Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Music you hate

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Free-form jazz (or pretty much any jazz that's not big-band-swing type)
    Modern praise music
    OMG the winner early. I forgotten that horror. I push spiritually themed tunes to family and friends that do music for their services with "what about this? Is God stuff?" They never bite.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Oh mannnnn, that old Judas Priest? Dokken? Dio? The Clash?
    The Clash (And punk in general) was an exemption. The only healthy part of the era.

Bro Country. Or anything with obvious autotune.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Most of the stuff from 80s. Hair metal, generic butt rock, Madonna... pretty much anything. The funny thing is that shit is still better than Beyoncé and Taylor Swift, LOL
    Agree!

I went from The Who and Allmans to British Invasion in the 80's... The only decent "new" rock bands in the 80's were Van Halen and RHCP... I'll give you a pass on REM and The Police. College party dance music was The Smiths, Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, etc.

Oh mannnnn, that old Judas Priest? Dokken? Dio? The Clash?
    I saw The Clash get booed off the stage opening for Santana and The Who at JFK stadium in '82.
    Setlist shows a full set from The Clash for that show, but, after Joe Strummer took an object in the face they gave the crowd the finger and walked off after maybe the third song.

I thought the Clash was pretty ok, but would never have put them on the stage with Santana and the Who..

My Daughter liked a lot of that awful rap back in HS... That is some awful, horrible stuff.
    Today's Country music is barely better than 70's easy listening. Too many ballads.

ETA: Adele. Adele singing causes my chest to tighten.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Also, all rap. Songs should be sung.

When I first heard rap, back before a lot of people on this board were born, I said that the lyrics were all variations on "Hey, brother, steal that car. Drive to where the white women are."
    I used to think that way but what about all those talking blues songs - Bob Dylan had a bunch, maybe he was the OG rapper.

As a man who recently started to love hip-hop in his 40's with someone coming across Brother Ali and Atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Also, all rap. Songs should be sung.

When I first heard rap, back before a lot of people on this board were born, I said that the lyrics were all variations on "Hey, brother, steal that car. Drive to where the white women are."
    All rap? A lot is bad. But I like a lot of rap.

Some of it is powerful.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Most country. Most rap. Nirvana. Boy/Girl bands. Most new stuff.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I like most rap better than most pop, even if it’s not usually my first choice for listening, and plenty of it is just good in its own right. But my favorite music is various sub-genres of black metal, so singing isn’t a requirement for me in the first place.

As for music I hate, pretty much all country, mindless pop that was clearly written with money as opposed to art being the primary focus, and then I agree with others on modern worship music. If I’m not listening to metal, I’m probably listening to liturgical chant.

Modern worship music is mostly bad U2 cosplay, or in other words a poorly executed knockoff of something that wasn’t that great to begin with. Like store brand cheese puffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    ...a poorly executed knockoff of something that wasn’t that great to begin with. Like store brand cheese puffs.
    That's some sig-worthy gold right there.
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Free-form jazz (or pretty much any jazz that's not big-band-swing type)
    Modern praise music
    OMG the winner early. I forgotten that horror. I push spiritually themed tunes to family and friends that do music for their services with "what about this? Is God stuff?" They never bite.
    I volunteered for a time at a thrift store that supported an animal shelter. Among other things, I'd go in on Saturdays to be part of the crew sorting donations. There was a CD player; the rule was that the first person to arrive got to pick the music. So one of the volunteers liked that God shit. I'd go in and that's what would be blaring out. I'd stay maybe an hour before I had my fill of that noise. And I wasn't the only one.

Eventually, she realized that she was doing most of the work by herself. She finally asked one of the manages where all of the other volunteers were. That worthy had to break the word to her that her musical choices sucked and maybe she might want to keep her love of the Almighty between her and Him.

Maybe it's just me, but I distrust public piety. I think that those who are the most overt about their relationship with their Dear and Fluffy Lord are the ones most likely to slip a shiv inbetween one's ribs.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List