Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browning Hi Power or Springfield SA-35?

Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

And the recommended minimum for any previously owned FN/Browning High Power acquired:

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index....94433593750000

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Honestly?

If I were just now deciding to get on the bandwagon of a ~90 year old gun? I wouldn't. (As a 1911 fan it pains me to say that...also as someone with a handful of WWII and post-war BHPs, including a Novak custom...)

I'd go for the new Hi-Power made by FN before I'd consider any of the knock offs or the even any of the original versions of the BHP, due to all of the known deficiencies in the design, and all of the random weird issues the knockoffs are sure to have as they're reverse engineered copies vs being made from the TDP/blueprints from FN.

The new FN fixes a lot of long-standing gripes with the platforms, updates it a bit for the 21st century and keeps most of the original's lines. In fact about the only deficiency they haven't addressed yet is mounting optics...which is hopefully coming soon as an updated rev to their new line. Well, ok, and mounting a light, too.

True - it won't accept previous iteration grips or mags. It still doesn't seem to come with a light rail (please, FN? Eventually?) But if you want %90 of the original with %100 updated ergos, modern manufacturing, bigger mag capacity and a less finicky disassembly...the new FN is the way to fly, IMO.

Many of the deficiencies inherent to the High Power in its original guise have been, or can be addressed. Probably the most serious is the square magwell profile, making speed reloads somewhat problematic. But there are at least two aftermarket options out there which can successfully address this.

The new FN offering is too new for me to unreservedly jump on its bandwagon. I do not think its very price competitive, which is a disincentive for me to dabble in what's essentially an unproven gun. And FN has picked up a reputation for orphaning and essentially abandoning their pistol platforms in relatively short order.

From what I've seen, I believe that this new FN High Power is a springboard for a polymer-frame variant, which should be less expensive and with more options. The new one as it is is too dissimilar to the classic one to be a huge temptation to older High Power owners, and too expensive (and also likely too heavy) for those shopping for a new defensive pistol.

It's probably an excellent pistol. But it's an at this time an unproven one, and, at its price, I'll happily let others be the beta testers. And wait for future platform developments.

I'm sticking with my Mk III .40 High Power (with significant BH SS upgrades and improvements) for the time being.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

How does the 40 cal. shoot in the HP platform?
    Any issues? Always been intrigued by the HP in 40.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I've had three, and they all shot/shoot well. Here's the long-running thread where I detail out the ongoing journey with my current one: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....sited-Part-One

I'll be using mine in our upcoming IDPA Regional Match in April.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Like many of us here, I have a safe full of modern 9mms to scratch just about any itch and I really have no inclination to explore the new FN. What I envision is a Novak Hi Power with Spegel grips. I just wonder if it is worth spending a $2k on a thirty year old pistol versus coming close with the Springer? One difference being that Novak's won't fit their rear sight on the Springer.

I'll have to read through the BHspringsolutions web page and read the reviews. Ironically, I just received a spare factory ambi from them in anticipation of this project in case I buy the SA-35.

Thanks for all the great info and recommendations!

I have no experience with the Girsan guns but I do with the Tisas. My sample's frame cracked after not very many rounds and no hard use with +P or etc. Granted the importer replaced it without complaint but the experience left me a bit gun shy.

Rumor is the SA-35 is a Tisas with final fit and finish done in the States. This is quite possibly true especially considering the slide sight dovetails appear to be the same between the T and the SA. Another option is only the slide is sourced from Turkey. It is also possible that none of the parts are Turkish but then why the Turkish sight cuts?

In any case, I do very much like the look of the Springfield. The program manager has done a nice job of keeping a classic look and adding a bit of modern flare. My hope is that these guns will play out to be essentially an equivalent of the Milspec 1911s. A decent range toy as-is but probably best when used as a basis for a custom build.

I do have an SA-35 but it has fallen off my radar for a couple reasons. A big one being the passing of our friend Karl Sokol. My plan was (still is) to shoot the gun a bit to get a good idea of what might need gunsmith attention and then send it off for work. Now that Karl is gone I'll probably send it to MK3 or maybe Don Williams.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    As someone with a couple Brownings, I've always fantasized about getting serious with the platform and maybe even sending on in for special treatment. The one issue that keeps coming up in my fantasies is the disabling of the magazine safety and what possible consequences it might have in a court room. For that reason my fantasy keeps having me look towards Springfield. Whatever the issues with Springfield, they have been around all of my life and I suspect they will still be strong when I get too feeble to shoot. The various Turkish imports I have less faith in despite the "fact" they may use the same forgings as the SFI guns.

While I can definitely see @Evil_Ed's reasoning, I don't have much faith in FN supporting this pistol 10 years down the line. As an owner of a super rare FN handgun which I just had to custom make a sear spring for, I wouldn't want to be holding the bag if/when those zany Belgians decide to put another great gun to pasture.

"Super rare FN handgun" probably won't apply to what FN seems to be trying to position as a service weapon that they're going to make a ton of...you could make the same argument for all kinds of one-off factory Berettas with comps and etc. The base model M9/92F is still out there in numbers, but the one-offs with unique parts are a little more difficult to repair.

Besides, they're not SIG

We'll see if FN drops this or not in a few years; hopefully not. When the current set of projects are completed, I'm going to be poking at my LGS and seeing if they can order me a new FN through one of their distributors..

User Tag List