Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought the .38 J-frame...

So I bought the .38 J-frame...

In another thread, I had debated going .22 Magnum in a J-frame due to an experience years ago where I had issues with the recoil of .38 Special + P in an airweight J-frame. Due to the wisdom of the forum, I tried shooting the .38 again and did not have issues this time. I brought home a .38 (technically .357) J-frame last weekend and have been dry firing for the last couple of nights. I could use some help with the following:

• Any recommendations on IWB holsters? I prefer stuff that is fairly minimalist or at least thin (e.g. Vedder Light Tuck for my P30SK), and I don't mind spending good money on a holster.

• Any recommendations for carry ammunition? Since I don't expect much in the way of expansion at ~800 FPS, I've looked at Black Hills Honey Badger 100 gr. and Federal HST Micro 38 Special +P 130 gr. (P38HST1S). I don't know about the recoil on either of those rounds, and they seem to be pretty much unavailable anyway.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations. It's good to know revolvers are still alive and well.

Holsters:

Dark Star Gear
    Phlster
    JM Custom Kydex
    Harry’s Holsters

Ammo:
    Federal gold medal match 148gr wadcutter
    Georgia Arms G38S 148gr wadcutter

Micro HST has erratic performance at best from 2” barrels and has been discontinued by Federal for poor performance.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 02-07-2023 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I’ve got a Dark Star gear Apollo for ruger LCRs that I like for belt line carry. I like A Holsters backbone for pocket carry, and a wilderness renegade for ankle carry.

Ammo wise, I’ve got some 130 +p hst and Winchester rangers from when it was a work bug. I switched to a 9mm LCR for that role. I still use the LCR 38 as pocket gun around the house. I think a lot of people will recommend the federal gold medal match 148gn wad cutters. I found the fiochi version and have been using that with the +p rounds in a speed strip if I have one. The wad cutters give minimal recoil and good penetration.

Jason

Third the wadcutters, particularly given your recoil concerns.

They are not cheap, but the Federals are well liked and have been hard to find--they are available direct currently:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....m-Federal-1-rd

https://www.federalpremium.com/handg.../11-GM38A.html

Wadcutters for all the reasons mentioned above. A particular favorite is the Precision One 158 grain copper plated wadcutter.
    Plated or jacketed ammunition keeps you out of some reliability issues caused by leading.

https://precisiononeammunition.com/p...48gr-cpwc-new/

Unfortunately availability has been spotty since Covid started.

Other than wadcutters, whatever shoots well to your sights and gets good penetration. This can vary quite a bit and can change depending on grips, etc. My Model 38 humpback for instance loves Sellier and Bellot 158 grain jacketed soft points and is a relative tack driver with them. Other J's I've shot with the S&B are only average with that load. No rhyme or reason. You may need to experiment a bit to find the right match for your J.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

What Hizzie said…

I have the Harry’s Holsters Icon for my j frames and have been quite satisfied. The Icon 2.0 has recently been released and looks to have some improvements.

I use Federal Gold Medal Match.

The most recent Off-Duty On-Duty podcast details the development of the Georgia Arms Ammunition wadcutter load. Worth a listen.

Hizzie covers it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Precision Delta for practice ammo. https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/ammunition/ Not in stock at this moment sign up for notifications as it will go quick.
    @Lost River has 2 hardcast wadcutter loads. https://www.lostriverammocompany.com/store
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    FGMM for the admin load. For in the speed strip(s), I’ve used everything from WWB 125gr plus P to 130gr bonded Ranger or Hydra Shoks or 125gr Gold Dots or even 158gr LSWC plus P - those will draw blood from my hand if I try to shoot a whole box in one sitting.

I load a mouse fart 105gr lead load for practice.

Lots of good options for pocket carry. Dark Star kydex for IWB.

Which J did you get?

Broken record, but Federal Gold Medal Match 148 gr WC's for my LCR .38 also. I use a Dark Star Gear holster with a steel clip for the gym, otherwise for pocket carry I have a Desantis Nemesis.

User Tag List