Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training Phase 2

Gear change time.

New target

Name:  7C344A52-BD84-4745-B2B3-196272F81876.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  88.9 KB

Seven yards, 8” center, 4” wings.

Draw and two shots to center using your 7 yard SWYNTS vision and pacing.

Transition to one of the 4” wings and use your 15 yard transition vision and pacing.

Demonstration times and hits:

Name:  8BC6F8F3-5EB5-4B2D-902C-5542EDE7FC8B.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  25.3 KB

You can see where this is going!

But start here and post up.

@Mike C
    @Moylan
    @JCS
    @Clusterfrack

Note that would be my 7 / 15 yard IDPA “must hit” pace but would be my 10 / 20 yard USPSA minor pace because of scoring differences.

Example of seeing and gear shifts

Listen to the cadence changes for different targets.

That’s shooting to vision instead of hosing.

I did this dry today and hope to get in some live runs tomorrow, but we'll see whether I can fit it in. Interesting. I did the smaller circles too fast in dry today and will have to back off that pace to my 15 yard pace tomorrow.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

I shot this 3 times. First time completely cold and I missed both 7 yard shots. Did it in 2:46 but obviously was not paying attention yet.

2nd time, 2:48 clean. 1:27 .24 .52 .45 I transitioned to the left hand small target.

3rd time, 2:45 with one 7 yard shot about one inch to the right of the circle. 1:16 .25 .56 .48.

It feels sort of different to be aiming within a circle rather than aiming sort of at a dot. I think this is connected with something I'm working on right now, which is always picking a small spot in the target to aim at. So I'm glad to have these new targets, because I think they'll help me on that.

Interesting that my pace is similar to JCN's IDPA must hit pace, and I'm obviously going faster than my must hit pace, as the miss shows! But it seems like the right pace for my USPSA-focused shooting, anyway.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

@Moylan I think your observations are spot on. I think varying up the vision cues and inputs help broaden the skill set.

Keep close attention on what your dot looks like and what kind of visual confirmation and trigger press you need to confidently hit the target.

Imagine they’re steel. You’re trying to hit them while leaving a little border of target to prevent edge hits and misses.

You can see how drilling the basic SWYNTS was necessary before this point.

Did this in dry.

I’m still working on pushing limits of vision and speed in dry but will try and rein it in on live.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Did this in dry.

I’m still working on pushing limits of vision and speed in dry but will try and rein it in on live.
    Push vision and speed in dry… but try and hold the dot away from the borders of the target.

Think 25 yard head shot.

What level of reproducibility is key

Achievement and skill have kind of a distinct progression.

First. Can you do it. Ever.

Then can you do it. A couple times out of 10 in a row.

Then more and more.

Then can do it 9/10 times.

Then 19/20 times.

They’re different levels of achievement.

Some people will feel like “they can do it” because they can sometimes do it.

Getting assessment of an estimate of “how many times out of 10” do you think you can do it is important for judgment and implementation.

Phase 1 SWYNTS was getting to being able to do it.

Phase 2-3+ is being able to judge based off vision and mechanics and picking a fidelity level appropriate for the task at hand. It’s different for USPSA versus IDPA.

So today I’m going to experiment with phase 3 speed and vision to see how reproducible.

From concealment:
    At 2.5 seconds I think it’s probably 10/10 doable.
    At sub-2.0 seconds I think probably 5-7/10 doable.
    I can probably do it with enough tries at 1.6 seconds.

Different vision requirements that scale.

A little phase 2

@Jamesa I'll respond here because it's kind of phase 2 related. Don't worry about mixing phase 2 and 3 here, there's such little traffic that we will favor whomever is participating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post
    I did Phase 1 first so was warmed up and did the 3 yard and 7 yard iterations. No 15 yard today as my hands were beginning to hurt. The biggest takeaway was the visual feedback. My shots on the first target were visually acceptable but I was on target much better on the second target. If this had been live fire I would say the groups on target one were 8" and the groups on target two were 3". This was true whether going right to left or vice versa. I'm not sure what that means. I'd appreciate your thoughts @JCN.
    So you'll have to parse out more data to come up with a hypothesis.

What was the transition and split breakdown. That can explain differences in group size.

What was the distance of the first versus second shot from the target dot. Basically if the second shot was close to the spot but your first shot was far away, then it's index / confirmation issue off the draw. If both pair were off from the aiming dot it could be that the index was off enough that it also fouled the follow up shot. Hard to tell.

So I could use more data to try and help. Sometimes a camera set up aimed at the target can help ascertain what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Not JCN, but being 4 months into the program...
    You're like "JCN's right hand man," though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post
    For no particular reason I decided to move the holster back to 3:00 and voila, that seems to have helped immensely. Duh!
    @JCS is correct. There isn't a perfect holster position.

However, there are holster positions that are easier to accurately index than others. Because the muzzle path is mechanically simpler.

For me, an AIWB draw is mechanically more complex but has a reproducible flip. The 3 o'clock draw is the optimal muzzle path draw. 2:30 is kind of a mish mash of vagueness that's hard to reproduce exactly.

I made a video that might explain a little bit better:

Good stuff! I understand what you're saying and also agree with JCS's advice to stop changing things and just do it! I will stick with 3:00 and drill it in! I don't have the data you mentioned and it will be a week or so before I can gather it.

User Tag List