it there.

I do not find a need for the addition of the Dark Wing to this holster setup. It conceals just fine, and is easier to put on and take off. It really can't get any easier than this. And I love how well the holster works in this minimalist guise.

So, my honest opinion is that this holster is more than capable of being my primary carry despite owning several other G17 and 19 sized holsters from both Dark Star Gear and JMCK. It's that good. The only nit being what I mentioned in the first post, about being able to make a clicking sound if you intentionally or inadvertently tap the holster material against the top of the slide... (since this is what would be the sweat guard if I reversed the holster for lefty carry).

I think Tom's got a winner here...especially when one also considers that it is offered at a lower price than his Orion line with which I am intimately familiar, and have a handful.

Hope this helps anyone who may be considering the reinvented Apollo line...and my thanks to Tom for sending this along. It will see plenty of carry time.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLock View Post

I'd get some masking tape, or if you're risk averse, just a sharpie or maker that will show, and mark the line you wanna cut, just to the cut side. Using a straight edge, we use the scribe from a square, and score the plastic several times. Once you have a decent groove, use a new utility knife blade and continue the careful scoring. Once you have a groove with that that feels like you can't let the knife jump out, up the applied force a little and do a few more passes. Then check to see if you can bend the shield off. It should snap like drywall. At that point, a sanding sponge or any other similar implement can be used to clean the edge up. I'll usually draw file then hit it with a scotchbrite type wheel. If going only by hand, a drywall sponge would be the ticket. Then a little automotive interior detailer to clean it up and even the look out.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

With Mastermind pad attached...protrudes about 1/2" beyond muzzle end of holster. Ready to meet the day.

Name:  IMG-1201.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  IMG-1203.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  59.6 KB
    Last edited by blues; 02-11-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Decided to update this because, (since we can never leave anything alone, or "as is"), I had a couple of spare DCC Mod-4 Universal clips on the shelf and figured, what the hell...

Works just fine, and a very quick and easy swap. I don't know if it's much of a measurable upgrade, in terms of actual performance or security, but as with the OEM setup, it doesn't require a wing under a t-shirt and doesn't print unless I raise my arms over my head...and that would be the same no matter what holster I was wearing.

It's a little more effort to mount on the belt compared to the original hooks, but no big deal. The DCCs hold very snugly to the belt and the holster rides in the same position as originally configured.

Hope the info is useful. This @Dark Star Gear holster is a little gem.

Name:  Apollo G26.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  56.3 KB
    Last edited by blues; 11-04-2023 at 11:51 AM.

Site Supporter
    I just received my Apollo for my WC 320C. I too have added the Mastermind Pillow and ordered DCC Mod 4 Clips as I like the slimness and security over the RCS clips. Great Holster overall and very user adaptable. Excellent workmanship and service.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List