Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P365XL grip issues

P365XL grip issues

Hi all,

I’ve carried a Shield for quite a long time and shoot it well. I like the idea of 50% capacity bump and an extra half inch of barrel, so made the decision to buy a 365XL. I have put 250 rounds through it. Function has been flawless, but I have had two major issues:

1) my accuracy is not good. I did dot torture and was having trouble keeping it in the dots on slow fire at first . I believe this is because the sighting picture is different on a SIG, so I know training can get past that.

2) my support side thumb, in a thumbs forward grip, breaks contact and required repositioning after every shot. I’m not sure why this is but it’s very frustrating and seemingly unique to the geometry of the SIG.

Would love any thoughts or suggestions on how to best modify my grip to get past #2 before I sell and go back to a shield. Also interested if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks!

If you get a chance, handle an XL with a Wilson Combat grip module. It makes a huge difference for me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Fsumach View Post
    Hi all,

I’ve carried a Shield for quite a long time and shoot it well. I like the idea of 50% capacity bump and an extra half inch of barrel, so made the decision to buy a 365XL. I have put 250 rounds through it. Function has been flawless, but I have had two major issues:

1) my accuracy is not good. I did dot torture and was having trouble keeping it in the dots on slow fire at first . I believe this is because the sighting picture is different on a SIG, so I know training can get past that.

2) my support side thumb, in a thumbs forward grip, breaks contact and required repositioning after every shot. I’m not sure why this is but it’s very frustrating and seemingly unique to the geometry of the SIG.

Would love any thoughts or suggestions on how to best modify my grip to get past #2 before I sell and go back to a shield. Also interested if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks!
    I had problems with my shooting at first as well but it has since been corrected. The following were things "I" did of which you might find things that are also applicable.

First I found the grip of the gun to be slightly TOO skinny for what I liked. I could have eventually gotten used to it, but I bought a Hogue grip sleeve to give the gun a little bit more girth in my hand. That helped a lot.

The next thing I did was completely self concocted training. I knew the gun itself wasn't inherently inaccurate so what I did was move away from trying to do any kind of rapid shooting. In fact I did the opposite. Overall it resulted in very low round count drills. No quick draw or drawing from concealment. No time limits at all. I literally would shoot as slow as possible, but with a 100% focus on accuracy. I started out on bigger targets and eventually worked my way down to smaller ones. Eventually I was shooting at what would be like a know your limits target with no time limit. I would start on the biggest one and work my way down taking as much time as I needed. If I missed one I would start over, or do other various forms of games along those lines. Once I was fairly proficient at closer distances I moved back some and tried again.

If you are shooting with a red dot also be very aware of how the dot reacts after each shot. Does it go straight up and back down after each shot? Or does it go to the right or left? If so, how much? Use that data to correct your grip or trigger pull or whatever it may be to create a better feel.

After a few hundred rounds I was fairly competent and would then move on to other stuff. It is also worth noting that I DID NOT do any of that all at once, or all on one day. I would go shoot maybe 50 rounds then stop entirely. I would shoot a 2-3 times a week instead of one big range session. This approach is critical because it creates muscle memory from a cold start.

Thanks Alamo for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    If you get a chance, handle an XL with a Wilson Combat grip module. It makes a huge difference for me.
    Same here. It doesn't seem like much of a change, but it was a substantial difference for me.

Good suggestions above. A set of Talon grips might be worth looking into as well.

I prefer the WC grip for shooting by a wide margin, but carry in the OEM grip as it is ‘flatter’ for me.

The trigger reach is definitely too short for me. Ive tried adding multiple layers of hockey tape to increase that, but it's still not great. I'm considering trying a shield plus but I'm not sure if it'd be much better.

If only I could get something like a G43 slide on a G26 frame. I might be the one guy on earth who'd buy that.

I had grip issues with 365 as well. It's too skinny/narrow for me. Wilson Combat grip made no difference. I barely noticed it was a different grip. Ultimately though I hate throwing money at something over and over to see what sticks. Sold it and got something else. I think if you were ok with the Shield should have just went with the Shield plus

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I had grip issues with 365 as well. It's too skinny/narrow for me. Wilson Combat grip made no difference. I barely noticed it was a different grip. Ultimately though I hate throwing money at something over and over to see what sticks. Sold it and got something else. I think if you were ok with the Shield should have just went with the Shield plus

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I almost bought an OR Shield Plus. It has a lot going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I almost bought an OR Shield Plus. It has a lot going for it.
    OR Shield Pluses are a smoking deal right now with the rebate. They can be found for about $350 after $50 rebate and comes with the optic-ready cut and tritium nightsights. Only complaint I have with the Shield Plus is the grip texture tends to grab my shirts and wears on them. I'm currently caught choosing between a P365XL with Wilson Combat grip and my Shield Pluses.

User Tag List