Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WiFi settings blocking a website?

WiFi settings blocking a website?

I noticed about a month ago I couldn’t access the website of the store/indoor range I belong to if I’m on my home WiFi network. I tried 3 devices and 2 browsers and got nothing except a blank screen. I paused my ad blocker and cleared my cache but nothing changed. The only way I can get to the website is if I turn off the wifi and use cellular data.

It doesn’t do this with any other website, firearm related or otherwise.

Are there settings I should be looking for or what? I’m computer literate enough to turn one on correctly 2 out of 3 times and know even less about wireless networks.

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Sounds like a firewall nanny setting. Are other firearms related sites affected the same way?

N/M, I reread your description.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Check your URL.... If you are using a bookmarked URL, and the link starts with HTTP... you may need to edit the link to be HTTPS
    (This could be caused by the website adding security.... which is good)

If that doesn't fix it and you don't mind sharing the website (PM is ok)... I can try to reach it from here and see if I get similar issues... I have a very-Ad-blocked version of Firefox...

Seems if it was your ISP, you'd be having issues on other sites as well..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I noticed about a month ago I couldn’t access the website of the store/indoor range I belong to if I’m on my home WiFi network. I tried 3 devices and 2 browsers and got nothing except a blank screen. I paused my ad blocker and cleared my cache but nothing changed. The only way I can get to the website is if I turn off the wifi and use cellular data.

Are there settings I should be looking for or what? I’m computer literate enough to turn one on correctly 2 out of 3 times and know even less about wireless networks.

Thanks!
    What error screen do you get?

First thought is maybe a DNS problem at your network provider. (DNS is sort of like the phone book that lets your device look up the numerical address of a site from the name). If it's DNS, the website might have moved to a new provider and it can take up to a week (usually much less) for DNS to update worldwide. If it's something like that the problem will probably go away on it's own in a day or two.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

If it is a DNS issue, flushing the local cache may help. It may not help if the DNS is provided by the network provider. To flush the DNS cache on a Windows PC, do the following:

1) At the bottom left corner, type 'cmd' in the Start menu's search bar, and press Enter.
    2) Type 'ipconfig /flushdns' in the Command Prompt, and press Enter.
    3) The user has now flushed the DNS Cache and will receive a message that they have successfully done so.

For a Mac OS machine, do the following:

1) Type Command+Space to open Spotlight.
    2) Type Terminal, and select Terminal from the search results.
    3) Enter this command into the Terminal window: "sudo dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder" and then press Enter. ...
    4) Type your password, and press enter again.

Thanks!
    Could you post a bit more details of your home WiFi network? For instance, are you using a cable modem/router combination supplied by your service provider? Or did you purchase your router yourself, and plug it into your cable modem?

In either case, are you capable of logging in to your router? Do you know it's URL (e.g. 192.168.1.1), username and password?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Seems if it was your ISP, you'd be having issues on other sites as well..
    Not necessarily. My personal email was not connecting through my provider. I had to turn off WiFi to send emails for almost a week. It didn’t seem like anything nefarious, likely just a DNS setting that was changed and didn’t propagate properly or a false flag.

Thanks everyone! I got Shanghai’ed last night so I couldn’t fiddle with anything but let me answer what I can so far.

No other websites are affected just www.rangeusa.com. I get a totally blank screen with no error messages. This happens from my bookmark (which is current with the https), typing the address directly into the browser and google searches.

This is happening on an iPhone, iPad and desktop. Browsers tried were the latest version of Firefox, safari and IE on the desktop just for giggles. Turning off Adblock doesn’t change anything.

I have confirmed on my phone that by turning off WiFi and going on cellular data I can access the website. I have not confirmed this on the iPad yet. I don’t have that option for the desktop but I might try the hotspot on my phone to see what happens.

I’m pretty sure I can access the wireless router info. It’s a Netgear I bought a couple of years ago. Modem is through our ISP.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thanks everyone! I got Shanghai’ed last night so I couldn’t fiddle with anything but let me answer what I can so far.

No other websites are affected just www.rangeusa.com. I get a totally blank screen with no error messages. This happens from my bookmark (which is current with the https), typing the address directly into the browser and google searches.

This is happening on an iPhone, iPad and desktop. Browsers tried were the latest version of Firefox, safari and IE on the desktop just for giggles. Turning off Adblock doesn’t change anything.

I have confirmed on my phone that by turning off WiFi and going on cellular data I can access the website. I have not confirmed this on the iPad yet. I don’t have that option for the desktop but I might try the hotspot on my phone to see what happens.

I’m pretty sure I can access the wireless router info. It’s a Netgear I bought a couple of years ago. Modem is through our ISP.
    If it is a DNS issue, ultimately you'll want to either get the entry squared away at the local DNS server or change the DNS server your router uses. Since your desktop is effected you can jiggle the setting on the desktop to see if changing the DNS provider fixes the issue. Assuming you are on Win 10 this is the first hit in a DuckDuckGo search (so not a site I've used but the instructions look decent):

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...ngs-windows-10

I'd screenshot or write down any settings before changing them, just in case. If you do this, let us know how it comes out.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

For what it’s worth I just followed that link with no issues. iPadOS, Safari, Eero Wi-Fi.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List