Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training Phase 2

Shot it for the second time today after 2 weeks of dry fire and seeing some improvements at all levels.

It's laborious to log every thing I did today so I'll just hit the highlights.

3 yard strings
    ranged from .91-1.04. 3/5 sub second.
    I hit a .75 draw a personal best for me.

7 yard strings

15 yard strings
    My first set of runs was garbage in terms of accuracy. I was milking the grip so I dialed it in on the second set of runs.
    19/20 alphas.

Posting my times from two weeks ago below to compare. Gaining hundredths at 3 yards. Gaining a tenth at 7 yards. Gaining .2-.3 at 15.

Comparative times from last session:
    3 yard strings
    1.0s
    1.02s
    .96s

7 yard transitions
    First Run
    1.15/.24/.27/.22=1.88
    1.23/.27/.28/.24=2.02
    1.17/.38/.35/.18=2.08 (tension)
    1.18/.26/.24/.22=1.90

Second Run
    1.10/.22/.28/.19=1.79
    1.28/.21/.23/.21=1.93
    1.05/.26/.24/.19=1.74
    1.10/.21/.23/.21=1.75

15 yard transitions

First Run
    1.35/.32/.39/.30=2.36
    1.39/.32/.37/.41=2.49
    1.39/.33/.40/.39=2.51
    1.43/.36/.42/.34=2.55

Second Run
    1.31/.31/.36/.31=2.29
    1.41/.28/.36/.35=2.40
    1.31/.33/.34/.32=2.30
    1.42/.31/.36/.39=2.48

Finally got to do this live for the first time.

3 yards:
    .99 (.84 .15)
    .93 (.78 . 15)
    .90 (.74 .16)
    I had one shot go way high (like 6 inches above the next highest shot) on the second string...I dropped it from the measurement that follows, and I decided to drop one shot from each set of measurements like on the first set of SWYNTS. I don't know if that's still the intention in this drill. Anyway. I was at 7 1/4x 7 1/4

7 yards, no transitions:
    1.37 (1.13 .24)
    1.3 (1.09 .21)
    1.31 (1.09 .22)
    3 x 6 1/4 with one dropped

7 yards, transitions:
    1.86 (1.12 .26 .25 .23)
    1.86 (1.12 .23 .25 .22)
    1.83 (1.11 .23 .28 .21)
    1.68 (.99 .24 .23 .22) had my first shot in this group pretty far off to the right, and dropped it from the measurement of the right target. I didn't drop a shot from the other target: left target 9x7, right target 6 1/2 x 5 1/2

15 yards:
    2.73 (1.52 .42 .39 .4)
    2.53 (1.34 .39 .4 .4)
    2.81 (1.36 .54 .47 .44)
    2.65 (1.34 .47 .42 .42)
    targets = 5 1/4 x 7 1/4 and 9 x 4 1/4

All things considered, I am still needing to get more consistent on hitting the grip solidly out of the holster and then paying more visual attention, especially at 7 yards.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Hate to seem greedy, JCN, but.........is there going to be a Phase 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Hate to seem greedy, JCN, but.........is there going to be a Phase 3?
    There could be… seems like only you and @JCS are actively doing this.

We could do it as a joint training thread and go as fast or slow as you wanted.

@Risto
    @ssb

Checking in!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Risto
    @ssb

Checking in!
    I’ve been wrapped up in a murder case for most of the month so I haven’t had a ton of free time — it seems every time I get home my phone starts ringing again. I’ve managed to get 2-3 real dry fire sessions per week in, but I’ll be honest and say my maintenance has been ensuring I’m drawing at the SWYNTS speed and seeing the dot because if I’m limited in practice I want that mostly going towards drawstroke. I am consistently seeing the dot in the upper half of a USPSA A-zone at a simulated 7 yards in a 1.2s PAR, and at about 80% on a 1.1s PAR. Most importantly, I am seeing the dot be steady in that zone. I am very happy with that performance improvement.

I have messed with lateral transitions a few times dry and the pacing seems to be smoothing out a bit. I need to figure out a solution to safely shoot them in the manner you do (sideways USPSA with both scoring zones on it, close-ish together) at the ranges I have access to. The target hangers at the indoor range won’t support it, and the outdoor range I’d need to improvise something with the target stands. Attempting some live fire lateral transitions it at the outdoor range I have access to where the target stands are about a yard apart yielded unimpressive results for my first and only attempt on those, with a ratio of about 50/50 A’s to C’s. More of my C’s came on the target I was transitioning to. I believe I either outran my headlights and did not have sufficient sight picture for the shots I needed, or in the alternative I was not breaking the shot at the correct timing on my swing. But, it isn’t a 1-1 comparison for what you show in your video.

@Risto
    @ssb

Checking in!
    I’ve run into some life disruptions that messed my nice consistent routine up… but ive been chugging along with about 5x a week with the phase 1, I piggyback phase 2 usually but not always. . Had to skip a whole week while my son was hospitalized. My thumb/wrist is getting waaay better and ready for some live fire soon. I shot a few rounds (not drills) and it seems ok.

Sorry I’m lagging behind. Please don’t wait for me.

I’m in for another phase or thread as long as @JCN will put up with us. I’ve been doing phase 2 consistently dry. My last range trip got all messed up when I left all my mags at home so I did it dry at the actual distances one day.

One thing I am starting to fight is being a little lazy with vision and using the par as a pass fail. It’s one thing to do it under par. It’s another to do it with the appropriate vision.

But my draw is as fast as it’s ever been in my life. I’m starting to drop pars when live Fire matches the times and adding draws to small targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    I’ve run into some life disruptions that messed my nice consistent routine up… but ive been chugging along with about 5x a week with the phase 1, I piggyback phase 2 usually but not always. . Had to skip a whole week while my son was hospitalized. My thumb/wrist is getting waaay better and ready for some live fire soon. I shot a few rounds (not drills) and it seems ok.

Sorry I’m lagging behind. Please don’t wait for me.
    No apologies necessary, you're putting work in and you're trying and that's good enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I’ve been wrapped up in a murder case for most of the month so I haven’t had a ton of free time — it seems every time I get home my phone starts ringing again. I’ve managed to get 2-3 real dry fire sessions per week in, but I’ll be honest and say my maintenance has been ensuring I’m drawing at the SWYNTS speed and seeing the dot because if I’m limited in practice I want that mostly going towards drawstroke. I am consistently seeing the dot in the upper half of a USPSA A-zone at a simulated 7 yards in a 1.2s PAR, and at about 80% on a 1.1s PAR. Most importantly, I am seeing the dot be steady in that zone. I am very happy with that performance improvement.
    I think that's totally appropriate and you're putting the work in. @JCS had a little breakthrough when he started treating it like exercise. Hard to motivate or find time sometimes, but feel better after doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I have messed with lateral transitions a few times dry and the pacing seems to be smoothing out a bit. I need to figure out a solution to safely shoot them in the manner you do (sideways USPSA with both scoring zones on it, close-ish together) at the ranges I have access to. The target hangers at the indoor range won’t support it, and the outdoor range I’d need to improvise something with the target stands. Attempting some live fire lateral transitions it at the outdoor range I have access to where the target stands are about a yard apart yielded unimpressive results for my first and only attempt on those, with a ratio of about 50/50 A’s to C’s. More of my C’s came on the target I was transitioning to. I believe I either outran my headlights and did not have sufficient sight picture for the shots I needed, or in the alternative I was not breaking the shot at the correct timing on my swing. But, it isn’t a 1-1 comparison for what you show in your video.
    Hey I'm here to help and we can come up with some solutions for you. I've used almost every type of equipment out there, so if you post a picture of your target hangers I'm sure to have a solution for you. Also describe what your outdoor situation is like. The good news is that it's just a skill drill and we can adjust and scale it to get what we need out of it. It doesn't have to be exact and like the initial drill... there isn't actually a target standard.

It's measured in your progress, not in the absolute standard.

So I think @Moylan and @JCS we can make an additional thread with some more USPSA gamey type stuff and keep this thread for working simple close transitions.

So I think @Moylan and @JCS we can make an additional thread with some more USPSA gamey type stuff and keep this thread for working simple close transitions.
    Sounds great. Thanks!!

User Tag List