Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want to be Buried, Cremated or COMPOSTED?

My life is not about me. I didn’t make my body, and neither I nor those that follow have the right to disrespect it. It was a gift freely given, and I’ll treat it as such. Burning is respectful when respectfully done, but the remains no matter their form should be treated respectfully— in my case, I’m instructed to inter them in consecrated ground. Not because it will matter; I’m not worried that I’ll be missing a fingernail at the resurrection — but because I want to honor the giver of the gift.
    Ignore Alien Orders

After 25 years of volunteer service in NJ as a firefighter, I have, in simpler terms, a life membership in the NJ Relief association.
    This status basically pays my widow/family up to 12k towards my funeral.
    Could put on an ill attended parade for that stupid money.

When my FIL passed a short while ago, we'd had arranged thru the nursing home for direct cremation, which was paid for pre-deceased...which may or may not be the rules in NH...I honestly can't remember.

$1500 in NH.
    Cheap money, and included an urn.

Winna-winna, chicken dinnah.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I think burial at sea may be an option for you. Maybe not, because I don't know your service dates. I think I'm going to use this one as the last honor for my family and my military service. Long lines of service in my family right back to to the American revolution. I could use a veterans cemetery but that's just taking up space for no good reason. Somebody has to maintain those. Usually the fed or local orgs.

https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Suppor...Burial-at-Sea/

The EPA even has a system (bot) that will report it.

https://burialatsea.epa.gov/

Your relatives won't have to go through endless searches of cemetery records and pay for sites to find where they disposed of your remains, if you care about that. Might not seem relevant today but I've spent some hours researching that.

At least make sure someone spends the money to do an obit in a local newspaper. My stepfather was too cheap to do that for my mom. Lasts forever... at least for me.

Last.

I served on the destroyer USS Nicholson DD 982 and we performed a burial at sea for a deceased Air Force Veteran / Retiree if I recall correctly.

I think this is how I will be buried as well.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Anything other than burial. I don't want to be in a grave site no one ever comes to visit.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Anything other than burial. I don't want to be in a grave site no one ever comes to visit.
    I'm totally OK with that. It's not what I'm going to get, but I'll be in no position to object. I'd prefer to not be embalmed and buried in an unmarked grave in one of my favorite natural areas.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    After 25 years of volunteer service in NJ as a firefighter, I have, in simpler terms, a life membership in the NJ Relief association.
    This status basically pays my widow/family up to 12k towards my funeral.
    Could put on an ill attended parade for that stupid money.

When my FIL passed a short while ago, we'd had arranged thru the nursing home for direct cremation, which was paid for pre-deceased...which may or may not be the rules in NH...I honestly can't remember.

$1500 in NH.
    Cheap money, and included an urn.

Winna-winna, chicken dinnah.
    I unfortunately have recent experience with cremation. If anyone is interested in this option, I suggest you preidentify a crematorium and prepay if possible. When I needed cremation services the first time (my mother in law) I found the local funeral homes were much more expensive than the crematoriums. The one I used for her, my wife and my parents even has a small chapel/service room available to clients.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I see a lot of death through work and as was said above, it definitely helps loved ones to have everything planned and payed for in advance. Having conversations with your family ahead of time really helps, especially in those unexpected deaths, so they don't have to scramble to find something. One hospital I worked in had the luxury of giving families a few days to find a funeral home. Another, you had to make arrangements and get the body out that same night.
    If you do want to donate your body, you need to get that figured out in advance too, most donation services will not accept you if you've already died, and need the paperwork all done before your death. And in those cases you need your family to be aware because most have a time limit on how long before they need to take the body.
    Cremation can be the cheapest option for sure. If I remember right one of the local crematories here starts at $650, prices go up from there, especially at the funeral homes.
    I've told my wife that ideally I'd be buried without embalming, but cremation is cheap and fine by me. She won't do it, doesn't like cremation. Funerals and burials are for the living, a chance to mourn. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Site Supporter
    Extreme burial rituals may help with grief. I'd have to research that. In part, it is part of our existential crisis that does want to admit that we cease after death. That is the appeal of most religions - the thought of some kind of afterlife or continued existence for good people. Of course, despite the testimonials of believers, there is no evidence for such. The burial rituals supposedly aid your transition to the afterlife for a good many cultures.

My mother went to the funeral of one of her friends (all old ladies as the hubbies had passed on). The coffin was covered with a blanket of roses. Anothe friend sitting next to my Mom said: I want to be buried with a blanket of roses also. My Mom said: I don't care if I'm buried with a blanket of shit. You're DEAD!

She was cremated, BTW.

I propose for P-F members and the gaming, realism debate - you donate your skin to be tanned and stretched into a realistic USPSA target such that the As vs fast Cs controversy can be seen more realistically. Of course, you could be stuffed for a good 3D target.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Cremated and my ashes sent to Varanasi, India where they can be cast across the Ganges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just make sure you do the cremation part. This became a big issue during Covid due to the death toll, on both the Yamuna and Ganges:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57154564

https://www.businessinsider.in/inter...w/82861222.cms
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Extreme burial rituals may help with grief. I'd have to research that. In part, it is part of our existential crisis that does want to admit that we cease after death. That is the appeal of most religions - the thought of some kind of afterlife or continued existence for good people. Of course, despite the testimonials of believers, there is no evidence for such. The burial rituals supposedly aid your transition to the afterlife for a good many cultures.
    Do you have any evidence against a continued existence?

User Tag List