Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for weekly dry practice for skill maintenance, defensive handgun

Site Supporter
    I have a SIRT Glock 17 and hang this target in the mancave/ office at about 3 yards. Draw and shoot it about 5 to 10 times. I also draw the RDS Glock, shoot a dot and then pseudo-shoot the others. Maybe three times a week. Target is from Greg Ellifritz's site. https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...sistency-drill

Name:  Ellifritz target.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  40.9 KB

Claude Werner, AKA The Tactical Professor(Headhunter on here and the old TPI forum) is a big advocate of CCW oriented training. He created the "1000 days of Dryfire" challenge a few years back. He has a deep emphasis on safe practices to avoid what he terms "negative outcomes"
    His blog has links to all his posts on the subject.

https://thetacticalprofessor.net/

Sincere thanks-and more input solicited if inclined…

@JCN - yep, this is basically for student(s), but I must say I’ve gotten a couple of nuggets myself! And (re)discovered old posts from Todd Green(RIP) on pistol-training.com[looks like it has been kept going by SLG, a friend and one who posted here].
    Statement and question: appreciate your very simple program. Would you specify a distance, or “just a few steps away” from switch.
    I understand the advantage of a SIRT, dedicated dry fire gun, etc., but many will consider that out for financial reasons. Think college students, single moms, retired on fixed income, etc.
    @John Hearne, if you’d care to elaborate on your dry practice session I’m interested.

Thanks again folks for all the input. Anyone else is free to chime in; for example, do you encourage your spouse, children(where age appropriate) or other family/close friendswho are not “enthusiasts” but will take some direction?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    but many will consider that out for financial reasons. Think college students, single moms, retired on fixed income, etc.
    For those groups I would rather they not unload and reload their guns.

I have drilled and mounted cheap red dots on toy guns before.

Something like this for a casual user who doesn’t practice would be just fine.

Name:  DEDDC4C7-54CC-4BD8-BE16-83D3CBC229CC.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  36.0 KB

Leave it out on the coffee table and practice while watching TV.

Cost of a box of ammo and a 30 min lane pass and I think they’d improve more with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    For those groups I would rather they not unload and reload their guns.

I have drilled and mounted cheap red dots on toy guns before.

Something like this for a casual user who doesn’t practice would be just fine.

Name:  DEDDC4C7-54CC-4BD8-BE16-83D3CBC229CC.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  36.0 KB

Leave it out on the coffee table and practice while watching TV.

Cost of a box of ammo and a 30 min lane pass and I think they’d improve more with this.
    Some years ago I used to shoot with a Army SF dude with multiple combat deployments and he was a very good pistolero. The interesting thing was that on a couple of occassions he brought along his 17 year old son to shoot and that kiddo could run a Glock very well also.

First time with his son shooting, when I asked my friend about his son's shooting experience he said it was 99% airsoft and probably hadn't shot an actual firearm for a year prior to that day.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

...children(where age appropriate) ...
    When she was 12, Girl #2 wanted to shoot USPSA. I set her up with a holster and a Bluegun Glock, and she practiced holstering and safe handling (finger out, etc). She was 13 before I felt she was ready to draw and holster a loaded handgun.

I've seen kids as young as 9 at matches, and a lot of them were seriously scary. One boy had his proud dad's Open gun, shooting minor ammo. No way was he ready to handle a non-drop safe 2011 with a 2# trigger in a race holster. I left the bay when the kid was up to shoot. I couldn't watch, and didn't want to be away from hard cover. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a lot of dryfire (or training in general) involved. It's all good now, and the kid is relatively squared away, but I would rather have his training happen in a truly safe way.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-07-2023 at 11:36 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Been there on that. I remember the dad who gave his young son a 454 Casull to shoot. The barrel recoiled into his forehead and the kid died from bleeding under the fracture, IIRC.

I wouldn't allow non drop safe guns at matches, Seen too many folks fall flat or drop guns. We know of the SO in Rochester.

@John Hearne, if you’d care to elaborate on your dry practice session I’m interested.
    I have reserved a YouTube channel for my business. If I can ever finish my storage building/studio, I'll post some detailed videos.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Idiocy!

@Clusterfrack - that was an example of near criminal ignorance/negligence , or however you want to characterize it. I hope I am clear that I wouldn't condone anything like that! My experience has been that young folks have to be teens (or nearly) to be mature enough, physically and mentally, before they should be handling a handgun. That is why I specified "age appropriate". In your specific example, it's my opinion the parent wasn't mature enough to have a handgun. I'm relieved it worked out, but that could have been a catastrophic tragedy in several ways.
    I don't want to derail the thread.
    @JCN : I can see your point, but it's been my experience that loading/unloading is part of learning manipulations. Sample of one with what I'm doing, but I show people(and have them so 5-10 repetitions) in class with DUMMY rounds(all plastic). I would say 10% of real beginners don't know how to (safely) load and unload/show clear, to include putting the "bullets" in correctly. So I'll loan them 5 plastic rounds and they practice the above. If I don't have their caliber,e.g., .32, I'll loan them a piece so they get the concept.
    To be clear, any minors are accompanied by a responsible adult.
    I like the Airsoft idea. Anyone know if there is an airsoft revolver?

Anyone know if there is an airsoft revolver?
    My son has a Colt. I think it might be this one. https://www.evike.com/products/93884/ Works fine, and there are even speedloaders available. Pretty nifty.

BTW, he's 11 and has been shooting handguns for three or four years. Never been more than about 12 inches away from me while doing so, and my attention has never been anywhere other than on him. I think kids can do just fine with handguns when they're quite young, but because they're quite young they need direct and constant supervision, IMHO. So I disagree with you about them needing to be nearly teenagers, though perhaps that's about when I'd be happier seeing them do things like uspsa stages.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

User Tag List