Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philips Norelco OneBlade

Site Supporter

Philips Norelco OneBlade

Has anyone tried the Philips Norelco OneBlade?

I broke down and bought one a couple weeks ago and love it. I've tried virtually everything except a straight razor and found most methods lacking. Traditional wet shaving works best, but takes time to properly lather up and I always end up with razor burn. I've tried a variety of disposable, DE Safety, and other types of razors, all failing me in one way or another. I've tried dry electric razors, but they struggle with my curly beard and dry my face out. Wet electric razors with shaving cream miss even more hair. Also, if I miss a day or two with the electric, I have to shave with a blade because most electric razors can't cope with more than a day's growth.

The OneBlade? Dry, it shaves as well as the best traditional electric razor I've used, but doesn't make my face feel dry. It also handles long beard whiskers and curly ones. Short, long, doesn't matter. Wet with shaving cream/gel, it's as close as a blade, but without the razor burn or nicks. I typically shave ever 2-3 days, so this fits my needs perfect. If I need or want a particularly close shave, I can lather up and get that shave. Otherwise, I just hit it a couple times a week dry and it keeps things under control.

I'm sold. Highly recommended. I need to get a 2nd one for travel.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I hate shaving. I’ll have to look into that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I hate shaving. I’ll have to look into that.
    I do too, which is why I only shave 2-3 times a week and have tried so many different methods.

I'd grow a beard, but I hate having one in hot, humid weather (which we get a lot of in the summer).

Chris

Site Supporter
    I have also always hated shaving, usually have a beard, and get razor burn from traditional shaving and get poor results from most electrics, like the hair needing to meet a certain length to cut well.

I've been very happy with the one blade, so much so I actually shaved my face twice a week and kept just a mustache all summer after sticking to a short full beard for years. You do have to swap the blade every now and again, but the wear indicator on it actually works.

"It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    Bit of a ramble though fully on the subject of shaving

Executive summary- quality pre, intra and post shave face products yield the best results regardless of shaving method.
    I typically shave every other day. I do not have a heavy beard.

I started way back in the day with a rotary Norelco. Fast but a so so shave at best with some irritation. I took to shaving the night before and applying a lotion liberally to calm down any irritation by the am.

Moved to any number of disposables that were fairly unremarkable other that the occasional nick. A closer shave to be sure.

Moved to a traditional wet shave with pre shave oil, quality shave creams and Schlick Injector Razors and got a noticeably closer shave. Baby butt smooth on the cheek, a damn fine shave on the neck.

Moved even deeper into wet shaving with classic double edge blades settling on Astra Platinum SP as it was 90% as sharp as a Feather brand blade with less irritation and nicks.

Tried Harry’s and Dollar Shave Club cartridge shavers as they were presents from the kids. Using wet shave techniques like pre shave oil and quality shaving creams, I get 90-95 % of the shave as compared to a double edged razor blade with 90% less irritation and nicks.

As a result, I sold all my old school shave stuff to include birth year stuff with the exception of two Schick Injector family heirlooms and 1 Schick Krona which is nearly universally held as a very mild DE razor.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    yes!

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Moved to a traditional wet shave with pre shave oil, quality shave creams and Schlick Injector Razors and got a noticeably closer shave. Baby butt smooth on the cheek, a damn fine shave on the neck.
    What do you like for pre-shave oil and shave cream?

Site Supporter
    Art of shaving pre shave oil-Unscented, Sandalwood and Coriander/Cardamom.

I am am sure there are others. Some may be cheaper even to include home made stuff. AOS works for me so I have moved on.

Shave Creams- In tubs-The Art shaving flavors mentioned above. Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Luxury Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin.
    In tubes- I think the Dollar Shave Club Shave Cream and the Trader Joes Honey Mango Shave Cream are solid as well.

"Wet Shaving" products, equipment, blades etc is but one more rabbit hole folks like us tend to go down.

It generally goes like this for me. All Products are used liberally:

1. Wash my face with a quality soap i.e. Neutrogena/Neiva etc
    2. Apply pre shave oil and let it sit for a minute or two
    3. Apply my shave cream
    4. For me (and this is quite personal) I go
    a. Neck to ear up
    b. Ear to neck down
    c. Ear to chin across
    c. Aftershave balm/lotion to follow
    d. As per my wife, some kind of lotion with sunscreen in it.

YMMV

Edited to Add: a fine site re all things shaving (and others)

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 02-06-2023 at 02:59 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    The OneBlade definitely makes the “perfect product” list as far as I’m concerned. Small, powerful, sharp, quiet, lightweight—it’s a win, and great for traveling. I’m interested to try it wet; I didn’t know that yielded a closer shave.

User Tag List