Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought the .38 J-frame...

I have tried the Federal Gold Metal wadcutters in my .442 and they work well. However, Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain FTX was more accurate out of my particular 442 than the Federal load. I was able to hit more consistently with it I assume because seemed to have a bit less recoil that the wadcutter load.

A heavier bullet would be nice but I decided to stick with the more accurate load in my particular gun.

Site Supporter
    I'll do the broken record thing and recommend Federal wadcutter if it shoots to the sights in your gun. It's what I use in my '70s production M49. Standard velocity 158-grain RNL or SWC ammo will hit to the same POA for practice ammo. My M642 needs 125-130-grain ammo to hit to POA, and it's loaded with the Ranger 130-grain bonded JHP; 130-grain ball would work for practice ammo. I use the same Harry's Icon for either gun.

Dark Star Gear and Harry's Holster "Icon" cover the belt or waistband carry for me.

In pocket I use an Aholster for pants or a Mika for jacket pocket.

Winchester RA38B, 130 gr +P is my carry of choice.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    I have tried the Federal Gold Metal wadcutters in my .442 and they work well. However, Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain FTX was more accurate out of my particular 442 than the Federal load. I was able to hit more consistently with it I assume because seemed to have a bit less recoil that the wadcutter load.

A heavier bullet would be nice but I decided to stick with the more accurate load in my particular gun.
    That’s a good one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    • Any recommendations on IWB holsters? I prefer stuff that is fairly minimalist or at least thin (e.g. Vedder Light Tuck for my P30SK), and I don't mind spending good money on a holster.

• Any recommendations for carry ammunition? Since I don't expect much in the way of expansion at ~800 FPS, I've looked at Black Hills Honey Badger 100 gr. and Federal HST Micro 38 Special +P 130 gr. (P38HST1S). I don't know about the recoil on either of those rounds, and they seem to be pretty much unavailable anyway.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations. It's good to know revolvers are still alive and well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Holsters:
    Dark Star Gear
    Phlster
    JM Custom Kydex
    Harry’s Holsters

Ammo:
    Federal gold medal match 148gr wadcutter
    Georgia Arms G38S 148gr wadcutter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    I’ve got a Dark Star gear Apollo for ruger LCRs that I like for belt line carry. I like A Holsters backbone for pocket carry, and a wilderness renegade for ankle carry.
    Holsters are well covered already...I have an Airweight in an Aholster Backbone as I'm typing this. If you want leather, I'd look at Simply Rugged and Privateer Leather. My son has an IWB holster from Side Guard for his LCR that he likes and is well made. They recently replaced the metal belt clip that he trashed at no charge, and were a pleasure to deal with. (He works at an auto shop and is rolling around on the concrete floor a lot)

In addition to the Georgia Arms G38S load, I'd look at Lost River's WC loading. I want to try out the Hornady 110's for the speed strips. +P and even 130 gr. FMJ aren't fun to shoot out of my 37.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I use a JM OWB for my J frames. However, that is only for bug matches. If I carry the gun due to dress or NPE, it's a DeSantis pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Holsters:
    Micro HST has erratic performance at best from 2” barrels and has been discontinued by Federal for poor performance.
    Do they work better from a 3" gun?

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Do they work better from a 3" gun?
    No, they expand to much and struggle to get 10"
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Thanks for the replies, all.

It looks like wadcutters might be the way to go. I'll see how they shoot from the 340.

I'll be doing some research on the holsters mentioned in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Which J did you get?
    S&W M&P 340. I would have bought a .38 if S&W offered one with the Big Dot front sight, but the .357 was the only option. I went back and forth since the price difference between the 442 and the 340 is substantial, but the sight and the lack of internal lock is worth the extra money to me.

User Tag List