Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestions for weekly dry practice for skill maintenance, defensive handgun

A few different perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I can see your point, but it's been my experience that loading/unloading is part of learning manipulations. Sample of one with what I'm doing, but I show people(and have them so 5-10 repetitions) in class with DUMMY rounds(all plastic). I would say 10% of real beginners don't know how to (safely) load and unload/show clear, to include putting the "bullets" in correctly. So I'll loan them 5 plastic rounds and they practice the above. If I don't have their caliber,e.g., .32, I'll loan them a piece so they get the concept.
    To be clear, any minors are accompanied by a responsible adult.
    I like the Airsoft idea. Anyone know if there is an airsoft revolver?
    I think for the less motivated folks that don’t practice, loading and unloading might be enough barrier that they won’t touch their guns….

I taught my wife, father and nephew on Airsoft Glocks before heading to the live range for the first time. It’s great for actually teaching manipulations like mag loading and removing mag before unloading chamber.

My Airsoft revolver…

Name:  2B52F370-43C2-4067-A7E4-7CF351010771.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  57.9 KB

Interesting bit about how during sleep your brain works through memories of the desirable practice.

Would seem to argue to get some dry fire in daily for speeding up and locking in skills.

Motor memory synchronizes during sleep

https://studyfinds.org/sleep-synchronizes-motor-memory/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Interesting bit about how during sleep your brain works through memories of the desirable practice.
    When Tom had the fixed range in Memphis, we offered 8 hours classes in two formats - two four-hour blocks or one eight-hour block. Inevitably, the guys who got the same material, spread across two days performed better.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    As John probably knows, memory consolidation is thought be part of REM slip. Wonder if folks dream about drills between days of classes or after. Some dreams have some relation to recent event but not always. Distributed practice has been known to be better since the early days of learning theory.

Shot up the house with the SIRT today. My wife just sighs.

Site Supporter

Suggestions for weekly dry practice for skill maintenance, defensive handgun

Here’s a dry practice program TLG posted on P-T.com August, 2011. It has a basic routine, reloading, drawing and movement routines. Then he outlines a 4 week training program. It’s simple and quick.

https://pistol-training.com/dry-fire-routine/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List