Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us

Site Supporter
    So the show is a left wing plot or is it a right wing plot?

Two old guys want to have sex - not my business. One old guy wants to have lots of guns - fine with me.

It's a show, don't like it, don't watch.

The special effects (the ruined cityscapes, fungal zombie makeup etc.) are really good. They've been doing cool stuff on recent shows with digital sets, practical effects, combined with the more typical CGI to bring these settings to life better, rather than the traditional everything-is-blue-screen stuff we saw before. The Mandalorian did a lot of cool things on that front and I need to watch some behind the scenes stuff for this show too.

The show itself is a bit of a drag though. I start to lose interest pretty quickly when characters do dumb things just to advance the plot. Why would you leave a bunker-load of weapons and ammo behind when you have a truck to carry a bunch of it? Because it's more dramatic to have to stab someone with his own knife to save a bullet. Why would you sprinkle broken glass on the floor in front of a door to serve as an alarm when a piece of furniture would work a lot better? Ah, ok, he did that so it wouldn't work, because they had to get captured at the end of the episode. Joel probably left his pack and all of their supplies with the truck so that next episode they'll have to go steal supplies, because they need to have more confrontations with the other characters we saw.

The episode with Ron Swanson and guy from the White Lotus was the best so far, and as far as I know it was a big departure from the video game.
    Last edited by GlockenSpiel; 02-08-2023 at 02:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    Wife is watching. I catch a few scenes occasionally. Meh.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That character of Bill being gay is original to the story from 10 years ago. It's not a librul conspiracy of forcing the gays on you.

Nick Offerman, regardless of playing Ron Swanson, is actually a liberal. Projecting some sort of conservative homophobic worldview upon him that has now been shattered to the point that you can't watch a TV show is pretty ironic given he's a registered Democrat in California that wanted Pocahontas as POTUS and thought Trump was a, "cheese dick criminal" and that the character he played, Ron Swanson, would have never voted for Trump because Ron Swanson was a good person. He even tweeted to Trump in response to a policy announcement, "Shove it up your ass".

Those are just the straightforward comments. If you want to read into some of the stuff he has said/written, you can reasonably assess that he was referring to conservatives as "whiteheads coming to the surface that need to be exhumed".

ETA: I'd even take a guess that Offerman took that role and ran with it just for the fact that it would piss off people like you, as he has consistently complained about conservatives turning him into some sort of idol when his character Ron Swanson was meant to be a caricature/parody.
    Noice. I guess he had a point then.

How anyone would miss that caricature I don't know but it was fun to watch. And to identify (for me anyway) with re "all the bacon" or was it eggs, or whatever.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I thought it started out strong but I got bored and lost interest with the Boston police state and insurgency and bailed.

Maybe I should get back in and see the journey cross country. I'll watch Ron Swanson man do just about anything LOL
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That character of Bill being gay is original to the story from 10 years ago. It's not a librul conspiracy of forcing the gays on you.

Nick Offerman, regardless of playing Ron Swanson, is actually a liberal. Projecting some sort of conservative homophobic worldview upon him that has now been shattered to the point that you can't watch a TV show is pretty ironic given he's a registered Democrat in California that wanted Pocahontas as POTUS and thought Trump was a, "cheese dick criminal" and that the character he played, Ron Swanson, would have never voted for Trump because Ron Swanson was a good person. He even tweeted to Trump in response to a policy announcement, "Shove it up your ass".

Those are just the straightforward comments. If you want to read into some of the stuff he has said/written, you can reasonably assess that he was referring to conservatives as "whiteheads coming to the surface that need to be exhumed".

ETA: I'd even take a guess that Offerman took that role and ran with it just for the fact that it would piss off people like you, as he has consistently complained about conservatives turning him into some sort of idol when his character Ron Swanson was meant to be a caricature/parody.
    I'm sorry I hurt your feelings! And thank you for letting me know that the Ron Swanson character is a caricature/parody.

Site Supporter
    BTW, SNL did a parody based on the show plus SuperMario as the game. Funny.

I've been watching it and thus far give it a 7 out of 10, with potential.

I don't do video games, so I don't have that as a point of reference which may help me. But, my sons tell me the sexual orientation is accurate to the game. Ron Swanson playing half a gay couple? It is called acting afterall. I found that particular episode to be well done and actually touching. The show really didn't have my interest until then. The only time I don't care for sexual orientation in media is when it's obviously pushing gender politics and exclusionary agendas, which admittedly happens quite often these days. Then again, I don't need a bunch of heteros jumping into bed either, in case anyone was wondering. Remember Strikeback? Loved the show, but the gratuitous sex could have been despensed with. On the other hand, when sexual orientation is simply part of the story rather than a propaganda platform, then I'm fine with it.

I eventually lost interest in The Walking Dead. If this winds up being yet another zombie/post apocalypse type affair, I'm sure it'll go the same way.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    BTW, SNL did a parody based on the show plus SuperMario as the game. Funny.
    Yes it’s pretty funny!

Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I'm a huge fan of the game, have played through both parts countless times since it's original PS3 release. I don't like people playing with source material, even if it's one of the game's creators doing it, I get some things work better in different forms of media, games vs tv/movie. But they're adding new characters and story-arcs not present in the series already so I feel kind of meh on that notion. Overall I'm enjoying it enough so far and look forward to more episodes.

We haven't seen much of the infected yet but that should change, next weeks teaser shows a bloater, which should have been shown in Bill's town last episode, but if it's true to the game they should run into trouble escaping the city. People that didn't play the game kind of have a notion that the infected are the main concern, but really it's the other humans, so don't be put off at the "lack of zombies" so far. The 'Rat King' should make an appearance next season which should be insane if done right. I'm looking forward to the Colorado chapter the most if it follows the game and the character 'David'.

User Tag List