Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Browning Hi Power or Springfield SA-35?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    "Super rare FN handgun" probably won't apply to what FN seems to be trying to position as a service weapon that they're going to make a ton of...you could make the same argument for all kinds of one-off factory Berettas with comps and etc. The base model M9/92F is still out there in numbers, but the one-offs with unique parts are a little more difficult to repair.

Besides, they're not SIG

We'll see if FN drops this or not in a few years; hopefully not. When the current set of projects are completed, I'm going to be poking at my LGS and seeing if they can order me a new FN through one of their distributors..
    Hope you are right as it really does seem like a nice pistol. To add context the “super rare” FN I was talking about was the pistol that FN developed to compete with the P226 and Beretta 92 and all the other wonder nines of the 1980s and 1990s. It too was supposed to be their next generation platform and carry them into the 21st century.

Ah, this takes me back; Papa Guerrero taught me to shoot pistols with a 1960's era BHP (which was the gun he bought when he turned 21) and a box of NATO-surplus 9mm (that stuff was a little stout).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As someone with a couple Brownings, I've always fantasized about getting serious with the platform and maybe even sending on in for special treatment. The one issue that keeps coming up in my fantasies is the disabling of the magazine safety and what possible consequences it might have in a court room. For that reason my fantasy keeps having me look towards Springfield.
    I had the factory mouse-trap magazines NP3'd and left the magazine disconnect alone. I'm probably not good enough of a shooter to realize any benefit of removing it. I like a little heavier street trigger.

While I can definitely see @Evil_Ed's reasoning, I don't have much faith in FN supporting this pistol 10 years down the line. As an owner of a super rare FN handgun which I just had to custom make a sear spring for, I wouldn't want to be holding the bag if/when those zany Belgians decide to put another great gun to pasture.
    I understand, and actually share, your trepidation. The really f*cked up thing? It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Everyone takes a wait-and-see attitude, hence sales aren't what they expected them to be, hence FN gets a crappy return on their investment, hence off it goes to the rubbish pile. Maybe if the curious went out and bought them, the sales figures would drive production, as well as aftermarket support.

I wish I had enough extra funds to really put my money where my mouth is, alas.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I had the factory mouse-trap magazines NP3'd and left the magazine disconnect alone. I'm probably not good enough of a shooter to realize any benefit of removing it. I like a little heavier street trigger.
    ……….
    I wish I had enough extra funds to really put my money where my mouth is, alas.
    Can’t argue with a single point you make - especially the last!

So I decided to buy the Browning as they aren't making the classic MKIII model any longer and the clones should be around for quite some time. As soon as it comes in, off to Novak's it will go. I wish Karl was still with us as well. I miss talking with him.

I have a number of superb grips and need a pistol for each grip set (1911 grip sickness always extends to BHPs as well ) so more purchases are already in the back of my mind.

I'll follow up with pics and a range report when the project is done. Thanks for all the input and the PMs.

User Tag List